Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the half blood prince

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,238 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

But if we're to take the theory that Snape hasn't actually been a treble agent against Dumbledore (and instead a double agent working for him) surely we can assume that if Regulus Black, who we gather to have been nowhere as near to Dumbledore as Snape appears to be, it'd be stange for Snape not to have had more information on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

Sleepy wrote:
    But if we're to take the theory that Snape hasn't actually been a treble agent against Dumbledore (and instead a double agent working for him) surely we can assume that if Regulus Black, who we gather to have been nowhere as near to Dumbledore as Snape appears to be, it'd be stange for Snape not to have had more information on them?

could be that R.B. found out by accident, it doesn't seem Voldemort would let anybody in his confidence about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭punka

theCzar wrote:
    possibly

doesn't that make it more likely e.g.
    he'd know about the Horacruxes

yup, that was what i was getting at
    plus the fact that he was mentioned earlier on in the book. i can't imagine it's going to be a completely new character.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

They already said that
    Regulas Black is dead, but I did think it was odd that they mentioned him quite a few times

Rew wrote:
    They already said that
    Regulas Black is dead, but I did think it was odd that they mentioned him quite a few times
    there's no way to know when the horacrux in the cave was replaced, he could have died after

• Advertisement

theCzar wrote:
    there's no way to know when the horacrux in the cave was replaced, he could have died after

Good point and
    the note starts with "I know I will be dead long before your read this..." which I had also forgotten

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭carpothepunk

how u put the spoiler things?

how u put the spoiler things?

put [sp*iler] and [/sp*iler] around the text you want to, er, spoil.

except replace the *'s with o's, i had to use * to stop boards.ie from interpreting it as a spoiler

Had anyone else heard JK Rowling say that there was to be a big revelation about Lily Potter in THBP?
    Because aside from the fact she was good at potions
    we didn't really learn anything major about her...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

Sleepy wrote:
    Had anyone else heard JK Rowling say that there was to be a big revelation about Lily Potter in THBP?

No I didn't hear,
    but maybe she was talking about the new potions teacher liking towards her.

but you're right nothing of a big revelation evident

• Advertisement

Yeah, it's strange, I keep wondering did I miss something!? Because I definitely read it in an interview.
    I've read a theory on-line that perhaps there was something between Snape and Lily, the evidence would appear to be there but I can't imagine it would have been anything other than an unrequited love on Snape's part for the girl who was nice to him (you might remember she stuck up for him when James Potter was bullying him in one of the flashbacks in OOTP). Perhaps this is why Dumbledore is also so convinced of Snape's guilt over his part in the Potter's death and hence so trusting of him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭butters scotch

i finished it last night, i'm still a bit undecided tbh. it was good for the most part, answered some questions however i guessed half way through who the lastest victim was and kinda saw it coming. the romantic stuff was maybe just to lighten the book to younger readers? or to show that even in dark times love can be found etc. it annoyed me that jkr can drag out the hermione and ron thing! i know stupid but its just not subtle! i'm interested to see how jkr can finally finish the series and how the three of them will adapt to life outside hogwarts, and will it meet up to eager expectations. however if harry doesn't survive in the next book she'll probably have some very angry fan letters! i still think the order of the phoenix has been the best one so far.. but will still be looking forward to to the last installment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

I cannot believe I have to wait another two years for the conclusion, it's not fair

has anyone got predictions for where the final fight will take place? I had a talk with a friend earlier, I said Grimmauld Place because
    now that Dumbledore is dead, I don't know what will happen, he WAS the secret keeper, does that mean no-one else will ever be able to find the place, or that the spell is broken, meaning Voldemort will find it and seek his locket/horacrux
    however my friend said it will take place where James and Lilly met their match, I think that would be too obvious, and so far JKR has not been very obvious about how and where she is/has been taking the story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭butters scotch

the last fight will probably take in godric hollow where harry's parents lived thats where it all started, well when harry was being choosen by voldemort and all that jazz.. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭toxic_angel

isn't it mentioned in one of the books that Regulus Black wimped out and was killed in less than a month of turning away from the death eaters... I think it's at the start of TOOTP. Making it even more likely that RAB is Sirius's brother.

Its mentioned in this book

isn't it mentioned in one of the books that Regulus Black wimped out and was killed in less than a month of turning away from the death eaters... I think it's at the start of TOOTP. Making it even more likely that RAB is Sirius's brother.
    Yes but Regulus Black remains the only RB we've encountered in the books and it'd be unlike Rowling to introduce another new character to fill this role of RAB. There are a number of contributing factors to this theory:

The wording of the note in the locket, Voldemort is addressed as 'the Dark Lord' which indicates that this was the work of a Death Eater (which we know Regulus was).

Regulus's name had been removed from the Black family tapestry as he had 'disgraced' himself by turning on Voldemort. (Revealed in OOTP)

During the same tapestry scene there was a mention of an Uncle Alphard that Sirius was quite fond of. Could Alphard be Regulus's middle name?

Whoever RAB is, he/she says in the note that he/she expects to be dead before Voldemort finds out about what he/she has done. This would be consistent with Regulus being killed shortly after turning.

Finally, and most importantly, remember in OOTP that Kreacher was desperate to protect a silver locket from being thrown out when they were cleaning the house? None of the Order were able to open the locket at the time (and Dumbledore wasn't around to identify it's true nature: a horcrux). This would also explain why it was important to the plot to have Harry inherit Grimauld Place which may have seemed to have been passed over quite casually at the start of THBP but, knowing Rowling, it's inclusion wasn't for nothing. This was important to hand Harry the first of the remaining Horcruxes to destroy. He's quite a few to get through before he can kill Voldemort!

I'd bet my username on it, RAB is Regulus Alphard Black.

Sleepy wrote:

hmmm

Snape: Harry, I AM your father
    Harry: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

there's a lot of speculation that the reason Dumbledore placed so much faith in Snape was because he genuinely regretted his part in the Potters' murder because he was in love with Lily. Remember, during their time in Hogwarts, it was Lily who stopped James from bullying him. There's also the matter of Slughorn's commenting that she should have been in Slytherin, maybe it was Snape who helped her with her potions because from the previous books we know that her particular strength (or at least her wand's particular strength) was with charms?

Of course I'm sure any such love was unrequited and regardless, there are constant mentions of how much Harry looks likes James and there's the small matter of his Patronus as well ;)

theCzar wrote:
    hmmm

Snape: Harry, I AM your father
    Harry: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hee hee, that would be funny!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Does anyone know the reason why Draco was crying in the bathroom with Moaning Meartle

To show that he's redeemable, he doesn't actually have it in him to kill, Dumbledore knew this (as demonstrated in the last chapter) and Rowling needed to show the reader that Draco was doing it as a result of Voldemort's threat to kill him and his mother rather than any genuine evil. I get the feeling Draco may be redeemed in the last book somehow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 RobertOLeary

I think Snape is really on Dumbledore's side or at least not on Voldemorts. He loved Lily Potter and I think Voldemort promised him he would not kill her (hence asking her to move aside as opposed to just killing her, like James), when he did kill her it broke Snape's heart so he stopped believing in Voldemort. He probably then went over to Dumbledore, resenting Voldemort's actions.
    My next guess would be that he made an unbreakable vow with Dumbledore to protect Harry's life, thus Dumbledore being able to trust Severus completely as any deviation would kill Snape. Snape despises Harry as he is like his father but he never tries to kill him, he always tries to prevent others from killing Harry also.
    I think that Harry will kill Snape in the 7th book, but discover he was wrong and be devastated.

This is all conjecture of course though!!!

Good first post Robert, I have to admit I agree with you on all but the last point...

One thing
    Voldermort would never promise snape anything, its not his style. So his offer to save lilly was his own and TBH the offer for her to leave is a plot point to set up the protection oh Harry, she chose to stay and died for him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭flyz

My excuse for the padding:
    JK had to demonstrate that Harry has the one strength that Voldemort doesn't have, as the prophecy states, which is LOVE, hence all the mushy stuff with Ginny.

flyz wrote:
    My excuse for the padding:
    JK had to demonstrate that Harry has the one strength that Voldemort doesn't have, as the prophecy states, which is LOVE, hence all the mushy stuff with Ginny.

I was thinking that may be a major plot point in the final book.

I think that Harry will kill Snape in the 7th book, but discover he was wrong and be devastated.

I agree. Something along those lines is gonna happen,
    Snape is definitely gonna have a hard time, because nobody on the the good-side believes he is actually good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭flyz

Rew wrote:
    I was thinking that may be a major plot point in the final book.

Probably but the foundation had to be set in all previous books I think.
    It's been his weakness in the last few books but he's learnt how to deal with is in this book.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 name_less

Mordecai wrote:
    teenagers do not talk like that.
    teenagers don't do magic either.

fiction

Advertisement