Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hi any courses

Options
  • 17-07-2005 11:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

hi i was wondering if there is any courses starting up that can teach me about spells and that,i know i kind of asked this already but i was reading back on an old post about barbara lee and i saw that tallesin said that she/he was thinking of setting up a course..i was just wondering if she is still going to do that and if not why not?i mean i dont think that i am the only one who would want to learn mor on paganism and spells.and from what i read before some people would have a problem paying money to learn about paganism,i for one dont share the same feeling and as long as the things i was learn were not like crap and relevant to paganism i would have no problem paying money to learn

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Barbara is most likely going to run another course next year. It's a good course, well run by a respected Craft elder, and as such we'll no doubt announce the fact here.
    sugardaddy wrote:
    from what i read before some people would have a problem paying money to learn about paganism
    There are some things that you should have a problem paying money to learn. For a start anything that's oathbound is not going to end up in a course or a book, anyone saying otherwise is either an oathbreaker or a liar (or sometimes both) and not to be trusted as far as you can spit them.
    Initiation is another big no-no. Anyone who says "after this course you will be a [insert title here]" is to be avoided. At best they're just bull****ting, at worse they actually do have lineage and power and are bringing major karmic **** down on all around them as they abuse and debase that.

Needless to say, Barbara's course is none of those, or I wouldn't recommend it. It's not even a for-profit operation (she pretty much covers her courses). I wouldn't necessarily frown on someone making a profit from that sort of material (some authors make money after all, though few make much), but I would be cautious in such a case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭sugardaddy

thanx for the reply,barbara e-mailed me alreadyand told me that the next course will probaly be next april,but i was just wondering if there is anything similar about and i still have to question why u didnt run a course,but thanx i look out for the frauds out there,thanx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

There is a really good comprehensive reading list to go with Barbra Lee's course.
    IT would be of benefit if you had read some of the stuff on it before you did it. You can even get some of the stuff on line to read.

ARADIAor the Gospel of the Witches
    by Charles G. Leland
    [1899]

http://www.sacred-texts.com/pag/aradia/index.htm

The Golden Bough by Sir James George Frazer
    [1922]

http://www.sacred-texts.com/pag/frazer/index.htm

The Witch-Cult in Western Europe by Margaret Alice Murray
    [1921]

http://www.sacred-texts.com/pag/wcwe/index.htm

If you are truely on the search for your way and your path then you have to
    go seek, you will not get handed what you need, you must go find what is ment for you.

sugardaddy wrote:
    thanx for the reply,barbara e-mailed me alreadyand told me that the next course will probaly be next april,but i was just wondering if there is anything similar about and i still have to question why u didnt run a course,but thanx i look out for the frauds out there,thanx

There is (imho) nothing like Barbra Lee's course out there,
    there is no one quite like her , she is a craft elder with a lot of years wisdom
    and some of that wisdom is who she accpets into the course.
    I am not her nor would I even think that I was in this matter her equal as she has been running these classes for a long time.
    For me to think about running something simular would be hugely disrespectfull to her and what she taught me when I did the course.

sugardaddy wrote:
    i still have to question why u didnt run a course
    Okay. That made me smile.

I don't think I would ever run a course like that, even if I got to a level of experience and knowledge comparable to what Barbara's was when she started running her course, I just don't see myself called to teach in that fashion.

Right now though, I'm nowhere near a point where I could even entertain the idea. Really, if I did do that I would be a fraud.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭rcunning03

Is there a website for this course ?

What you need to understand is that Wicca is NOT for sale. Wicca is an initiatory mystery religion. This means you need to be trained in it and initiated by someone who is already a part of Wicca. It requires a lot of hard work, time and dedication. It is a calling to serve and be a part of the Gods. So knowing the hard work and dedication it takes to learn Wicca, to be initiated into a mystery religion, how could it be for sale? How could you learn Wicca in a few easy lessons or by paying for printed text by some faceless name in an email over the internet? If that were the case, then only those with money could have spirituality. Wicca is not a race; there is no end goal that you need to accomplish. It should be learned and practiced with patience and love, not with credit cards.

http://www.witchvox.com/va/dt_va.html?a=usny&c=words&id=8625

rcunning03 wrote:
    No, it doesn't really need one given that it tends to reach capacity as it is through mainly word-of-mouth.

Which is a good thing, at least seekers have to seek a bit to find it. As I said, we'll most likely announce it in this forum if it runs again.

rcunning03 wrote:

not currently but the details of the last one were mentioned in a thread here.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=232382

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

If your interested in an online course www.druidschool.com runs one, though its Druidism and not Witch/wiccan.

From what I can tell, you'd be lucky do to Barbara's course, holding out til April will give you time to learn a bit more about your own path before entering a course. I'd even consider doing it myself just to get an insight, which is much of the reason I read Lora O'Briens book as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭sugardaddy

thanx i have to get hold of some books soon ,oh and just to ask out of curiosity do druids usually do spells or do they just usually just worship the earth and the gods and goddessès

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Thats the sort of question you need to find the answer to yourself.

However, I do know of a good pdf that illustrates the main differences, I'll go see if I can get it now. Hrm, it was hosted on a site, but it seems it is no longer there. Sorry. Search in google, you will get "witch bashing" and "druid bashing" a lot so use your common sense and dont take everything as a definite fact or truth.

Advertisement