Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb 3mb or BT Business 1mb?

• 15-07-2005 10:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭

Yo,

I am looking for an uncapped service and at the moment it seems to be between the Digiweb 3mb offer for roughly €95 per month inc vat or the BT Business 1mb offer for roughly €54 per month. Does anyone have any comments or experiences on the services? It would be of great help to me before i actually make a decision myself. The drawbacks of the BT offer is that there is a 12month contract, and its BT..... The Digiweb offer doesnt seem to have any drawbacks, other than the price. Has anyone on the BT or Digiweb service had any issues regarding download amounts per month? Even though they are non cap services....

Thanks for your input!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

If you have the extra €40 a month and can actually make use of the 3MB(lots of large file downloads) then go ahead and get it.

How much do you intend to download in a month anyway....100GB/200GB???

===================================
    Forgot to mention...All Digiweb DSL comes from eircom exchanges while BT Business comes from BT LLU exchanges!
    If your not near one of the 40 BT LLU exchanges then you'll have to go for the Digiweb offer.

===================================
    Just rechecked and look what I found for Digiweb 3Mbit:
    Traffic Allowance 60 GB!!!
    I saw that when I entered my number and clicked on the 3Mbit factfile!!!

3mbitdigiwebcapof60gbamonth7fy.th.jpg3mbitdigiwebwithnocapamonth4xw.th.jpg

Well Digiweb 1/2/3/4Mbit DSL is all capped it seems!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭gsand

well do a search for digiweb and ull find they pretty much suck and theres not much point of going for the 3meg when theres a cap on it...bt is probably a more solid product...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Are you honestly going to believe the word of a faceless sales rep just trying to sell a product?

Why have they made such a glaring mistake in regards to the CAP?

Demand a signed contract as this company appears very amateurish otherwise to include the 2 above popups in regards to product facts.
    I could tell you I'm a multi-millionaire...though without proof would you believe me??

Signed contract stating unlimited downloads to cover yourself!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭ken90

Smart Business have a 4GB/512mb up product for 140 inc line rental
    No cap, 12 month contract.

I'm looking at it myself.

Its not on their website but call 1890 945945

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

ken90 wrote:
    No cap, 12 month contract.

I'm looking at it myself.

Its not on their website but call 1890 945945

While its a great value product (alone with its 6 static IP's) you have to remember at present BT Business DSL is available on more exchanges then Smart *currently* is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

I'll definately get something signed off of them regarding the CAP. But even on the website it says that there are no caps on the 3 and 4mbit products on the main page. Reaching 100gb a month will not be a problem..

Well was just talking to someone from Digiweb there, although there IS a cap of 60gb on the 3mbit offer, you dont get charged if you go over the cap. You get put on a restricted line if you go over the cap continuously..

I saw something being posted that if you pay €3 extra per month you get 16gb extra, is that true?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

ken90 wrote:

Surely you mean 4Mb/512kb???

I'm sure he does, and then there's the difference between b an B that people always say too. I've even seen some isp advertising saving that they offer 1MB download for 30 off euro. I wish.

I was talking to someone from BT Business support, (who actually sounded like he knew what he was talking about), and he informed that they can enable the Business package for my residential account. If I am not on one of the BT exchanges, BT would use the eircom exchange and i would have to use eircom speed, but would be using a BT account. i.e, BT exchange would have 1mbit/256k connection whilst eircom would be 2mbit/128k.

Any comments or experiences on this?

p.s He is checking the minimum contract term and will get back to me...
    The price for this package is ~ €54 per month inc. vat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭ButtermilkJack

I would give you some good advice if you offered a viable alternative to BT's €54 p/month, but instead I will give you some great advice.

Get yourself checked out by a psychiatric nurse before paying €95 ( :eek: ) for broadband.

(Sorry to be so sarcastic but seriously, €95!!)

I would give you some good advice if you offered a viable alternative to BT's €54 p/month, but instead I will give you some great advice.

Get yourself checked out by a psychiatric nurse before paying €95 ( :eek: ) for broadband.

(Sorry to be so sarcastic but seriously, €95!!)

I've already ditched that one...and , if you know HOW to use the internet you'd be saving more money in the end anyway..no further comments on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

as a user of digiwebs 3mb line i can testify to its worth

its even better if you are sharing the cost, there are 3 of us, so it works out at 36 per month each (108 including vat)

for downloading its great, very very fast. the CAP is bull, so is the restriction list.
    we easily break that cap every month.

however since they upgraded to 3mb from 1mb the line has gotten less reliable, we have dropped service 3 times on saturday, digiweb says its line problems blah blah blah.

if you want to play games dont expect a great ping, i usually get 70-110 in Source, my brother uses utvip and gets 40-50 pings.

if you can afford it, its worth it for the downloads and reasonable enough to play games on.

I've already ditched that one...and , if you know HOW to use the internet you'd be saving more money in the end anyway..no further comments on that.

OK, I hold my hands up, I apologise for being such a harsh critic. :o

But going back to what you said above, How do you use the internet? I mean, you mention saving money in the long run. How can you save money on something that's not a neccessity, or is it? Do you really need uncapped 3mb? I run a web design business and ran a mile when BT quoted me for their business package. I took their new home offer instead. As far as I'm concerned, 2mb is good broadband, but no way I was going to pay double for the same thing re-labelled. I appreciate I don't know anything about you or your needs, but like I said, is 3mb uncapped an absolute neccessity?

Sorry to be so negative. It just sounds to me like 95euro is excessive. I really hate when companies try to rip people off that's all.

Hi Buttermilk,

As regards using the internet, i'm referring to overpriced software that is available for "trial" on the internet, if needed... I'm sure you are aware of the prices that exist in the Irish market.. As regards the CAP on the 3mbit service, how much do you actually exceed this from Digiweb? Any letter in the post or anything like that yet?

Thanks!

...As regards the CAP on the 3mbit service, how much do you actually exceed this from Digiweb? Any letter in the post or anything like that yet?
    I actually went for BT BB Plus (2mb - residential package) but I haven't received my modem yet. However I can't see myself going over their limit.

Well, it seems that the BT Business package is the only option for me... as the Digiweb offer just seems too expensive for a 60GB cap, even though previous users have unlimited usage...

Still waiting for Eircon to finally enable my line so i can get it dsl tested. Is this a painful procedure or does it take long to test it?

Advertisement