Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Endorsements

Options
  • 16-07-2005 1:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Anyone know anything about endorsements on driving licenses?How long do they last?Do they have a start and end date on them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

points on a licence lasts 3 years. and the government send you a date of starting the points

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

He didn't ask about points, he asked about endorsements.

Zetec, aren't endorsements deprecated by the points system, or do they use them for another purpose?

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

endorsements are applied by order of court and last as long as the judge determines. Typically three years - though the motor tax bods cann't tell you - you'd have to apply to the courts to find out.

If you've been banned and endorsed, the endorsement only kicks in after the ban, and only functions on an indate licence - you cann't simply sit out and endorsement with no drivers licence - for example if you'd been caught joy riding and never held a licence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Zetec

Long story short i got caught driving a van at work that was not insured I got disqualified for two years in 2003. Now i have my license back on the section for endorsements there is a stamp with the date i was banned on and the date i got my license back.Is this an endorsement?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Yes it is. It serves as a warning to insurance companies that you were banned. It will take 3 years to remove this from your licence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Zetec

****.Ok thanks for the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

Zetec wrote:
    Long story short i got caught driving a van at work that was not insured I got disqualified for two years...
    Ouch, normally it's a 1 year ban for no insurance.
    Do we find out why the judge gave 2 years when we hear the whole story ;)

causal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

i thought he was asking about penalty points,anyway now i know what he was asking about and i learnt some info from this thread,thanks guys:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭damo

i was given an endorsement by a judge for a careless driving charge - i wasnt (by the skin if my teeth) banned and i got a hefty fine and the guards told me 5 points...so anyway i sent off my licence to get it endorsed and it was sent back with no endorsement, i rang em up to find out what the story was and they said the rules had changed and i was only getting 4 penno points and no endorsement, anyone else ever hear of this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 wesoneill

An endorsement only serves as a further slap in the face if you've been convicted of a motoring offence. When you produce your license to your insurance company (granted you intend on telling them) it legally allows them to load your premium increasing the initial fine in a round about way. The fine may have been affordable but the premiums may not be! The endosrment to my knowledge serves no other purpose.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

It also serves as a warning to any Gardai that stop you to give you a through going over.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Bond-007 wrote:
    It also serves as a warning to any Gardai that stop you to give you a through going over.

Also a warning for anyone you apply for a driving job with...

Advertisement