Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oasis @ The Point 21/12/05

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

*sarcasm* YAY *sarcasm*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Shane Smith

*punch*

:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

How many were at the Marley Park gig?

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭atlantean

Ro: maaan! wrote:
    How many were at the Marley Park gig?
    Thousands!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

Eh... Any idea how many thousand?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭moshpit77

it was a 30,000 sellout

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭susanna

I thought Marlay's capacity was 17,000....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭pigeonbutler

Deffo more than 17000 there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

Think it was 23 thousand lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭robo

Think it was 23 thousand lads
    And there were about how many girls...

Anyway, was anyone else pi55ed at it finishing at 10:15pm?? Bit early I thought! I know there is some time restraint due to the location, but Gawd...they could have gone on a little longer! But other than that, I thought it was a good gig!

• Advertisement

They played for an hour and a half though, which is pretty much standard

I hear Marley only holds 16,000....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

What was their set like?
    I mean, did they play the good stuff (ie, from Definitely Maybe, Morning Glory and Masterplan) or was it mostly the new album and newer (ie rubbisher) stuff?

Cos I loved Oasis back in the day, got to see em when I was just 10 at the Point in 95, and I figure I should go and see em a decade on, for the hell of it. But... I've heard the new album, and, Importance of Being Idle aside, it's totally naff.

So, u ppl saw em at Marlay Park. Were they great, or far from great?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭pajodublin

There were 28,700 there, official source compared to 18,000 at coldplay.
    I thought the coldplay gig was good til i seen this, oasis never disappoint when it comes to gigs. cant believe what im readin, tickets on sale 23/07/05.
    I'll be there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭digiman

I thought it was a brilliant concert. Thought it was better than u2, but there are a few reasons for that:
    Sound was excellent,
    I was standing,
    Close to the stage,
    I like oasis more than u2,
    They played about 5 or 6 of their new songs, 4 from Whats the Story, around 3 or 4 from Definitely Maybe and a few from their middle albums and finished with My Generation.
    There were so many other class songs that they didn't play like Roll with it, Shes
    Electric, The Masterplan and a few more.
    Overall absouletly brilliant concert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

SebtheBum wrote:
    What was their set like?
    I mean, did they play the good stuff (ie, from Definitely Maybe, Morning Glory and Masterplan) or was it mostly the new album and newer (ie rubbisher) stuff?

Cos I loved Oasis back in the day, got to see em when I was just 10 at the Point in 95, and I figure I should go and see em a decade on, for the hell of it. But... I've heard the new album, and, Importance of Being Idle aside, it's totally naff.

So, u ppl saw em at Marlay Park. Were they great, or far from great?

I thought they were absolutly brilliant and everyone around me seemed to really enjoy it. One of the highlights was when they started playing Live Forever the whole crowd sung the song up to the chorus. The band just playing the drum beat and stood there watching us all sing!

Setlist:
    Turn Up The Sun
    Lyla
    Bring it on Down
    Morning Glory
    Cigarettes & Alcohol
    Importance of Being Idle
    Little by Little
    A Bell Will Ring
    Acquiesce
    Songbird
    Live Forever
    Mucky Fingers
    Wonderwall
    Champagne Supernove
    Rock 'N' Roll Star

Encore:
    Guess God Thinks I'm Abel
    The Meaning OF Soul
    Don't Look Back In Anger
    My Generation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭soph

FANTASTIC GIG !!! besides nearly gettin crushed to death tryin to get to front (stupid me) will know for again. lots headders there though. couldnt have asked for better weather either. FAB!

digiman wrote:
    I thought it was a brilliant concert. Thought it was better than u2, but there are a few reasons for that:
    Sound was excellent,
    I was standing,
    Close to the stage,
    I like oasis more than u2,...

I agree, I was at U2 also and the sound was fúcking rubbish. Oasis were a lot better.

Did anyone use the free jump over the wall method to get in? I had a few friends with no tickets and there was nobody outside selling tickets at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭soph

id a spare ticket, and somehow sold it to a man on cruthes with only 1 leg !!! hmmm suss !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

soph wrote:
    id a spare ticket, and somehow sold it to a man on cruthes with only 1 leg !!! hmmm suss !!!
    that guy is a well known tout....

It was a great gig though. That was my first Marlay Park experience. Excellent venue...

Oasis were really good. I've seen them countless times at this stage and this was an excellent performance from them. There didn't seem to be too much crowd interaction from them, like back in the old days, but they are a solid act...

I'll definitely be trying to get my hands on some tickets for the point gig

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭digiman

soph wrote:
    lots headders there though.
    Don't think I've ever seen so many headers in the one place in my life. Was good craic though. Someone started throwing the plastic pint glasses half full of beer, so this sort of caught on and everyone was at it for a while. Looked like fun untill I got a splash of it.
    One of the highlights was when they started playing Live Forever the whole crowd sung the song up to the chorus. The band just playing the drum beat and stood there watching us all sing!

I though Rock n Roll Star was really good, they had the screens displaying ROCK, ROLL, STAR which was pretty cool.

The only bad thing I would say was that the transport out of Marley Park was a joke. Had to walk until South Circular Road (I think) before I was able to get a taxi. Every bus was full, you would think they could have put on enough, seeing as there were over 20,000 at it.
    I think its a bit soon to go see them again in The Point in 5 months but I wouldn't rule it out. It will be more or less the same show again. Any idea on the price of tickets?

its official, 22,000 @ Marley (I stand corrected:o)

http://www.oasisinet.com/site.php?site=news&idx=603

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Saw the lads and their posse yesterday at the airport and fair play to Liam, he stopped and talked with people, shook their hands and let them take pictures with him.

Although he does walk rather strange!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

digiman wrote:
    The only bad thing I would say was that the transport out of Marley Park was a joke. Had to walk until South Circular Road (I think) before I was able to get a taxi.

Same as me it was such a pain the ass

I thought Oasis were class though. When we were walking in the gates we got dragged aside by some security guard started asking us qts and then said here you go as he proceeded to put pit bands on our arms this was at bout qtr past 7. We ended up 2 rows from the stage.

I thought Live Forever, Rock & Roll Star and the Importance of being Idle were the best songs(i think that was the one when they had all the quotes on the screen's like "it is better to have loafed and lost than to not have loafed at all" (thought they were funny)).

Did anyone else up the front think the security were very heavy handed. One of them just kept reefing people out from the crowd into the gap between it and the pit and gave then a few digs for crowd surfing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I guess for transport out, it just depends on how well you know the area.
    The smart ones walked a little bit up the road to catch the buses earlier on....before they hit the crowds waiting outside the park (fools!).

Dub bus ran their usual special buses - I think at €10? Bit of a joke if you knew the local buses...

Parking shouldnt have been a prob for anyone driving.

And there was also the Luas - just a 15/20 min walk over to Balally... it ran every 15mins into town.

I actually think its one of the best venues for transport....... well, I would say that living 15mins away :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

Thought the band were excellent. Great gig. But ive never seen such a collection of scangers knackers and general lowlifes at a gig though in my life.

Crime figures in dublin must have halved between the hours of 4 and 10.

Four guys in front of me in Celtic Jerseys (WTF??) openly snorted lines of coke in front of everyone, also made no effort to piss in the toilets but on the grass in front of everyone.

God fooking help anyone going to the Eminem gig. I can only imagine how bad it will be with 100,000 of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

RedorDead wrote:
    Four guys in front of me in Celtic Jerseys (WTF??) openly snorted lines of coke in front of everyone, also made no effort to piss in the toilets but on the grass in front of everyone.

QUOTE]

Did on eof the guys have short reddish hair. Coz their was one guy with Celtic jersey doing the extact same thing at the U2 gig. Talk about Scum!

Yeah the pikey content was pretty high alright...

There were a few guys in front of us with a Northern Ireland flag (st georges cross with the red hand of ulster).. They were waving it about etc. Couple of lads in front of us decided to go down to them, pull if off them and burn the flag... rather entertaining :eek:

• Advertisement

RedorDead wrote:
    Thought the band were excellent. Great gig. But ive never seen such a collection of scangers knackers and general lowlifes at a gig though in my life.

Completely agree, I couldn't believe it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

lol....Gotta agree with the numbers of scangers, lowlifes, and general misfits who were there!

BTW, did anyone know in advance who the support acts were gonna be?? Ticketmaster sent out an email a few days before REM stating the support acts and the timetable for the afternon - nothing this time.

Have to say that the parking arrangements were spot on. My GF and I left the concert during "My Generation" at 10.20, got to the car (in one of the car parks) at 10.24 and were back in Bewleys hotel at Newlands Cross at 10.45pm. We drove straight out, no delays. Much better than the arrangements at REM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I thought it was a great concert,
    the sound was excellent,
    everyone singing Live Forever was class,
    saw a few knacks throwing punches,
    got hit with some beer from the flying plastic yokes,
    GREAT!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

RedorDead wrote:
    Thought the band were excellent. Great gig. But ive never seen such a collection of scangers knackers and general lowlifes at a gig though in my life..
    Agree with you there. I was working security (my first day on the job) and what a day to start! There was an incredible amount of people strung out on estacy wandering around and openly taking it. Loads of drunk people, which I suppose is understandable, at least we didnt have too much alchol posioning cases. I was at the first aid tent, and lots of guys kept coming in covered in blood as well from fights, so I'd imagine there was a good few going on. We spent a good 2 hours tying to stop the knackers from pissing against the outside of the portoloos (I mean WTF???), and also trying to convince this poor girl who kept throwing up to go to the first aid tent, she was too scared though (We really don't care what you've taken like!). Was a very interesting way to start off the job though, and the band were pretty good, even if they didn't play enough of their old stuff - at least they played don't look back in anger. I thought that went really well, especially the end of it for some reason :)
    God fooking help anyone going to the Eminem gig. I can only imagine how bad it will be with 100,000 of them.
    Yeah will probably be doing that one as well - oh dear the thought of having to deal with all those 13 year old wannabe rappers :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

blondie83 wrote:
    Yeah will probably be doing that one as well - oh dear the thought of having to deal with all those 13 year old wannabe rappers :eek:

good luck with that one... you're gonna need gunshot wound training for that one...

(spudgun at worst hopefully!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

yeah it was a great concert. but for live forever when evryone start singing was it just me or did everyone start singing to early and so liam had to wait? I was very drunk so can anyone confirm this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

Can someone confirm this date, as the Oasis wedsite is saying 23/12 while on Ticketmast it's 21/12

Either way I'm going

Can someone confirm this date, as the Oasis wedsite is saying 23/12 while on Ticketmast it's 21/12

Either way I'm going

Typo I reckon. This link says 21st: http://www.oasisinet.com/site.php?site=news&idx=603

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

They're playing the 22nd as well. http://www.ticketmaster.ie/artist/766720

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Woooooooo! Got my ticket for the Wednesday show..... just about. I believe it sold out in 10 minutes......... who says Oasis aren't popular anymore!

blondie83 wrote:
    Agree with you there. I was working security (my first day on the job) and what a day to start! There was an incredible amount of people strung out on estacy wandering around and openly taking it. Loads of drunk people, which I suppose is understandable, at least we didnt have too much alchol posioning cases. I was at the first aid tent, and lots of guys kept coming in covered in blood as well from fights, so I'd imagine there was a good few going on. We spent a good 2 hours tying to stop the knackers from pissing against the outside of the portoloos (I mean WTF???), and also trying to convince this poor girl who kept throwing up to go to the first aid tent, she was too scared though (We really don't care what you've taken like!). Was a very interesting way to start off the job though, and the band were pretty good, even if they didn't play enough of their old stuff - at least they played don't look back in anger. I thought that went really well, especially the end of it for some reason :)

Blondie, forget about that Engineeering nonsense....... security is the career for you. We need more dangerous people like blondie to combat the skangers and townies......... best of luck at Slane! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

Both sold out now. I got mine, can't wait! Marlay was class. What's the point like as a venue?

• Advertisement

The point is a pretty good venue. I like it for the 'winter' gigs. Bitch of a walk home though up the quays :D

Sound is always good in the point as well and the crowd is about 8,000, so its not too big and not too small...

Advertisement