Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

liam miller

• 16-07-2005 10:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭

http://www.manutd.com/news/fullstory.sps?iNewsid=200437&itype=466&icategoryid=120

just noticed miller popped up and scored in uniteds first pre-season. personally im a huge fan of miller and im surprised he saw so little football last year. from an irish point of view too its crucial he gets playing somewhere this year.

i really hope he gets a better chance this year or is given the diginity of a transfer. any of ye like to see him at your club?

wmj

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

i think he was crazy goin to united for starters

at his age he needs to be playing football for a semi decent mid table team to get experience

wouldnt mind seein him at the villa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

im a fan of his 2 nd a fan of united. I hope he gets more games r mayb a loan spell somewhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

O Shea Miller future Man Utd midfield, and playing at a Man utd level of player.....hmmm what a prospect for Ireland.

Fergie hedging his bets on that one, reckons they *may* make it but also have 20 odd million to spend on a quick fix isnt a bad option. Fergie reckons they *could* be the best mid possible for a future team.

Doubt it simply because of the 20 million availabe, one bad game at them matters(usually knocks them out of somfin).

kdjac

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Miller actually had a good game when he came on for the second half. Fergie actually fielded 2 teams during the game.

This was the team for the first half:
    Van der Sar; McShane, Richardson, Pique, Ferdinand, Fletcher, Jones, Kleberson, Rossi, Saha, Park.

And this was for the team for the second half:
    Howard; Bardsley, Eckersley, Smith, O’Shea, Silvestre, Miller, Rooney, Scholes, van Nistelrooy, Giggs.

One point of interest though, for the first half, Instead of Judas(sorry Rio) getting the captains armband, Fergie gave it to Fletcher. Park had a quite enough half. I suppose he will need better opposition.

During the secong half RVN has a couple of misses again. Lets just hope he can get his goal scoring touch back again. I know he bagged two, but he missed two handy ones also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Fletcher will take one of the midfield positions for the next few years who gets the other is debatable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Liam Miller has huge potential, but every chance Fergie gives to him he doens't shine.
    He will get more chances this season, and if he takes them, he could become a quality player, but he has to take em.
    You only get at most 3 chances at United, after that, Fergie's made up his mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,316 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

The worst decision of his fledgling career (he is 24!!) was leaving Celtic to join Man Utd.

The worst decision of his fledgling career (he is 24!!) was leaving Celtic to join Man Utd.

Worst decision of Celtic board. Not to offer a nearly out of contract player a contract.

He possibly would have stayed had they offered him before Xmas.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Why Is that?

As you say he's 24 so he's no kid. I,m sure his ambition would always have been to play for a club like United. Rooney and Ronaldo are both younger than him and manage to hold down a first team place. Fergie has always given youth their chance and if they produce they will be played regularly, if not they won't. It's as simple as that. To say it'a a mistake for a player at 24 years of age to join one of the biggest clubs in the world if they come calling is silly. He's had a year to settle in now and I hope he starts to produce trhe form he was showing at Celtic, If he does I'm sure he will have a career at Unied if not he will be sold but he should have no regrets as at least he will have given it his best shot when he got the oppertunity .

The Muppet wrote:
    Rooney and Ronaldo are both younger than him and manage to hold down a first team place.

Both were bought for high fees and massive expectancy, he was hardly gonna not play them and see if they settle. Miller was free therefore a cheap gamble if Rooney or Ronaldo had of failed it would have been an expensive failure.

Rooney and Ronaldo have had some nightmare games, Miller hasnt got a chance to have a bad game only produce when played.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

at times ive been impressed by fletcher but at the same time i just think hes too light to be playing in centre mid and hes not good enough to displace ronaldo down the right. so id like to see him beef up a bit. fergie is definitely a fan of his so miller has it all to do.

i heard kleberson has said he wants out and is expecting a move to benifica again. i havent heard anything of miller moving so hopefull this season will be a rewarding season for him.

as for the rio situation, not getting the armband and been jeered wonthelp the situation but i can understand everyones frustration. i dont think he will leave and its all just a ploy to get some more money,despite this i think he owes it to the club to just sign up asap.

The Muppet wrote:
    Why Is that?

It is obvious that Miller has not progressed as a player in the Man United squad. A lot of people, including Brian Kerr, predicted as much.
    As you say he's 24 so he's no kid.

With very little 1st team football to show for it at any club. He was injured for the vast majority of his time at Celtic.
    I,m sure his ambition would always have been to play for a club like United. Rooney and Ronaldo are both younger than him and manage to hold down a first team place.

There is playing for a club like United then there is being a squad member at a team like United. It is obvious which one Miller was going to do.
    Fergie has always given youth their chance and if they produce they will be played regularly, if not they won't. It's as simple as that.

Cannot diagree with that
    To say it'a a mistake for a player at 24 years of age to join one of the biggest clubs in the world if they come calling is silly.

From a footballing point of view, it is not silly at all, especially considering said player has hardly had a season of 1st team football at any club.
    He's had a year to settle in now and I hope he starts to produce trhe form he was showing at Celtic,

For the benefit of the RoI, I hope he does.
    If he does I'm sure he will have a career at Unied if not he will be sold but he should have no regrets as at least he will have given it his best shot when he got the oppertunity .

No regrets apart from going backwards from a footballing point of view. Nice for his bank balance though.

KdjaC wrote:
    Worst decision of Celtic board. Not to offer a nearly out of contract player a contract.

I agree there
    He possibly would have stayed had they offered him before Xmas.

kdjac

I can only agree with that if they had offered a contract prior to Fergie being at Celtic Park for the Champions League game where Miller was a star

There is playing for a club like United then there is being a squad member at a team like United. It is obvious which one Miller was going to do..

I can only agree with that if they had offered a contract prior to Fergie being at Celtic Park for the Champions League game where Miller was a star

So he was a star in the champions league with Celtic yet it was obvious to you that he would only be a squad player at United. That's a wonderful gift you have.

It still not obvious to me that Miller will not make it at United. If he produces the form that he is capable of he is good enough for anyones first team.

The Muppet wrote:
    So he was a star in the champions league with Celtic yet it was obvious to you that he would only be a squad player at United. That's a wonderful gift you have.

It still not obvious to me that Miller will not make it at United. If he produces the form that he is capable of he is good enough for anyones first team.

He was a star in that particluar game. The most important thing Miller needed was an extended run playing 1st team football (something that was lacking due to injury over the previous seasons). It was obvious to me and most people I spoke to that Miller would not get that extended run in 1st team football at Man United (where competition for a place was a lot lot stronger).

Do you believe he was going to get that extended run when he joined Man United?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The Muppet wrote:
    So he was a star in the champions league with Celtic
    One match against Anderlecht IIRC, he was Ronaldo class on the night, that performance was nearly 2 years back and has not been repeated since.

Dunno if he shoulda gone to MU either .

I think he was a mistake for Man UNited to sign him, but Fergie is desperatly looking for a Keane replacement and it was worth a shot I guess.
    I'd like to see him loaned out for an entire season to one of the lower Prem clubs, and then see if he is any good

Do you believe he was going to get that extended run when he joined Man United?

If he had shone in the qualifying group of the CL for United like he did for Celtic I,m sure he would have earned an extended run in the team but I take your point. Being a Celtic supporter you would have seen a lot more of him than I did up to his move. My judgement of him would be based on his european performances for Celtic and on those few games he looked good enough to me to play in United first team. If he can reproduce that form consistantly he could still have a future at United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭MooShop

It will be hard for him to break in to the United team at present, personally i think a loan spell at a mid table club would do him and the ROI the world of good, just look what a loan spell away from United did for Kieran Richardson. He got an England call up and surely will see more football at United this season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

He will prob get one more chance - the word is Fergie was seriously not impressed with him in the exeter game, so much so that he was taken off. If an offer game him he would be gone.

I don't rate him at all, might do a job for a mid/lower half team.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

ziggy67 wrote:
    As a Celtic fan i'm delighted Miller is having a hard time & i hope his career fizzles out.
    This attitude is pathetic.

He was at Celtic for 7 years starting less than 20 games. He was not offered a contract pre-Christmas and hence was free to talk to anyone post January 1st. United wanted him, and he said yes, a massive step up from Celtic. He was then frozen out of the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

You want to see his career fizzle out because he joined united from celtic? who would turn down a chance to join united from celtic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

Hehe - I was with his gf! :D:o

She's quite a hottie. That's all I want to know about Liam Miller. All I ever see him as is a puff. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

yeah loyalty for the club is gone now look at stevie g flutin around a few weeks ago....he lost my respect even after scoring a hatrick last week...miller did the same to celtic but he went...i personally don't see what the big deal is he's just another player

we are hearing this more and more every week but no player is bigger than the club...especially one who hasn't got the potentional of say cristiano ronaldo or arjen robben

• Advertisement

ziggy67 wrote:

Who would turn down utd from Celtic? Henrik Larsson.
    And Utd are only the 3rd best team in England now BTW, i would imagine Chelsea are now the most attractive team to join. Utd are in decline.

Possibly you are right that United are in decline but even if they are only the third best team in England it is still a massive jump up in class from what Miller was playing with In Scotland. Any player would have done the same under the circumstances.

Miller was not under contract so was free to go wherever he wanted. The blame for that lies squarly with the Celtic management for not offering him a contract until United showed an interest in signing him

Hey, United may be the 3rd biggest team in England, but Celtic are well down that list, with

Liverpool
    Newcastle
    Spurs
    Middlesborough
    and maybe even Everton ahead of them.
    So a jump from the 10th place team, after Rangers of course, to the 3rd isn't that bad.
    Also United were never after Larsoon, Barca were, and they got him on a free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

ziggy67 wrote:
    Never disliked a player before Jivin'?

Oh to be a saint like you :rolleyes:
    Of course I have, I dont claim to be a saint. But I wont be as ignorant to launch a hate campaign against a squad player that left my club (a particularly small one in competitive world terms) after not being offered a contract to go to one of the biggest clubs in the world.

Does anybody have Panathonaikos FCs address? Ive got some venom I feel like venting against that Igor "Judas" Biscan :rolleyes:
    ziggy67 wrote:
    As you point out he started less than 20 games for Celtic so he was only a squad player for us. So he was hardly ready to take the so-called "massive step up" to Man Utd.
    Well AF thought so, and I think is in a better position to decide who is good enough for MU rather than you are.

His career wasnt going the way he had hoped at Celtic. At 23 he had started less than 20 games. It was time to move on, plain and simple.
    ziggy67 wrote:
    Lastly i would love to know how you are privy to the Celtic/Miller contract negotiations?
    Well ADubInGlasgow agreed that he hadnt been offered a contract before Christmas, and I would trust anything he says regarding GCFC, particularly if it was to its detriment.

Miller didnt get offered a contract by management. He is free to talk to any club after January 1st. United came in. United are no rival to Celtic. Miller was no major loss to Celtic. I cant fathom why you and so many people feel the need to hate and curse the lad. He was the one screwed around.

I could understand if he joined Rangers, or in the case of someone like Smith/Ferdinand joining United, but seeing as its nothing of the sort Ill just chalk it up to plain ignorance.

This attitude is pathetic.

He was at Celtic for 7 years starting less than 20 games. He was not offered a contract pre-Christmas and hence was free to talk to anyone post January 1st. United wanted him, and he said yes, a massive step up from Celtic. He was then frozen out of the team.

Strong suspicions that he was talking to Man United well before January 1st

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

PHB wrote:
    I'd like to see him loaned out for an entire season to one of the lower Prem clubs, and then see if he is any good

Thats excatly what he needs.
    otherwise He will join the long list of didn't-make-its at United.

The funny thing is that He played well in a couple of the champions league matches early last year, yet as soon as the injury crisis was over He was dumped on the bench again.

If He doesn't get a run in the first team by christmas He would have to ask for a loan move till the end of the season.
    Central midfielders who are still developing need to play week in, week out.

• Advertisement

OMG, a player linked to United around the time of a contract, how shocking :)

I'm sure eventually Celtic and Rangers will get into the EPL, but it will denegrate them totally into a 'low' level team, the likes of Newcaslte, battling for the odd CL spot, and staying in the UEFA cup.
    Celtic and Rangers are just definally not in the leagues of the top 4, and are imo the worst of the lower league of teams.
    If Celtic/Rangers were in the UEFA cup, they would be a minor team in England.
    If they joined the EPL, this would happen, hence why they are really only a minor team in relation to Man United.

Celtic have never proven any sort of consistancy at the EPL level, all they have done is show the same prowess that Sunderland and Wigan this year in the Championship. Plus had some semi decent CL runs, i.e. group stages

ziggy67 wrote:
    The top three in the Premiership are a class apart from all the others (and Celtic) and IMO Celtic will finish above them,

**** me i nearly fell off the cahir reading that 1st laughing then crying as i realised you believe it :(

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Indeed he should've stayed @ Celtic a few years and gotten more experience behind him instead of joining Man United where he's always gonna mostly be a squad player :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

miller won't get past reserve/squad status at a consistent level at utd no doubt...i think celtic/rangers would be top 10 in the epl...think of villa vs newcastle...i would say an old firm game would have a higher standard of football tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

thats an interesting point about villa newcastle, how many times during a season have you sat down and watched a terrible game. i can remember some absolute stinkers. but theses games exist in every league it just seems to be alot in the premiership. especially last season we had a lot of teams underperforming, even united and the european champions were guilty of it.

i hope this season is a big improvement on last and of course an improvement for miller!

its weird with miller as i havent heard anything from the ot camp about him. no mention of a sale, no mention of a starting place. it would appear fergie has completely forgotten about him. theres alot of talk about ballack at the moment, each day seems to bring even more positive news, that would surely be the final nail in the coffin for miller and he should hand in request.

wmj

Eh???? How do you make that out? last season we drew at the Nou Camp and drew with Milan at home. If Wigan and Sunderland showed that sort of form then fair play to them!!!!

Bravo.
    You got two draws against top teams. You can now be compared to Exeter.
    Wigan and Sunderland dominated a league filled with utter ****e, and perhaps one other half decent team, Ipswich.
    Celtic and Rangers dominated a league filled with utter ****e, and perhaps one other half decent team, Aberdeen.

The difference between the two sets of teams?
    Celtic got to play in the CL, and they scraped some draws against Barca and Milan. Difference between them and say Sunderland is sunderland won their division.
    So whats you've got is what only a Celtic fan could consider a decent cup run, two draws!

to draw against those teams is out of reach as far as sunderland and wigan are concerned..be honest

A lot of folk cannot be honest with themselves and see past the 'Greatest league in the world [(c) Sky]' blurb

ziggy67 wrote:
    I do believe it. The top three (and i did say we wouldn't beat Liverpool) are a class above the rest, who are a dire bunch in a poor league. I would be genuinely disappointed if we couldn't beat them.

Away result in Champions league, something all them get regularly yet you have yet to muster in 5 seasonal attempts. Are you genuinel dissapointed at that ?

4 or 5 years now Celtic been hammering away at that.
    kdjac

jcoote, no matter how ****e a team is, against how good another team is, any team in the PL could put 11 men behind the ball and hold out for a draw against any of the top teams at home.
    Sometimes they'd get broken down, sometimes they wouldn't

Well you did.
    The only thing you had to suggest that either of the two scottish clubs were anywhere near the top 10 teams in england was the draws they got against Milan and the Nou Camp. This was in a cup, albeit in the group stages. All they had was a 'decent' cup run.

By any of the top 4 teams standerds, it'd be a total failure

• Advertisement
Advertisement