Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Questions about combining DI-824VUP+, WMP54G and WAP54G

• 17-07-2005 10:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've had a wireless network for a few months and everything was going great, except that signal strenght around the house isn't always great.

Original setup
    ==========
    * EsatBT Zyxel router
    * WAP54G Access point [firmware 1.3]
    * Belkin switch to connect the two above
    * WMP54G card in my pc
    * 3 x DI-2100+ web cams
    * 2 x laptops
    * XDAII with SDIO WIFI card

Everything is fine. No major problems. The WMP54G is reporting pretty low signal strength but it's upstairs while the WAP54G is downstairs.

Because of the signal strength issue, I tried dabbeling into setting up another Access Point upstairs to boost the signal. I have a DI-824VUP+ [firmware 2.8] lying around doing nothing so decided to try that. I also want to use the routing and firewall capabilities of the DI824VUP+ instead of the Zyxel for obvious reasons.

Anyway, my new setup is the same as above, but I'm taking the belkin switch out of the equation as the dlink has 4 ports on it. I'm connecting the Dlink to the Zyxel and putting the WAP54G upstairs as a repeater or whatever.

This is where I have gotten so far.

The DI-824 is DHCP server with WI-FI configured for WEP. The WAP54G is CAT5'd into it for configuration.

When they are both setup...
    * My PC [WMP54G] will only see the WAP54G. Will NOT see the DLINK
    * My XDA sees both WI-FI spots
    * My Laptops see both WI-FI spots
    * The camera see both but generally auto connect to the DI-824

One of my main problems is that I cannot get the DI-824 and WAP54G to talk to each other over WI-FI. There are no configuration options in the DLink for this but in the WAP54G, I can configure it for AP Client, Repeater or Bridge. I have tried each configuration to no avail. I have tried both units to be the same SSID and different. I have tried them both on the same channel [6] and different [one 6 and the other 3 or something else.]

When I have the WAP54G configured to be anything other than a plain access point, my WMP54G doesn't se ANY wi-fi spots.

Now, in the configuration of the WAP54G, it says that if it's configured to be a repeater or bridge, etc, it can ONLY connect to another WAP54G or WRT54G. This doesn't bode well for inter connectivity. Is there any way around this?

The only way I can get everything nearly working is by configuring the DLINK and LINKSYS to be the same channel, same SSID ans same WEP key AND have the LINKSYS CAT5'd into the dlink. All my devices can see each other, regardless of which WI-FI they are connected to. This is no good as I don't want to run a 30 foot CAT 5 between access points. Sort of defeats the purpose.

Bear in mind, I don't have the Zyxel connected yet. I want to get the internals working before I throw the internet into the equation.

I suppose what I need to know is... Am I wasting my time. Should I dump what I have and get other hardware that isn't going to insist that I purchase all from the same vendor?

Are there any recommendations on what hardware to get. I will change everything except the the cameras and the Zyxel. I won't have EsatBT for long as IBB are coming to my area "soon" [fingers crossed].

Because of my troubles now, I am uncertain how to proceed, because if I but new wi-fi hardware, some of my devices may not connect. I might just be better off sticking with all DLINK.

Oh, one more point, if I do stick with DLINK, do they have any could routers [WAN, not DSL] that offer good VoIP [h.323] QOS and stateful packet inspection. The DI-604 worked for VoIP out of the box but the DI-824 gives one way audio.

I want a WI-FI access point downstairs and one upstairs and all devices connecting to it without too much hassle. That's it.

Thank you for reading this long one, and hope that someone can point me in the right direction.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

ive found the Dlinks to be the most unwilling to play fair with others.

if you can, try to use the same brand of gear. Komplett do some nice SMC gear that you could use.

Repeating a signal is messy, the ideal way to do it would be to run your 30ft cat5 TBH.

IIRC 4 channels overlap each other. So try to keep each AP 4 chanells apart.

What about a hi-gain antenna on your favourite router?

Advertisement