Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My looooonnnnnnnnggggg journey to Smart!

• 15-07-2005 7:49pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I hope to be a Smart customer eventually so I just thought that I would keep people informed of the journey as it happens. I am on the Crown Alley exchange which is live.

I am a utv customer for bb and line rental but as moving to Smart will save me 35 euros a month its a must.

I have given UTV a month's notice for the bb/line rental - intially they said I was committed to a 12 month contract for the line rental but as they had (unfortunately as it turns out now) jumped the gun and transferred me for lr before I had actually signed the transfer form I was able to get rid of the 12 month thing. UTV tell me I will be 'free' on 22nd July.

So I sent off my forms to Smart including the information that I am with UTV for line rental and that I will be free on 22nd. Next I get a call from Smart sayting that Eircom had stated I had an invalid account and this was a problem. So eventually the Smart rep twigs I am with UTV for lr (in spite of me telling them this) and this is causing the problem. So he tells me I have to sign back with Eircom and that as soon as I get an account number from Eircom that Smart will be able to start processing me however he warns me that Eircom are very reluctant to give out account numbers in fact it may take a couple of weeks to get the account number - so to keep the pressure on them.

So I ring Eircom and eventually find out that I have to get a 'universal account number' from UTV before they can do anything for me. So I get the UAC from UTV - get back on to Eircom - who inform me that that I have state formally that I wish to return to them etc etc etc and the call is recorded etc etc. Then they tell me this may take anything up to two weeks. So I ask if after the 22nd July I will have a phone line at all and am given a freephone number to ring on that date (presumably from a mobile or a Smart payphone somewhere in town!) and they will sort out any problems.

I am exhausted and I am sure the problems have barely started!!!

I will post all future developments (if any!) most likely from an Internet Cafe:)

Has anyone else who did not have their line rental with Eircom actually made their way to Smart through all of this crap?

Anyone recommend any good yoga/relaxation/stress reducing books tapes etc?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

Surley it is time the competition authority got involved here.Basically Eircom are hampering the customers right to deal with which ever company they choose. This was sorted long ago with o2 vodafone & meteor who no have no problm porting a number within an hour.. Ps Eircom want to buy meteor ,,God help us if that goes ahead!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

Any chance you'd still be able to drop by the UTV user group and launch the odd attack at the management?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Arabel wrote:
    Any chance you'd still be able to drop by the UTV user group and launch the odd attack at the management?

Does that mean you will miss me? :)

I will probably be on UTV dial up for (quite) a while so I am sure there will be scope for that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

dub45 wrote:
    Does that mean you will miss me? :)

Well someones got to piss off high command, if they're even aware that there is a news group that is. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭WillieFlynn

beller b wrote:
    Surley it is time the competition authority got involved here.Basically Eircom are hampering the customers right to deal with which ever company they choose. This was sorted long ago with o2 vodafone & meteor who no have no problm porting a number within an hour.. Ps Eircom want to buy meteor ,,God help us if that goes ahead!!!!!!!!!!!
    I wrote to the competition authority about Eircom blocking people moving to Smart..........

That it falls outside of their remit and if I wanted I could still take a private case against Eircom!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

typical...Is anyone going to put them in thier place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭chorus techy

beller b wrote:
    typical...Is anyone going to put them in thier place?

Perhaps when people actually start moving to competitors like BT, Smart, UTV, NTL then €ircon will realise their stupidity. I doubt anyone can actually put them in their place, but we can just vote with our feet.

I eagerly await the day €ircon loses lots of customers to UPC (when they come in), Smart and other LLU operators. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

UPC or whatever they are called operate under chello in other parts of Europe.

Take a look at what they offer:
    www.chello.com

Advertisement