Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tekken 5 on ps2?

Options
  • 16-07-2005 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭

any of you played this yet?
    what do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

I have had it a while now, I think its brilliant, I thought Tekken4 was lacking, however Tekken5 feels a lot more polished and the charecters feel alot more 'complete'. Currently have gotten good with King (old favourite), Feng and Law. While the computer players are a lot harder than they were previously, it still isnt that hard to beat through on ultra hard if you have a good grasp of your charecter however, but a lot harder than previous ones. I havent got to play much against other people, as while theres loads of people around here who play it a bit, theres noone else around who really took time to learn the game, or even a charecter, properly, so ultra hard computer is all I have to play with, but regardless its good fun to play through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭batman_oh

tis great, a return to form after the shambolic tekken 4
    any1 lookin for a good game gis a bell
    every1 in the arcade wotn play me now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

i have never gotten on well with tekken or fighting games in general tbh cause they get boring way too quickly but tekken 5 is brillaint. it has stated to get a bit boring yea but it plays so well. i have unlocked all the characters and dont ever intend on going near the devil within game again. i finished the first stage and was so pissed off i had another 4 to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

I played in my mates the other night is pretty good, but god damn i hate button mashers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

Any idea what is needed to get past 1st Dan in arcade mode?
    I've won 30+ matches at this level - and still haven't had another ranking match.

any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Got it myself on the weekend, havent had much time to play it but i love it already. It far more tekken tag than tekken 4. The fighting feels alot more..i dunno, solid, like a real fight. and its good to see the character roster boosted too asfter the slim pickings in tekken 4. Currently getting good with jin, bruce and old favourites baek and hworang. Im lovin it so far, bit god damn that jinpachi is a pain in the swiss roll

jinpachi has to be the cheapest character in a game ever. that fire ball from his stomach is ridiculous. I fought him one time and he did it twice in a row. fcukin stupid tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 BloodNinjaCult

ah, Jinpachi, what a -blam!- Thankfully he is not a playable character. I've always been a tekken fan but T4 really was awful; Tekken 5 however ROCKS! Buy that baby if you haven't already......BUY IT!

evad_lhorg wrote:
    jinpachi has to be the cheapest character in a game ever. that fire ball from his stomach is ridiculous. I fought him one time and he did it twice in a row. fcukin stupid tbh.

time to learn how to sidestep

ever notice how alot of the time if youre kicking jinpachis ass hell do the move where he steals some of your energy, then do a couple of fireballs and boom, game over

• Advertisement

MiCr0 wrote:
    Any idea what is needed to get past 1st Dan in arcade mode?
    I've won 30+ matches at this level - and still haven't had another ranking match.

any ideas?

it took me ages to get by it. i just kept choosing the opponent that was up on the d-pad and eventually got it. i was about that many wins too before i got a ranking match. and the thing is i lost that match. lol

and i have tried side stepping. it's just too slow. the only way i found to avoid it is the drop to the ground with lei.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

I think Tekken 5 is the game which finally surpasses the mighty Virtua Fighter 4 : Evolution in terms of gameplay I strongly recommend anyone who has a PS2 to buy it - it annoys me to see all the movie tie-in crap like Madagascar,Batman Begins and Fantastic 4 higher then this top-class game in the charts. Forgot about the nightmare that was Tekken 4 and buy this one.

Two Tiny problems wiv it tho :rolleyes:
    1:The final boss Jinpachi is incredibly cheap his fireball move takes off 2/3 of your health and is unblockable - he also has a "stun" move which can stun your character and allow him to use any move he wants. This stun moves hit regardles of what you are doing - even in midair your character somehow becomes pinned to the ground mid-move. The best way to beat him is to keep him on the ground (duh!)
    with rushing moves like bryan's -> -> Triangle or Law's -> -> X kick which sens him flying! ;)

2:You cant save your replays anymore! the ppl in namco really messed up on this one, how the hell can the only good feature of Tekken 4 be left out of 5?
    hundreds of times at this stage ive wanted to save my replays (especially against Jinpachi :D ) but cant.

now up as far as 5th Dan with Nina
    Sage here i come :)

1st dan with jin last night. this game rocks, first Ps2 game ive enjoyed in ages!

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Borat_Sagdiyev

I played in my mates the other night is pretty good, but god damn i hate button mashers.

I feel your pain. There is an ultimate satisfaction though when you beat them consistently - showing them that their approach to the game is godawful. Some of them are persistant, the'll keep playing you with their sh!te tactic, thinking that the last six fights in a row they were beaten were all flukes, that its only a matter of time before things start to go their way.

You gotta love the [hold away from person] + [grab move] move!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,402 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Hercule wrote:
    I think Tekken 5 is the game which finally surpasses the mighty Virtua Fighter 4 : Evolution in terms of gameplay

Careful now. I wouldn't go that far. VF4 requires martial arts type dedication with a gamepad to master. Tekken 5 is an easy to pick up and relatively easy to master fighting game. It is however a decent enough fighting game if you like Tekken especially with all the impressive extras.

Hey dont get me wrong VF:evo is still the king of fighting games but it severe learning curve isolates newer ppl. Its a different type of game with a slower more strategic pace - id still buy VF4:evo over Tekken 5 due to its hours of longevity and unlockables. However if you surveyed 100 people new to fighting games hands down tekken would beat VF4:EVO. It can also be safely said that button-mashers in VF4:EVO dont last long , where in Tekken if your new to it just pick Christy(ie?) or Eddy and hold -> whilst pressing O and X repeatedly and you'll win against only the strongest players. The strangest thing is that although tekken's fight mechanics arent as detailed,complicated or intelligent as Virtua Fighter's they are certainly a lot more enjoyable as matches are much faster and more thrilling.

(after a lengthy think about it)
    Final Verdict:
    VF4:Evolution is the better game for people who are good at games.
    Tekken 5 is the better game for those who are not good at games.
    (You could just get both :))

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,402 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Hercule wrote:
    (You could just get both :))

And say goodbye to your life :)

I wonder would you start getting overly aggressive if u played BOTH of them a lot? You know start punching and kicking in your sleep
    Although,
    If Pacman had affected us as kids we'd all be running around in dark rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive music.
    Comedian Marcus Brigstocke

Hercule wrote:
    1:The final boss Jinpachi is incredibly cheap his fireball move takes off 2/3 of your health and is unblockable - he also has a "stun" move which can stun your character and allow him to use any move he wants. This stun moves hit regardles of what you are doing - even in midair your character somehow becomes pinned to the ground mid-move. The best way to beat him is to keep him on the ground (duh!)
    with rushing moves like bryan's -> -> Triangle or Law's -> -> X kick which sens him flying!
    Jinpachi isnt that bad, just keep up close and constantly attack, hes awful at blocking for whatever reason, so just keep laying on pressure and he isnt THAT hard to beat.

Im liking the sound of this VF4:evo lark, havent played a virtual fighter game since Fighters Megamix (a very fun game btw). I must look into this :)

• Advertisement

Yeah trust me you wont regret it VF4:EVO can be snapped uo for around 20 euro new at the moment. Also Jinpachi IS that bad compared to every other boss character in the tekken series (im assuming you are talking about the easy mode jinpachi when you say he is bad at blocking) have you tried it on a higher difficulty? or even in the arcades -the guy is a LOT tougher on hard or ultra hard (hence the name I guess :rolleyes: ). There is no question that he is the cheapest boss i've ever seen in a fighting game - (except maybe Street Fighter Alpha 3, infinite specials my arse! :mad: )

th eonly character ive managed to beat jinpachi first go with is Wang Jinrei. I love the oul lad. he rocks.

what level are you guys playing at?

Hercule wrote:
    have you tried it on a higher difficulty? or even in the arcades -the guy is a LOT tougher on hard or ultra hard (hence the name I guess :rolleyes: ). There is no question that he is the cheapest boss i've ever seen in a fighting game
    Who do you take me for? lol, Ive been playing Tekken for years, theres no point playing on anything apart from Ultra Hard, and Jinpach is still pretty easy, for some reason however Nina is a real git though on ultra hard. As for the lord of cheap bosses, Marvel vs Capcom, Cyber Akuma was simply childishly powerful, never could beat him on anything above 5/8 stars.

beat Anna @ Champion level last night, but only moved up to Shihan

She was a lot harder than the previous levels (sage etc)

Only 10 more levels to go (and 29 more characters) ;)

Anyone know how many chars there is? Ive unlocked everyone (last oen was devil jin) just wondering if theres any hidden ones like in TTT

From teh tekken 5 faq on ign

TEKKEN 5 CHARACTERS
    The game starts with 20 starting characters and 10 characters are unlockable.

Starting
    CRAIG MARDUK
    MARSHALL LAW
    HWORANG
    KING
    RAVEN
    ASUKA KAZAMA
    FENG WEI
    CHRISTIE
    PAUL PHOENIX
    JACK 5
    LEI WULONG
    NINA WILLIAMS
    STEVE FOX
    KAZUYA MISHIMA
    LING XIAYOU
    JIN KAZAMA
    LEE CHAOLAN
    JULIA CHANG
    YOSHIMITSU
    BRYAN FURY

Unlockables
    ROGER JR
    ANNA WILLIAMS
    BAEK DOO SAN
    MOKUJIN
    DEVIL JIN
    GANRYU
    WANG JINFREY
    BRUCE IRVIN
    KUMA/PANDA
    HEIHACHI MISHIMA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭PiZaRR-0

To get ranked quickly just pick a fighter thats closest to your rank should only take around 30 or so to get to shihan,

Jinpachin is a bollix, pure and simple. Hes freeze move is crazy, he can beat ur perfect anytime if he wants. Just sidestep his fireball, 334 works a lot with byran, then ff 2 then bb 4.

Anywho - people should come into quirkies and play, theres lots of idiots any half decent player can beat like that batman bloke! lol!

I play there under the same name on my card. MaD aXes <PiZaRR-0>

The game rocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Tekken5isalive

Hello,

I am organising a Tekken 5 tournament in Trinity college on Wednesday 5th October at 5pm in the buttery (the bar to the left as you come into the main square after walking through the arch). All are welcome. There will be a small entry fee (1euro or 2 euro) but the only prize will be the glory of being the best.

• Advertisement

i shall be there! :D probably get destroyed but ah well/

Advertisement