Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SG:1 - 9x01 - Avalon (Part 1) [SPOILERS]

• 16-07-2005 11:12am
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Post your opinions on the season 9 opener here, as will I once my cousins get the package delivered.

What did you think of Stargate:SG-1 - 9x01 - Avalon (Part 1)? 29 votes

Incredddiibblle
    0%
    Sehr gut.
    17%
    Ping Chow ChiIvanJimboo_Jonesangry_foxsmeggle 5 votes
    Ca va.
    55%
    suttym1keNeoSlicerZPepe LeFritsStarkScruffteck-x5JohnKixoyLantismadrabOmegaRedmobLamiais_that_soTurdle 16 votes
    Oh this isn't a promising sign at all...
    10%
    D-Generatematrimstackeye 3 votes
    Why wasn't this show cancelled?
    17%
    Wintersvibe666mr_angryajmurphy62senordingdong 5 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Ca va.
    Thought this was a good intro for the new characters. Not the most action packed episode (well, except for the flashbacks) but overall it was good. So far I like the new characters and I hope they continue this way. I still cant get over how much Ben Browder looks like Michael Shanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Not the best SG-1 but not the worst. Kinda felt like Bower was trying way to hard and the lack of Jack really sucks :( The chemistry between Daniel and Black is pretty cool tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

JohnK wrote:
    I still cant get over how much Ben Browder looks like Michael Shanks.
    Apparently that's the reason for the new beard, to make it easier to tell them appart.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Ca va.
    Very much an intro episode but enjoyable for that. I'm a fan of Browder from 'Farscape' and he works well here, altho' a couple of times it felt he was too Jack-like (e.g. his "whoa!" when Teal'c fired the bullets. Loved Teal'c's smile afterwards though!). Pretty decent slots into "The Lost City" too.

Thught Landry was pretty decent. Reminds me of a bit of a mix of current Maybourne and Hammond.

Thought Claudia Black stole all the scenes she was in - great fun. Loved her line about being pregnant, saying that it could be Daniels, and then giving a look at Mitchell - heh, in-jokes rule :D That and her comment to Daniel and Mitchell about limited gene pools.

Wonder how long it's been since "Moebius"? Not made clear but a lot's happened since then - the Daedalus, the team being re-assigned to new posts (which actually fitted their causes and gave a good excuse for Carter not to have to appear), etc.

I know roughly what's coming next, but still interesting to see how this dynamic gets on. Not the most amazing debut, but pretty damn solid and a good sign given its still interesting me going into year nine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

Ca va.
    this actually put my fate back into sg1 so hopefully they can keep up strong episodes throughout the season

thought the writing was alot better than what it had been and it was great top see farscapes finest work their magic

i dont really agree with venom and ixoy about browder being too like jack, but he is pretty much the same as he was in farscape (which aint a bad thing)

hopefully this will continue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

I was a bit disappointed at the slow pace to be honest. When it ended, I found myself saying "That was 43 minutes? What exactly happened?" - maybe it was a necessary evil in terms of introducing people, but I wasn't particularly keen on it. I didn't like the whole Avalon legend either. IIRC, the Ancients used the machine on Takara to re-introduce life to the galaxy after the plague had wiped it all out. I'd imagine that was a couple of billion years ago, right? Why then was 'Merlin' still around for an 8th century legend? That didn't sit right with me at all.

The actors were good enough though - who couldn't like Claudia Black? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Ca va.
    IMHO big improvement on season 8 already. I thought it hit the ground running and dealt with the new people well. Looks like they are making an effort with this season. I like Beau Bridges. Plays that kind of part well. Good to see all the personnel changes, even if some of the old crew have gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I'm not liking it much at all.
    I don't think it's very good but I do feel it will improve over a few episdoes.

I like the Mitchel charcter so far but I don't like how he has become the main man of the show.
    I hate Claudia Black and I think her charcters attitude (not presence or acting) is bringing down the standard the yare trying ot regain.

I liked the whole Merlin and knights of the round table thing.
    In summary, first half was diabolical but the second half was good so it made a balance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

Just back from the US and saw SG-1 SG-A and BSG the new eps and they all look good music-smiley-005.gif

Thought the new cast members in SG-1 looked good but as said Ben looks like he is trying a little too hard but bet he will gel nicely as the season goes on.
    SG-A = excellent - if you havent seen it i wont spoil it,fast and furious and looks like another good season.

BSG.........will post elsewhere :p

Nukem

EDIT:there was a few good intro shows - behind the scenes and all that on sci-fi the day before which i hope they show here too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭ajmurphy62

i wasnt too impressed with it at first, bit slow moving and nothing much happened but that was to be expected introducing 2 new characters. I cant wait until they delve further into Authrian legend.

I absolutly love love love Vala. She is so funny.

"This is as disappointing as the time me and Daniel had sex"

lol brilliant line and very well delivered, I cant wait to see more of her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

uh should have been cancelled, it just wasn't sg1 imo. It was nearly like its a spin off from sga now. Down to the colour of the worm holes....

Only good thing was daniel/yer one the hottie character interaction....but i'm guessing she's only a guest so the season is screwed...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Ca va.
    Haven't been a fan of Stargate, just tuned in for the Farscape characters.

This episode wasn't bad at all. Like previous posters said, the chemistry between Jackson and Vala was good, it's a pity Vala's only in it for 6 episodes. Ben Browder seems calmer in his role as Cameron Mitchell than he was as John Crichton, which isn't a bad thing. While I loved insane Crichton, it got a bit tiring after 4 seasons, and it's good to see Browder playing a more balanced character. There was a "Crichton" moment at the end though with his reaction to Tealc trying to shoot down the doorway.

Having Claudia Black there to support Ben Browder seems to be helping the gelling process a bit. She provides a good link between Browder and Shanks. I also liked the "genepool" joke when she's in the same room as the two of them :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

had a titter myself at the genepool joke

kinda kept expecting d'argo (if he wasn't dead ;)) to pop in for a cuppa. was it SG1 or Farscape?

gonna watch SGA and BSG tonight, but also been watching lots of other enw shows sent over by one of my ;) US cousins.

medium, global frequency, nightstalkers, the inside and a few others i don't remember off the top of my head. most pretty promising too, but not all sci fi. might start a thread on new shows to look out for.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Ca va.
    Oh, forgot to mention that a big "boo!" to the new 10-second credits. Mallozzi is right to be furious over them. Tight-arsed sci-fi...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

ixoy wrote:
    Oh, forgot to mention that a big "boo!" to the new 10-second credits. Mallozzi is right to be furious over them. Tight-arsed sci-fi...

The 10 second credits are way cool imho. Who needs to see the same old bit every week :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Sehr gut.
    I always thought his name was ben browler :o
    Anyway, I thought he was absolutely fantastic in the show. If I had to pick someone to replace RDA I'd would definitely be him.

As for the "Woah", when Tealc shot the door, definitely a Farscape moment, imho.
    Claudia Black was great, but how are things going to go, if/when Carter comes back?

[edit]
    Ah, only 6 episodes :(
    [/edit]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

ioxy wrote:
    I only know this because I saw it on another forum and had to look here. God they're awful! And could they have made the two series opening sequences any more alike?

Anyway, I'm off again :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Great opening to the season. I think Browder tried to hard to be like RDA (particularly some of the mannerisms and quips in the last 15 minutes).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭smeggle

Sehr gut.
    mr_angry wrote:
    Why then was 'Merlin' still around for an 8th century legend? That didn't sit right with me at all.
    ;)

Due to the comment that Danial made of him only being 'Partially Ascended'.

Remember Anubis got kicked back after Omar inadvertantly helped him yto ascend. However they were unable to send him all the way back so he became an entity between both the ascended plain and the physical plain.

I'd say that was pretty much the case hear or as in the Stargate Atlantis episode, where one of the Ancients (forget her name) was restricted to protecting a planet from the wraith. Although ascended, she took on physical form so as to interact with the people of the planet. Probably the same by choice in Merlins case.

(I have them all btw ;) )

ixoy wrote:

I could have sworn that I read on Gateworld that those new 10 second creidts were only for the pilots and that they'd be nback to 'normal' next week etc...

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Ca va.
    I really enjoyed this episode. It was slow paced out of necessity as there was a lot of exposition to be done, but I thought it was handled really well. The sudden wholesale changes with only one line explanations did irk me a little though, and the guy who plays Walter was hamming it up waaaaaay too much at the beginning.

Browder & Black were fantastic. The genepool gag was great, as was Vala's line in the gateroom about not having met Mitchell before. She brings out the best in Daniel.

"Tell me something about yourself. Something... personal."

"People call me Dave."

ahahahaha.

kaids wrote:
    and the guy who plays Walter was hamming it up waaaaaay too much at the beginning.

God, I couldn't agree with you more....that annoyed me so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Thought it was a great opener...

Particularly liked the Antarctica battle... a definite homage to the battle of Hoth :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Ca va.
    sehr gut. Good to see vala back, she comes out with good one liners and putdowns. didnt know Richard Dean A was leaving the acting side of the series so that came as a bit of a surprise. Though i watched SG:A before it and was wondering who the General in the SGC was. also thought the 10 sec intro was due to my cousin's editing so 2 episodes would fit on a cd :p

Advertisement