Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good news for Rovers

• 15-07-2005 4:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭

Fron the Irish Independent breaking news...

"The examiner appointed to Shamrock Rovers football club said this afternoon that it's prospects of survival had improved enormously.

All the creditors of the club have accepted proposals put forward.

They now have to be approved by the High Court next week.

Hughes Blake Accountants said a structure was now in place for a strong future for the club."

Hopefully this will spell the end of all the trouble Rovers have been true, the eircom league needs to keep a club the size of rovers. To keep the club going in the premier league with no home for the past 20 years or so and still pull in good crowds is phenomenal, I would hazard a guess that it would be the only club in the Eircom League that could do this.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Good news , even if they have a lot of bad fans it would still be a bad thing if any Irish club just ceased to exist . Although it might be very tuff for them next season with the prospect of them playing in the 1st division .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

I think the fans get a bit of a bad rap. One of my mate's is a die-hard fan and I have been to a few Rover's games with him. The only one there has ever been trouble at was the recent Shel's game and in fairness it was the shel's fans who started to throw bottles, even though the rovers fans should not have been on the pitch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

I have to say no matter how much I despise alot of their fans, I am truly delighted that it appears that Shamrock Rovers are on the verge of short term survival. Irish football cannot afford to lose one of their big clubs and hopefully this will be the first step fro them to get their house in order and build for the future. Even though today is a defining and vital day in their history, they still have a massive amount of work to get done. The 400 club are a credit to the club (despite the fact they have some hooligans in their fanbase) and set an example to fans of other clubs. However they will need a permanent owner of the club who will take them further. The 400 club are not in this for the long term and won't have the finances to take them for years to come.

Rovers have won the battle but still have to win the war.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

So they get to pay creditors Xcent in the €uro.

Wildly overspending on players and other things they couldn't afford.

They have spent money given them specifically for the stadium on players wages.

False accounts submitted to gain the licence, then a token points deduction, a punishment not even prescribed for the crime. They were lucky not to lose their licence then, and are even luckier now.

Yet here is a get out clause. How about we allow every other club to do the same. Shels, Cork, Bohs, Drogheda we're all in the same boat, struggling to keep our heads above the waterline, and here come Rovers with their overspending and they get bailed out when it looks like it is all catching up with them.

Sure Shels have (probably) the most expensive squad in the country wages wise, what if they don't qualify for the UEFA competitions next year, or the Setanta Cup. They have all this outlay of money, and suddenly don't have the reserves to cover it, what then?

What about Dublin City? I'm sure if they had have spent like Rovers did on wages last year then it is they, not Rovers, who would be in the Premier League now. Would you all be on here then, or would you be bemoaning the fact that such a new club are allowed to get away with such an abomination. One wonders.

That claptrap about them being one of Irelands oldest, most successful clubs simply doesn't wash with me. SO WHAT?. They cheated on their finances, over spent and lied to the eircom League licencing committee.

This is a disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

I have to say no matter how much I despise alot of their fans, I am truly delighted that it appears that Shamrock Rovers are on the verge of short term survival. Irish football cannot afford to lose one of their big clubs and hopefully this will be the first step fro them to get their house in order and build for the future. Even though today is a defining and vital day in their history, they still have a massive amount of work to get done. The 400 club are a credit to the club (despite the fact they have some hooligans in their fanbase) and set an example to fans of other clubs. However they will need a permanent owner of the club who will take them further. The 400 club are not in this for the long term and won't have the finances to take them for years to come.

Rovers have won the battle but still have to win the war.

Big clubs :D your having a laugh they are crap and i hope they get relagated,as for Roddy Collins,what a mouth,who can forget what he done to Dublin City last season,absolutely shameful :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Shamrock Rovers is still the greatest club in Irish footballing history though. Tis a shame the club is being run by scumbags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Draupnir wrote:
    Shamrock Rovers is still the greatest club in Irish footballing history though. Tis a shame the club is being run by scumbags.

Luckily its the fans who are now taking over.........

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

KdjaC wrote:
    Luckily its the fans who are now taking over.........

kdjac

Yeah and a large proportion of them are scumbags as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

jonny68 wrote:
    Yeah and a large proportion of them are scumbags as well

:rolleyes:
    Thats what he was implying .

Advertisement