Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Screen too dark

• 16-07-2005 5:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭

I have a Dell 9300 thats a few months old and which is in pefect condition. The only real gripe I have with it is that the screen is not bright enough to use the lappy outside-even in the evening. Which is a pity with the great weather we have been having lately. There are no knobs to make the screen brighter like on a desktop monitor. Is there any setting I can change to force the screen brighter even at the expense of battery life?

Thx

mrblack

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭dawballz

Sometimes there is a setting in the BIOS where you can set it.

Also there is normally the FN key and a Brightness UP and Down arrow on the keyboard which can be used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

mrblack wrote:
    There are no knobs to make the screen brighter like on a desktop monitor.
    It isn't a knob but hold down the Fn key and press the up-arrow cursor key. Repeat as desired. I can't rememebr whether there's a BIOS setting as well like dawballz suggested but there could well be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭dawballz

Yeap in my comp therr is a bios setting alright./

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

There should be a key command set to the Fn key, (on mine it's Fn+F5) check the laptop manual. Also, go to your display settings>advanced>colour correction and change the Digital Vibrance to medium/high. The screen will look much better. (At the cost of battery of corse)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

The best solution I find is to set the desktop theme to high-contrast white. Right click the desktop->Properties->Appearance->colour scheme.

I don't think any laptop screen can be easily viewed outside in sunlight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

I am using a HP Pavilion laptop, I just hold the FN key and f8 to turn up the brightness..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Adviser

Same here, im using an emachines...
    funkyflea wrote:
    I am using a HP Pavilion laptop, I just hold the FN key and f8 to turn up the brightness..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

DingChavez wrote:
    There should be a key command set to the Fn key, (on mine it's Fn+F5) check the laptop manual.
    funkyflea wrote:
    Adviser wrote:
    Same here, im using an emachines...

No offence intended guys, given that you're trying to help, but given that he got the answer tailored to his specific laptop in the first two-three replies, apart from DingChavez's secondary suggestion which may well be useful (kudos, dude) (and of course tom's, which I haven't quoted above for obvious reasons), there isn't much point in letting him know about the handy shortcuts on your made-by-other-people-with-different-shortcuts-from-those-already-mentioned laptops.

That sounds ratty. I'm not trying to be ratty. Assume I'm not being ratty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭mrblack

Yeah lads thanks for all those helpful replies. Never even noticed the Fn key before or a few other keys either for that matter :confused: Unfortunately the screen was already at max brightness using the Fn & arrow keys but I will try the BIOS settings later when I get home. Also I don't recall having unpacked any manual from Dell with the laptop. I had such an ordeal getting it that I was relieved when it arrived at all & it is working great except for this little problem.
    sceptre wrote:
    No offence intended guys, given that you're trying to help, but given that he got the answer tailored to his specific laptop in the first two-three replies, apart from DingChavez's secondary suggestion which may well be useful (kudos, dude) (and of course tom's, which I haven't quoted above for obvious reasons), there isn't much point in letting him know about the handy shortcuts on your made-by-other-people-with-different-shortcuts-from-those-already-mentioned laptops.

That sounds ratty. I'm not trying to be ratty. Assume I'm not being ratty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

AFAIK there's nothing in the BIOS either (not on I8600 anyways)...Fn+Up sets the brightness to max....you could try opening the display utility of the gfx card and playing around with the gamma and contrast settings, but TBH a high res LCD screen is nigh impossible to see in any detail whilst outside.
    I wonder is there some sort of sahde/cover type thing available...I'm sure you're not the first to run into this problem...

• Advertisement
Advertisement