Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samhain/Hallowe'en Party - Rough Headcount Thread

Options
  • 16-07-2005 4:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭

Now, this is quite some time off, but poeticseraphim and I (and no doubt others we rope in coming up to the event) are planning to hold a fancy-dress party in Dublin some time near Samhain for the Pagan community (and others can come too, if they can deal with partying with Pagans :)).

There was one about 8 years ago, and it was a great hoot, so it's about time we had another go.

There will be a small cover charge, probably around a fiver, and proceeds will find a good home. Right now we're deciding on venues, which in turn requires us to have a rough idea of numbers.

As such it would be helpful if you could post here, or PM me, if you think you would be likely to attend. Say if you'll be bringing someone else. Comments like "I'd say it'd be about 80% likely I'd be there" are useful too, as are ideas about venues (somewhere with a bar, ideally where the function room has its own toilets separate from the rest of the venue, so people could use them to get changed).

Please don't both answer here and also on email, or you'll just confuse me :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭solas

I'll bet they all dress up as nuns and priests...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

solas wrote:
    I'll bet they all dress up as nuns and priests...
    Last time there were no Christian priests that I recall (I could be wrong) but quite a lot of nuns and quite a lot of stereotype witches (pointy hat etc.).

My ex-wife dressed as a nun (Sr. Matthew Mark Luke John Paul George Ringo) with a ruler and I went as a schoolgirl (Contracepta). We won first prize :)

*feigns suprise*

mmm..maybe my psychic abilities are comming back..
    I'd go as a moo cow but I'd need an udder half.

So are you going?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I will be there.
    Life, kids, weather and all other catacylismic events allowing.

• Advertisement

So are you going?
    my pagan is rusty..when is samhain exactly? (when I count the months as gealige I get november..that can't be right can it?)

will see how it goes, might be a great oppertunity to meet a few folks.

<edit> lol..apologies, I just realised when samhain is...I dunno why but I always associate it with summer time.

Hallowe'en.

Ages off yet, I just want a rough idea of numbers a good bit ahead of time.

solas wrote:
    lol..apologies, I just realised when samhain is...I dunno why but I always associate it with summer time.
    The word does literally mean "Summer's end" (from the time when the Celts marked the year in two seasons, these days we would think of it more as Autumn's end), so that's not that strange.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

If it doesn't clash with the full moon, I can have time off work no bother, so I look forward to an excuse to dress up.

I wonder if my freind still has a key to the drama closet.... Costumes!

The word does literally mean "Summer's end"
    I think I confuse it with samhra (summer), is why I thought it was a harvest fesitval time.

give us a reminder before novemeber.

• Advertisement

It is a harvest festival, the last culling before winter. I will of course remind all closer to the date, I'm just trying to get a rough idea for the planning stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭NeilJ

I should be there unless it's the same night as UCD PaganSocs Samhain Party.

Neil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Yule3

I might be there, although none of my friends are pagan and I don't know if they would be able to make it. But I don't mind coming , if I have nothing else planned. It should be fun. :D

I would prefer if the venue was central and in easy access, as I am in Bray and I probably wouldn't be able to make it if it was over in the North side of Dublin. But if you cannot find a more central location, no worries :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭McGinty

I'd like to go and would probably bring someone with me, again if somewhere central as I'd have to stay in a B&B somewhere as I live in Arklow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭hairyheretic

My last time in fancy dress I turned up as a Sith Lord, and the highlight of my night was being told "You scare me. You really do." :D

I'd say tentatively interested, dependent on actual date and location (the usual suspects).

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Whats the story for this then Talliesin? Any plans come to shape? If I go, and I probably will, I'll bring some mates along for the ride too... :)

Well, there's been enough interest on other places I've asked that I'm certainly planning to go ahead with it. Shall start thinking more seriously about just how after Lughnasadh.

Coolas, if ya need a hand, just gimme a shout. :)

Jesjes wrote:
    Coolas, if ya need a hand, just gimme a shout. :)
    BWAHAHAHAHA YOU FOOL!

*ahem*, I mean, kind of you to volunteer. Much appreciated.

Advertisement