Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Books from your childhood

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Ah yes, I'd say Enid Blyton was the name on nearly every book I got as a kid, from Mr Twiddle to Secret Seven to Famous Five, and even the "Adventure" series of books.

I was into The Hardy Boys too, never realised they were from a syndicate writer. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

Apologies for bringing up an old thread, but I felt I had to add to this. I loved books as I child - from the age of 6-12 I practically lived in the library! Favourite would have to be Roald Dahl, the man was a genius at evoking at atmosphere in his books, and has a similar style in a way I think to J.K Rowling. My favourite would be his autobiographical book Going Solo - I really want to see Tanzania after reading it!

Read all the Enid Blyton books as well, Famous Five, Secret Seven (though the famous five were way cooler!), Five find-outers and dog, the adventerous four - (myself and my friends in the area used to always make up groups, and give ourselves names and go off looking for crimes to solve, just like them)! Also read her Mallory towers series, the faraway tree series (magical!). As well as that the wishing chair series (just googled it and got a suprise when i saw the picture of the book on this page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wishing-Chair_series I had the exact same version, hard cover in grey!) I read so many of her books that I started speaking like the characters in the books (1950's British), my mum nearly had a heart attack one day when I asked her if she'd ever "played traunt"!

As well as Enid Blyton there were loads more - loved Margrit Cruishanks "SKUNK" series. Also read every single one of the "Just William" series (Thank you Pembroke library :) ) Loved the Brer Rabbit books too, as well as the set of fox books (Run Swift Run Free ect). I remember reading another series about a group of animals in a wood who all made friends and helped each other out - the animals of Farthing wood! Read the Hardy boys as well. Also the red and blue fairy books, that someone's already mentioned on this thread. Read a few classics too, Robinson Crusoe, Gullivers Travels, treasure island and Oliver Twist. And who could forget Asterix the Gaul! Also liked Tintin books, but Asterix was cooler :) Ah I loved books as a kid, I've started heading to libraries a lot again recently to read more - they're a fantastic resource for us really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

ionapaul wrote:
    Haven't seen anyone mention The Neverending Story yet! I also was an avid reader and devoured dozens of Hardy Boys books, Roald Dahl (met him in Kennys Bookshop in Galway at a book signing!), all the Narnias, Tolkien, dozens of Dragonlance books (remember Raistlin...the ultimate evil mage!)...so many happy memories

Wow, you lucky!

Pretty similar list to everyone else:

Every single Enid Blyton series I think: Famous Five, Secret Seven, the Five Find-Outers series, the Faraway Tree books (now they were amazing!) ...all except Mallory Towers, never really got into those which is strange because St. Clare's were among my favourite books in the world.

Roald Dahl - all of them, he's amazing

Judy Blume - loved loved loved her

The Babysitters Club

Marita Conlon-McKenna (Under the Hawthorn Tree trilogy)

Siobhán Parkinson

Tom McCaughren - the fox ones were good, but, God, I loved The Legend of the Phantom Highwayman/ The Legend of the Golden Key / The Legend of the Corrib King

The Rosie series by Anne Carroll (about a time travelling girl in Dublin - they were great)

Point Horror books

Sweet Valley Kids/High :o

I also used to love the Trebizon series of books by (had to look it up) Anne Digby. Anyone else read these?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

I was a huge fan of 'The Cherrys' series of books, via my local library. Enid Blyton was everywhere, but the Cherrys had more of a cult following, maybe because the main child character Roy was a bit geeky (glasses etc). I remember trying for years to get the one remaining book of the 14 in the series that I had not yet read - not sure if it ever arrived.

I found this good summary of the Cherries series and this family picture. Any other Cherrys fans out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

Which Blyton series had the family on the farm? The one detail I can remember is that one of the kids had a pet squirel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Hrududu wrote: »
    Which Blyton series had the family on the farm? The one detail I can remember is that one of the kids had a pet squirel.
    Could be one of a couple of series:

The Children of Cherry Tree Farm, which was followed by The Children of Willow Farm

or

Six Cousins at Mistletoe Farm, followed by Six Cousins Again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

Ah I remember those farms books, had forgotten about them until now! I remember my shock at the fact that the kids had to get up at 5am to milk cows and stuff :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭Closed ac

Roald Dahl books, the ones I remember most though would be Fantastic Mr. Fox, Charlie and The Enormous Crocodile. :D

Advertisement