Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two-way traffic on Western Rd/lancaster Quay

• 16-07-2005 12:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭

I was just wondering what people think of this new two-way traffic scheme that has been introduced on Western Rd/Lancaster Quay/Washington Street.

I've only ever seen two cars use it and personally I'd be terrified to use the new lanes in the new fashion in case someone was driving down them the old way. Plus, i also think that it cuts off easy access to a lot of the side streets that helped divert traffic.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I'd be wary of coming into town the new way - on my way out it yesterday a lady dove up the new road to park outside the furniture place. I don't know how she got out again. I think that it's a better idea though - now all the lights are proper filters or full lights - no more guesswork. And there's proper lanes now too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

I haven't used it myself yet and now that you mention it, I haven't seen anyone use it yet. Then again, I haven't been up around there much in the last few months. I do think its a good idea though, as I never liked having to drive down past that blubamboo place if I wanted to get to Grand Parade from Crawford Hall. Used to have to drive down there quite a bit before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I live at the back of Reidy Wine vault and I'm pretty used to driving around all those side streets. I actually can't see any benefit to the new lanes, and I think that's it going to make matters worse rather than better.

The only good things are the new traffic lights at the end of Crawford bridge. At least they regulate the cars coming off the bridge down Wood Street. That used to be somewhat akin to Russian Roulette before. I had a fit of laughter a while back when they tried to stop people using that shortcut. In typical Cork style, nobody took any notice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 703 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

they regulate the cars coming off the bridge down Wood Street
    Yes, that used to be quite scary. People used to race across the three lanes of Washington St, regardless of whether there was any room to accommodate them in Wood St.
    I'm glad to see the end of that flashing orange filter right arrow on the junction of Grattan St (?, the street with the Bailey pub) and Washington St. It was very hard to see if anything was coming down Washington St from the left. The two-way arrangement seems to have made the traffic queues on Sheares St worse though.
    [somewhat off-topic] Why are Yellow cabs allowed to keep their cars constantly parked on double yellow lines blocking one lane on Grattan St (i.e. 50% of the capacity of the main route into the city centre from the west)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭solice

im thinking any benefit to having western road\lancaster quay\washington street is only going to be noticed between now and september. when schools start back the amount of cars that are going to be on those streets will be huge. in october when ucc re-opens it will be ten times as bad. many times i walked up and down lancaster quay and washington st around 5 in the afternoon and the que of cars going from the junction with donovans road was huge. often it would go down as beyond jurys. all these cars were going in one direction so they had the entire width of the road. with a two system im assuming they will have at the most two lanes.

hmmm, i can see that this is going to enrage people sitting in their cars as the rain beats down on them from on high

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,018 ✭✭✭opus

Makes it a bit trickier cycling down there now as well. It was fairly safe before but now you're stuck in between the outgoing and incoming lanes if you want to turn right to any of the lanes going to the Mardyke :(

Advertisement