Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Style site differences...

• 16-07-2005 6:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭

Was just browsing a few items on the irish sony style site earlier and noticed a lot of *ahem* irregularities...
    The most shocking was a HI-Minidisc walkman (NH-Z1) which on the irish site is retailing at €450 all in.
    http://shop.sonystyle-europe.com/SonyStyle/b2c/init.do?shop=SST_IE_EN

But on it's UK sister site the same model is going for £95 (~€145)
    http://shop.sonystyle-europe.com/SonyStyle/b2c/init.do?shop=SST_GB_EN

[BTW neither of those sites will work under firefox; IE only I think]

Both the units are the EXACT same and are refurbished and apparently selling for "Half Price" :rolleyes:
    The same model was on Amazon up until last week for £99 brand new.

So I thought it was an anomaly or a typo till I looked at the selection of HDD players...NW-HD3 on the Irish site is €229, but on the UK site is £115 (~€170).
    These too are refurbished models...

But upon further digging I found items that are cheaper on the Irish site...memory sticks, some of the laptop accessories...nothing too expensive mind.
    So what's the deal here? I can't see why there should be more than a 4% price difference to account for VAT, and it's most likely that the UK and Irish site share the same physical distribution centre...is it a case of rip off, or just IT staff who can't use a currency converter?
    I like Sony's products but I can't see myslef buying from their online shop if this is their idea of good marketing...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

This has been done to death with regard sites like cdwow and komplett. Different prices for different countries seems to be the norm.

€449 is the price of a new NH1 in Ireland so I'd imagine its incorrectly listed as refurbished.

Advertisement