Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[article] As pretty as a Picture...Fidel Castro

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I never said you agreed with them, I said you were an apologist for them.

Which equates to the same thing. So kindly stop trying to claim I am saying one thing when I am not. Next you will be saying the Gardai are apoligists for criminals (using your flawed logic).
    Like Pinochet was? Or Ferdinand Marcos? I think you’ll find that a lot of dictators have (had) popular support.

I don't understand your point here? All you are doing is agreeing with me.
    Actually you are defending his actions. Indeed you shy away from discussing his actions and simply justify - sorry, explain - them by pointing out how it is understandable how he came to power.

What is there to discuss? In my personal opinion Castro should be removed (through a system that doesn't make it worse then it already is). Others are saying "Castro = Evil" I am saying "Yes Castro is Evil, but doesn't equate to Castro did it all himself". Evil men don't magically get into power.

Somehow trying to equate that to that I am saying that I think Castro should stay in power is insulting.
    Just like the Iraqi’s kicked Saddam out of power. Or the North Koreans have kicked Kim Jong-il out. Or not.

Iraqis didn't kick Saddam out of power, The Americans did. Saddam ran. He also had a power base in Iraq that kept him in power similar to Castro.

As for Kim Jong-il, NK is totally disconnected from the West and has a skewed view of the rest of the world. A lot of NK actually believe the tripe KJI feeds them because they have been raised on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Hobbes wrote:
    Which equates to the same thing. So kindly stop trying to claim I am saying one thing when I am not. Next you will be saying the Gardai are apoligists for criminals (using your flawed logic).
    It does not equate to the same thing unless you are intentionally attempting to twist said logic. One may excuse the actions of another citing extraneous circumstance without necessarily agreeing with those actions. One may even excuse those actions, without necessarily agreeing with them, on the basis that the alternative would have been worse. That’s what an apologist does.

As for your Gardai example - what on Earth are you on about?
    I don't understand your point here? All you are doing is agreeing with me.
    I’d only be agreeing with you if you judged all dictators by the same standards. Feel free to show me where you’ve been equally explanatory for Pinochet, Marcos or any other pro-US dictator and then you might appear consistent.
    What is there to discuss? In my personal opinion Castro should be removed (through a system that doesn't make it worse then it already is). Others are saying "Castro = Evil" I am saying "Yes Castro is Evil, but doesn't equate to Castro did it all himself". Evil men don't magically get into power.
    Again, feel free to show me where you’ve been equally explanatory for Pinochet, Marcos or any other pro-US dictator and then you might appear consistent.
    Somehow trying to equate that to that I am saying that I think Castro should stay in power is insulting.
    From what I can see, up to your last post you never suggested that he should be removed, only that the situation in Cuba was not his fault and that the previous regime was worse.

So what does that sound like to you? A man campaigning for Castro’s removal or an apologist for him?
    Iraqis didn't kick Saddam out of power, The Americans did. Saddam ran. He also had a power base in Iraq that kept him in power similar to Castro.

As for Kim Jong-il, NK is totally disconnected from the West and has a skewed view of the rest of the world. A lot of NK actually believe the tripe KJI feeds them because they have been raised on it.
    Do either of those points make your assertion that “if Cubans hated Castro so much he would of been out of power long before now” any less wrong then?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

From what I can see, up to your last post you never suggested that he should be removed, only that the situation in Cuba was not his fault and that the previous regime was worse.

So what does that sound like to you? A man campaigning for Castro’s removal or an apologist for him?

Castro is no angel, but the situation in Cuba is not of his doing.

So as I said, Castro is no angel but his push into power and the state of Cuba today has less to do with him and more to do with the US.

Where did I say romantic struggle? He came to power because the US helped keep a dictator in power which was as bad as Castro.

Sorry I missed the bit where I said Castro was great. Prehaps you can point it out.

There are numerous points in history where Castro could of been removed through showing how bad he was or support, as opposed to making the situation worse.

I don't recall any comparisons to pinochet in this thread except by you either. Only other leader mentioned here who I think is not a dictator is Chavez.

Advertisement