Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone sending texts automatically?

• 15-07-2005 6:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone's ever heard of this problem?
    Someone I know got a Nokia 6020 a few weeks ago and yesterday it suddenly sent over 40 texts to a number not in the phonebook. They know it did as they got delivery reports for all of them, and the person rang them up to complain. They are all blank texts, sent over the last 24 hours and they've no idea who this guy is who they're sending the texts to. Ie his number has never been in the phonebook.
    Vodafone say it's a fault with the phone. Sounds weird anyway!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

virus perhaps?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

that happened to my mate a while ago
    the same text got sent to me over 50 times, he couldnt stop it, it was weird

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

Are you using bluetooth by any chance.. Received a programme via bluetooth last week in Blanch SC..Some sap walking aroung the place with nothing better to do..anyway just deleted it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

ha, i'm glad my new phone isn't bluetooth, i don't need it, and don't want it now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭mobileplaza

iv seen this happen quite a bit. i work for a mobile company which will remain nameless. but a sim update solves the problem. seems to be a virus recieved by text or via bluetooth . strange one :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

But the 6020 bluetoothless and isnt a smart phone and im 99% sure non smart phones cant recieve viruses. plus if it was a problem with the fone how would a sim card update fix it. sounds like a network problem to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Yeah the 6020 isn't a smart phone, nor does it have bluetooth and I thought there was no such thing as a non-smart phone based virus.
    The phone's going off for repair so we'll see if that fixes it.
    Another annoying thing is they're getting charged for all the texts!! About a fiver so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Well ring the network(bet ya its voda) up and tell them its their fault. Ive never heard of this problem, so its either a sim card problem or a network problem, either way that network is responsible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,940 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Alvis

beller b wrote:
    Are you using bluetooth by any chance.. Received a programme via bluetooth last week in Blanch SC..Some sap walking aroung the place with nothing better to do..anyway just deleted it!!

Sorry to go a bit off topic but that happened to me too! (except I didn't accept)
    I was in PC World a few days ago at Liffey Valley with Bluetooth turned on cause I was uploading some crap into a mac mini there and suddenly my phone prompted me to accept data from some guy that named his phone "virus fone". I found it fascinating how I got this because the store was relatively empty and the range is only about 10m

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

if Bluetooth is required to be on all the time, why not switch off the discoverable / visible feature (only switching it back on when required).

you will still be able to interact with your paired / authorised Bluetooth devices but won't be picked up in normal ad-hoc searches like those described above...

Advertisement