Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stamp Duty

Options
  • 16-07-2005 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭

Just a quick question about Stamp Duty if anybody can help me.

I know that for a first time buyer you don't have to pay Stamp Duty on property up to €317,500. But If you are a second time buyer do you have to pay Stamp Duty on a property regardless of the value?

Cheers,

B.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Essentially yes, but on an increasing scale.

Exemptions:
    New property less than 125m2 (typical 4-bed estate house)
    Price less than €127,000 for residential property
    Price less than €10,000 for non-residential property

http://www.oasis.gov.ie/housing/buying_a_house_or_flat/stamp_duty.html?search=stamp+duty

• Registered Users Posts: 17,189 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Is it true that first time buyer means you did not previously buy a property anywhere else in the world?

Edit: Just got my answer from the link above
    Who has not on any previous occasion, either individually or jointly, purchased or built on his/her own behalf a house in Ireland or abroad;

• Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Andrew Duffy

Further to Victor's list of exemptions, the stamp duty on new property above 125 sqm is calculated in a moderately complex way, meaning that many large new properties are still stamp duty exempt.

Advertisement