Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SG:A - 2x01 - The Seige (Part 3) [SPOILERS]

• 16-07-2005 11:15am
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Post your opinions on the season opener of Stargate: Atlantis here. I shalt do so when I actually see it.

What did you think of Stargate: Atlantis - 2x01 - The Seige (Part 3)? 30 votes

I felt like I had Ascended
    0%
    It was like having my own Goa'uld Death Glider for a bit
    30%
    KevokJohnKmr_angryUser45701senordingdongstackeyeKevoInfinistag39 9 votes
    Like exploring a world with a MALP - comon but interesting
    53%
    VenomsuttyD-GenerateIvanPepe LeFritsScruffMr Eteck-x5jor elbizmarkmatrimixoyOmegaRedkdouglasis_that_soDe Deraco 16 votes
    Bit like being stuck in a NID conspiracy - kinda tiresome
    10%
    echomadmancregsersmeggle 3 votes
    As if "Window of Opportunity" made me loop the events of "Emancipation"
    6%
    madrabGone West 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

I loved it. Interesting to see how Ford has turned and the battle scenes were great :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Damm cool episode overall but the solution at the end was a tad hokey. Never really liked Ford but I do like what they have done with him. Rodney was cool as hell like always :)

Overall a damm good start to series 2. Roll on next friday :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

And it's 3 for 3 on all season premieres being good :) Thought the SFX and battle/action scenes were top-notch here and some of the best work ever in the Stargate franchise.

Nice to see Carson get his full screen credit although I'm not gone on the new mini-credits.

SuperForde is interesting because Forde never really gelled - as was readily admitted by the producers. This, when he shows up next, might make something else cool about him beyond his first name.

Teyla's trick was ok but I don't feel we saw any of the dangers that we did last time. I don't want it to become a deus ex machina.

The trick with the city? That's where I docked this episode a mark. Seemed entirely too easy - are we supposed to believe the Wraith would think that NOTHING, not a single atom, would have remained from the nuke? Surely they'd want to scavage for the gate? Isn't it capable of surviving a nuclear blast anyway?

Still a perfectly healthy start. Be interesting to see what comes next and what plot arcs we'll see this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Wow, I was totally blown away by this episode. I was expecting a "Dedalus saves the day" kind of storyline where the Wraith just went off with their tails between their legs, but it turned out quite different. The 'evil Ford' thread was something I wasn't expecting at all, and definitely an interesting take on a character that wasn't really going anywhere otherwise.

The action was fantastic in this one - the Dedalus, the hive ships, the multiple transported nukes, the shield being bombarded, and finally the mega-nuke at the end. Spectacular. Brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

I have to say I really liked this ep. I loved the design of the new Dedalus ship. I had been looking for a image of it when the 8th season ended. But never found one. Have to say I was nicely impressed by it. (getting away from the asgard style ship design)

The over all use of nukes and the transporters was great. I found the way they tricked the hive ships to be a bit lacking in the end.

Still though, a top action intro to the new season.. roll on ep 2 :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Someone’s had there special effects budget increased :eek:

Very good episode Dedalus looks class bit to heavily modified from the Prometheus to be its brother though must be a new battleship class or something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

The scene where the shield is blocking the wraith fire and sheperd and mckay are standing in the foreground, looking at it. "Its almost pretty, isnt it."

Excellent special effects, and overall scene.

I loved the wraith kamikaze run, on Atlantis, but find it a bit insulting that they didnt turn away when they noticed the shield :|

Hmm, the whole cloak thing was a bit crazy also, why didnt the atlantians think of that one? :o

Superforde, excellent direction to go with the character. Of course, he was a dull, Tealc, with no special skills or attributes to speak of. Naturally this was a great direction to take him.

Although, I gotta ask, who says he's evil?
    If he were turning into a wraith he surely would have killed people without hesitation. Some may say his threatening of the wounded prisoner is a decent sign he's pretty evil, but who knows if he was prepared to kill.

Also, he could have killed sheperd. Finally, why go through the gate, why not return to the wraith if he were one of them.

Now, granted, he could be evil, while not having any love for the wraith, but I dont believe thats the case.

Anyway, an excellent direction to bring the character, and the redeeming moment of the season starter that allows me to give this 4 boards stars :)

A bit more information on SuperForde and the enzyme is now up in the gateworld forums here. Martin Gero, the writer of the episode, decided to clear some things up. That's why I love that site - the writers regularly come down and answer fan questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭smeggle

Bit of a let down and the gate can't be destroyed by a nuke anyway (as commented above), + when they went of and attacked the 12 wraith hive ships in the Dedalus, I would have thought considering that the Asgard technology can beam multiple objects that they would just beam 12 individual nukes at the same time. Seems a bit silly that they can't being so 'Super Advanced' and all that or they could have least have got more than two or three.

Novac is annoying, as is rodney the nerd (lol), Ford? Not sure about him but from some of the spoilers I've read his character could become kinda interesting.

I can't stand who plays weir, she's just to 'wooden' to me but the predecessor didn't quite suit either somehow. Shepard is ok but a bit to much like O'Niel in character.

I dunno - but it was like you just knew they were gonna beat them. I definately think that the Dedalus could have inflicted way more damage to the wraith though, would have made it slightly more believable - they were sort of catching the wraith of guard and I don't reckon they could have adapted against the Asgard beaming technology that quickly.

Still gonna see what happens - still not fully sure on Atlantis my self but it's only been two seasons and I don't think that an established story line will be understood fully untill the third or forth episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Ok, as for the nuke not destroying the gate; it doesnt matter. The wraith dont want the gate, there are **** loads of em. They want the funky crystal in the DHD that will allow them to reach earth. That and to kill all the annoying humans in atlantis. Both of which are made impossible by the nuke.

And lets face it, this is a race that is so used to not having anyone stand up against them. They vastly outnumbered atlantis and you can be sure they expected to win. You'd imagine that would be one of their possible projected scenarios and so it came as no surprise when the humans did blow themselves up.

Well they did say the asgard did not want the beaming technology used as a weapon. Personally I think, mass transporters = a terrifying weapon. Heck the wraith even use it. The ability to beam out or beam in lots of people at once is something that should be avoided, when giving allies technology.

Weir never had a predecessor. At least the actress didnt. I quite like her performances. She plays her role well, as the uniting force of the whole atlantis project.

And I cant be sure, but I thought it was from emitting a scattering beam, that prevented the daedalus from locking on with the asgard transporters, that was the problem.

Remember the ships are combinations of asgard, go'auld and human technology.

Alot of the superior capabilities of the better technology is lost due to its reliance on human technology.

Anyway, as you can probably tell, I quite like atlantis, so far :D

• Advertisement

Ivan wrote:
    Weir never had a predecessor. At least the actress didnt. I quite like her performances. She plays her role well, as the uniting force of the whole atlantis project.
    Uhh what? Yes, she did. Jessica Steen (best known as the lead in "Earth 2"), played Dr. Elizabeth Weir in Stargate: SG-1 7x21/7x22 - "The Lost City".

She was then replaced by the current Torri Higginson for the main show, for reasons I'm not entirely sure of..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

bizmark wrote:
    Someone’s had there special effects budget increased :eek:
    Nah, I'd say they just 'borrowed' money from other episodes...as in, we won't be seeing too much special effects for another few episodes.

Oh, my sweet jesus!

That was absoloutly amazing!
    We all knew it would be beast but it totally surpased my expectations!

Pros)
    The Deadulus was amazing, I was expecting it to be the same as Prometheus.
    Mitch Pillegi was deadly.
    Hermes, Hernia...whatever that new Asgard is called was deadly.
    The attack on the Wraith was deadly....stickin it to 'em!
    McKay was feckin deadly gas!
    The effects were amazing.

Cons)
    Cliff-hangars could have been dealt with better in my opinion and we could have done with less Teyla.
    Also, I didn't like how the Deadulus was so quickly made obsolete.
    And while I thought the whole cloaking the city thing was a good one, I didn't like how they had to be all 'tail between their legs' again, so soon. Not to mention how ridiculous it was that the Wraith just left afterwards.
    I'm between two minds about the Ford issue.
    Ivan wrote:
    I loved the wraith kamikaze run, on Atlantis, but find it a bit insulting that they didnt turn away when they noticed the shield :|
    They were probbly going too fast to just swerve out of harms way.
    Ivan wrote:
    Also, he could have killed sheperd. Finally, why go through the gate, why not return to the wraith if he were one of them.
    I think it'ssafe to assume he is going to the Wraith.
    Ivan wrote:
    They want the funky crystal in the DHD that will allow them to reach earth.
    No..they want Atlantis....it being the inter-galactic spaceship thatcn get to Earth. If they came through the gate I'm sure they'd have a hard time getting through the awl iris.
    ixoy wrote:
    Uhh what? Yes, she did. Jessica Steen
    Wouldn't that make Higginson the predecessor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Wouldn't that make Higginson the predecessor?

Nah it would make her the successor i thought

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Kewl-A-Boola.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭smeggle

ixoy wrote:
    Uhh what? Yes, she did. Jessica Steen (best known as the lead in "Earth 2"), played Dr. Elizabeth Weir in Stargate: SG-1 7x21/7x22 - "The Lost City".

She was then replaced by the current Torri Higginson for the main show, for reasons I'm not entirely sure of..

I should have mentioned that I also have the complete collection of Stargate. SG-1, Atlantis and The Movie and the first of the new seasons and I get part two tomorrow ;)

Not wanting to be a clever git like lol :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

N
    No..they want Atlantis....it being the inter-galactic spaceship thatcn get to Earth. If they came through the gate I'm sure they'd have a hard time getting through the awl iris.
    Well they wouldn't have to go directly to earth, they'd just need to get a foothold somewhere in the Milky Way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

ixoy wrote:
    A bit more information on SuperForde and the enzyme is now up in the gateworld forums here. Martin Gero, the writer of the episode, decided to clear some things up. That's why I love that site - the writers regularly come down and answer fan questions.
    I'm liking that... I was wondering "why would he dump the ship and go to another address... why would he not take the ship with him" without thinking of the ancient gene... thingie...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

good episode. take back what i said in previous posts about Earth ships being crap looking. hard to beleive the wraith didnt come down looking for wreckage they scavanged or that residual radiation 20 seconds after the plast wouldnt have killed em all on Atlantis, but hey, thats sci-fi.

Advertisement