Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

internet blocker?

• 15-07-2005 11:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a program to block (or maybe password restrict) net access in Windows XP. I've got a dual boot system (windows / linux) and want to force my flatmates into using Linux for net access as I'm sick and tired of cleaning up spy/ad/malware. There's certin things you need windows for, but random web surfing isn't one of them tbh.

Anyone any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I'm sure there are better options but if your users aren't too tech-savvy, why not just disable the modem in Device Manager? Or drop the max port speed in the modem properties in windows to 300bps - very slooooooooooow net access will have them booting up Linux in no time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

McAfee security suite requires a log in before granting any internet access

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Don't have McAfee.

I'll try sceptre's approach. See how long it takes them to figure it out.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

you could setup a dummy proxy server address in internet explorer connections
    so they would have to use FireFox as part of the weaning process
    or dummy TCP/IP addresses in the dial up connection properties.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,578 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

lets just hope they dont read this post!

• Advertisement
Advertisement