Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This looks interesting

Options
  • 15-07-2005 8:56pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Rumour of course, but certainly the most common sense tactic for getting users online. Assuming it's competitvely priced I know I'd be getting one:
    Unconfirmed reports this week indicate that Nintendo is planning to launch a branded WiFi adapter which users without existing wireless network gear can plug into their PCs to let them go online with the Nintendo DS - and Revolution.

http://eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=60065

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭mp3guy

thats cool, but whats to stop your next door neighbour using your net for free then? MAC addressing? then how do you invite friends round.... WEP encryption? imagine typing that code out on a DS. I'm sure they'll think of something *pats wireless router*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Probably a proprietory protocol.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

mp3guy wrote:
    thats cool, but whats to stop your next door neighbour using your net for free then? MAC addressing? then how do you invite friends round.... WEP encryption? imagine typing that code out on a DS. I'm sure they'll think of something *pats wireless router*

unless they give it a very small range, but of course that would impede the whole benefit of wireless gaming

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

just thinking about this more, if nintendo release a product that basically goes pc -> usb -> wifi -> ds, would it be possible for the product to be used (or hacked/cracked so you could use it) as a usb connection for the DS? So say if you had the play yan device, you could transfer files from PC over the connection? I'd imagine it would be a software issue too, though.
    It's worth a thought though, as nintendo could release it as a USB connection to compete with the PSP and it's built-in link up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Sounds good to me. i will pick one up. I don't have a wifi router, I got eircom broadband before christmas so I got a standard one, and I really want wireless! I have a laptop and wires are a pain.

• Advertisement
Advertisement