Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Season 2, episode 1: "Scattered"

• 15-07-2005 6:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭

Golly gosh, is it that time again?!

Season 2 of Galactica begins tonight in the US, continuing immediately after the events of Kobol's Last Gleaming. Although it doesn't air on Sky until October, lets be fair. Most of us will have seen the episode by Sunday.

Now I'll avoid spoilers, but one thing I will note is that the entire opening credits have been overhauled. Gone from the very start are the "Cylons were created by man..." part, which I think a lot of people found very annoying. It might have been needed in 33, but in each episode? Also, the main opening credits have been changed. Again.

In the US airing, the haunting music of the UK credits (it was actually a chanted prayer to God for salvation) was changed to an "uplifting" beat mandated by Bonnie Hammer, which everyone hated, as well as fewer shots of Vipers exploding. The UK theme and shots have been restored for season 2, with one big change: The Taiko music and spoilers have been removed entirely.

Now that covers what I wanted to say on that, heh.

So where did we leave off?

El Presidente and Apollo are both in chains after the coup staged by Adama, after El Presidente ordered Starbuck to return to Caprica.

Adama was shot twice by Boomer, now revealed to the crew as a Cylon infiltrator, after completing her mission to destroy the Basestar orbiting Kobol.

Starbuck had met Helo and Boomer on Caprica after retrieving the Arrow of Apollo and having a jolly old bitch fight with Six.

Lastly, Gaius was among the Raptor crew stranded on Kobol after it was shot down by Cylon raiders, with the Cylon plan and his role in it being finally revealed.

How was tonight's Galactica? 25 votes

It was amazing!
    0% 0 votes
    It was great!
    4% 1 vote
    It was okay...
    88% 22 votes
    It was crap!
    8% 2 votes
    I'd rather watch Stargate!
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I strongly resent the implication of the ordering of the final option. Are you declaring war?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Steven

Spoilers gone = Good
    UK Theme = Good
    The taiko was kind of cool though :/

I will revisit this thread in october unless some kind soul wants to donate broadband to me ;) It's a pity really. I enjoyed the constant ridiculous (yet sometimes accurate) speculation that these threads throw up :(

[edit] Lol, I hadn't even noticed. I thought we were all unified in our dislike of Andromeda and Enterprise.

Fenster, if this escalates into global war and our civilisation is forced to abandon earth to form 12 distant colonies then you would have silenced all those that debate its realism ;) [/edit]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

ixoy wrote:
    I strongly resent the implication of the ordering of the final option. Are you declaring war?

Atlantis' treatment of Colm Meaney was the final straw :mad:
    Steven wrote:
    Lol, I hadn't even noticed. I thought we were all unified in our dislike of Andromeda and Enterprise.

Andromeda and Enterprise have finished up now. Suggest a suitable scapegoat and I'll request the poll edited. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭Haruspex

Last week Sci-Fi released an outstanding promo in advance of tonight's episode.
    Didn't see a link posted up on the BSG forum so here you go...enjoy! :)
    WARNING: Minor spoilers

Promo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

I assume its on at 2100hrs EST, yes/no ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Excellent promo btw.

Im expected Scattered to be an Action-fest :D and the 2nd episode to be a quieter, more cerebral affair.

SofaKing wrote:
    Excellent promo btw.

Im expected Scattered to be an Action-fest :D and the 2nd episode to be a quieter, more cerebral affair.

You're in for a suprise :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Good episode overall. The lack of spoilers at the start is great and I hope this is kept up :) Kinda predictable overall but enough action and talky buts to keep the episode nice and balanced.

Needed a tad more Baltar and Six for my tastes tho :)

Next weeks episode looks damm action packed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

very good episode imho and the next one looks good also , roll on next weekend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

Eh, did anyone see the screen above Gaida's head as he unplugged the network? The virus got in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,296 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Good stuff ,gr8 to have it back.
    Spoiler
    Few holes in the plot with regard to space jumps;had they no record of the previous coordinates and the fact that the vipers were seemingly outnumbered about 10 to 1.
    The cylons really are toying with the humans.

Best show on tv by a few hundred miles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

Seriously, look at the display: http://www.minds.nuim.ie/~breach/bsg.jpg

JustHalf wrote:
    Seriously, look at the display: http://www.minds.nuim.ie/~breach/bsg.jpg

That's what you get for not using shorewall, hehe.

I just saw the episode. It took away somewhat that the video was "fuzzy". Not bad quality. Pretty damm sweet. I'm debating what do give it, as they're still reusing GFX shots from the pilot. Grr.

Enjoyed that! Great battle scenes - mmm, pretty SFX.

* Baltar - Good to see they're giving his madness a new arc in the baby storyline. Now she said the baby was "figuratively and literally" his. So it's a literal baby. Given she's in his head, doesn't it not imply that CapricaBoomer is preggers with Baltar's baby? Although Lordy knows how they did it.

* Prez - Didn't do too much but glad she stuck by her convinctions. Interesting at the end when the guard asked to pray for her and viewed her as a sort of Messiah - this will clearly have implications for things to come. Will she become a cult figure, ever more divisive?

* Apollo - How long will his new-found role last? Tighe has good reason to be angry with him but I imagine Adama Sr. will too. Can he forgive him? Should[/i[] he? By his own tough rules - no.

* Tighe - Not too much new here but it was acted well. I assume we'll see him crack under the strain of command in the next couple of episodes.

Wonder if that new medic/doc and Gaida are being setup for bigger roles this year?

Hmm, more things:
    The medic is Jamie Bamber's RL wife. You can tell she's from London. :p

The jump coordinates: This doesn't make sense to me. Galactica jumped to the new coordinates, the fleet to the old. So why not jump to the old? I could really geek out on this one, but I'll just put it down to Its In The Script.

The Cylon software attack. A lot of people on other boards were wondering about this (then again, they're mostly TV workers, not computer geeks). Firstly, the wondered why the Galactica would have wi-fi (basically). You'd need it for targeting and navigational data, etc. By at least bogging down the bandwith you hurt them.

The nested firewalls also made sense. The network ran in a chrooted enviroment. Crack the first system, move to the next, you're still in a chroot. And so on.

I'm a geek.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I enjoyed it... but it didn't quite do it for me for some reason. Particularly the stuff happening down on Kobol was all a bit of a cliché. And who was that hiding in the trees firing at them? I wouldn't think Cylons would be hiding in some bushes. And they were then able to run around the corner and evade them completely. Caley(sp) was pretty good though, I hope we get to see more of her this year.

I loved the old flashback scenes. The haircuts were amazing. I hope we get to see more stuff from the era.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭stakey

* Baltar - Good to see they're giving his madness a new arc in the baby storyline. Now she said the baby was "figuratively and literally" his. So it's a literal baby. Given she's in his head, doesn't it not imply that CapricaBoomer is preggers with Baltar's baby? Although Lordy knows how they did it.

we dont see baltar's baby leading me to believe that the child is asian and thus leading me to believe that six is going to perhaps steal sharon's baby. just a thought

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,296 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

The baby is Baltar's and No 6 most likely.
    He had been riding her for 2 years previously to the Cylon attack on Caprica so its quite probable that she was pregnant.
    I'm not sure how far down the timeline we are but I'd say its only 3-4 months after the attacks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

Just back from the states and thought the new BSG was great and ya think that little ***** got through too ;)

Looks like there was no break at all in the filming it was like i just missed a week or summit and looks to be another great season - cant wait.

Nukem

EDIT:there was a few good intro shows - behind the scenes and all that on sci-fi the day before which i hope they show here too

Just watched it and loved it.My american cousins left the U.S sci fi channel "all new friday night" schedule on the "tape" at the end.
    Stargate sg1,stargate atlantis and this from 8pm.

I'll be in New York on friday week,theres a possibility I wont be going out on the tear there untill after 11 :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

More on the whole Cylon baby thing please :)

Though I guess you can't expect to have everything resolved in the first episode. Btw, how did the crew manage to forget about the Cylon ship embedded in their hull towards the end?

Fenster wrote:
    Andromeda and Enterprise have finished up now. Suggest a suitable scapegoat and I'll request the poll edited. :p
    Charmed. There's too many Stargate fans here for that poll to be valid! Sure 'Charmed' isn't sci-fi as such, but it's in the fantasy genre. Or how about 'Power Rangers'?

Is anyone else glad they stuck with the UK theme like I am? For those who didn't know, the US airings got a more upbeat theme tune when it aired there but Ronald D. Moore decided that the more mournful UK one would be the new official one for all S2 broadcasts. He also got rid of the spoilers before the credits due to complaints - good! I hated having to shut my eyes before it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

yeah, I'm glad they stuck with the sombe and somewhat tragic UK theme. And getting of spoilers can only be a good thing! I'm happy.

Part two should be entertaining :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I'm glad nearly everyone agreed on the poll.

I've been watching the 1978 episodes recently. The cylons were more fun, but the new show is better in almost every other way.

Life is better with Battlestar! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Praetorian wrote:
    I'm glad nearly everyone agreed on the poll.

I've been watching the 1978 episodes recently. The cylons were more fun, but the new show is better in almost every other way.

Life is better with Battlestar! :)
    The last time I watched a classic episode I saw the guy who played Maj Cullah (sp) in Star Trek Voyager in an almost indentical part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

ixoy wrote:
    Charmed. There's too many Stargate fans here for that poll to be valid! Sure 'Charmed' isn't sci-fi as such, but it's in the fantasy genre. Or how about 'Power Rangers'?

Is anyone else glad they stuck with the UK theme like I am? For those who didn't know, the US airings got a more upbeat theme tune when it aired there but Ronald D. Moore decided that the more mournful UK one would be the new official one for all S2 broadcasts. He also got rid of the spoilers before the credits due to complaints - good! I hated having to shut my eyes before it.

Iv read the UK theme has chanting in it that is all about the cylons beliefs in God and their destiny. Will try finding the exact translation and post it here.

It was me who posted that:
    AUM BHOOR BHUWAH SWAHA,
    TAT SAVITUR VARENYAM
    BHARGO DEVASAYA DHEEMAHI
    DHIYO YO NAHA PRACHODAYAT

Translation:

Oh God! Thou art the Giver of Life, Remover of pain and sorrow,
    The Bestower of happiness, Oh! Creator of the Universe,
    May we receive thy supreme sin-destroying light,
    May Thou guide our intellect in the right direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭Haruspex

Nukem wrote:
    EDIT:there was a few good intro shows - behind the scenes and all that on sci-fi the day before which i hope they show here too

I think what you may refer to is available here
    Decent enough fansite (content wise).

WARNING: Clips are not dial-up friendly!

Ratings are in - Top-rated Battlestar Galactica finished off the night with its second season premiere, "Scattered." The episode delivered 3,053,000 total viewers, earning a 2.6 household rating.

The show was cable's most-watched program that night for men 18 to 49 and men 25 to 54.

AFAIK, 2.6 is good but not great for BSG. Typically, season premiers should be higher than season averages. Both SG:1 and SG:A were down too. Let's hope it's not a sign of things to come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

saw the episode in the states. Was alright but the ending and the teaser for the second episode certainly livened things up as the first episode only really went through the motions of events after the season finale. The series is huge in states well if you believe the PR stratey-"best show on TV" wheres its emmy nominations? saw the last ten minutes of atlantis and it didnt strike me as promising as the season finale suggested though since I didnt see the whole thing I suppose I cant comment. Hopefully sky will start showing the 3 shows soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

ixoy wrote:
    AFAIK, 2.6 is good but not great for BSG. Typically, season premiers should be higher than season averages. Both SG:1 and SG:A were down too. Let's hope it's not a sign of things to come.

Sci-Fi channel doesn't have great penetration over in the US. They have a good Friday night line-up these days thanks to BSG and its acquisition of Stargate. However, outside Friday night, it shows nothing but crap, mostly reality shows. Many people may have decided since last year that it wasn't worth the expense of paying for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Classic Six / Gaius scene:

Six: “You’re going to make a wonderful father...”
    Gaius: “Yeah... [realizes what was said] You’re speaking metaphorically...”

Six: “Do you want to hold her?”
    Gaius: “Nnnnn... yes.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

It's great to have BSG back now. I like the theme tune at the beginning so I'm glad they didn't change to the American version. I wish they'd drop the "Cylons were created by man....etc" bit at the beginning though. If you don't know this by now you probably shouldn't be watching. It has been reduced in length but I think they could drop it all together.
    Andromeda and Enterprise have finished up now. Suggest a suitable scapegoat and I'll request the poll edited.
    Re-runs of Andromeda, you know it'll be on for ever on one channel or another :(

Threade of olde, arise from thy grave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

Only got the chance to watch it a few minutes ago, thought it was a great opening to the season with a very good ending and teaser for episode two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Steven

Mortals rejoice. I have returned once more to this forum to take part in ridiculous speculation and to insult Andromeda, even if I am doing it about 5 months behind almost everyone else on the forum.

Oh Gaius, how you entertain me so with you selfish outlook and your panicy, awkward ways. Thankfully for him, he probably won't have to raise the child himself. I doubt the other cylons would approve of him as a father figure. Hmm, that's assuming they know about it :/

It'll be interesting to see exactly what the caprica Boomer is up to. It's pretty safe to assume that Starbuck makes it back to the fleet eventually, but that doesn't necessarily mean that she has to cross paths with Boomer to do it.

I'm convinced that the virus got on board and will probably be wreaking havoc while the boarding party is sitting down for tea with the crew*, so EP2 is probably going to be a bit hectic.

I say bring it on! It's already 5 months late.

*hitting them with lots of small pointy metal things

Advertisement