Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless WAN

• 02-08-2001 3:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi,

Does anyone have info on a wireless WAN in Dublin ? How do you get started ? looking for websites/mailing list etc.

Ta,
    Kev

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Have a look around for dublin wan on google. There is an email list but it is very quiet. Lots of research into it has been done and at this stage, what is needed is people to start buying the stuff and connecting to each other.

have a look at www.consume.net for the english attempt.

Imagine if it kicked off though... A completely independant network spanning the entire city. Bloody cool !! Talk about communism in practice !

Gav

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 chaac

I found the Dublin Wan mailing list, seems quiet though. And from the archives it looks like nobody has it up and running.

Would be cool to get going though. I'd buy the equipment if someone else was in line of sight of me. Basically I'm living on Charlottes Quay and can see past Lansdowne Road if anyone is interested and in that direction.

Anyone else interested in getting something like this going ?

Kev

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Won't you need a Telecoms licence for that?

Kill, kill, kill the laser mice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 chaac

From my limited research on the subject you don't need a license if you transmit under a certain power limit.

But I'm open to correction on this.

Kev

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Aye, thats true, once the broadcast is below a certain frequency, it's free to do. I don't know the frequency or much about the whole radio thing, but certainly it's legal.
    ( under that certain freq. )

Gav

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭Sonic

here we have 2 gaffs in college court opposite sides of the road, we got a loan os a wavelan at, made in 1993 and it runs an 2.4 ghz. there is a base station thatyou plug into a hub and a full length isa card, both with arials. we have the base station in one house and a linux box with a the card in the other. one house is on one subnet the other house on another subnet. the linux boxes network card is one the same subnet as the house it is in and the wavelan card on our subnet and the base station plugged into our hub. with 2 simple routing protocols on the box it simpply routs tcpip traffice between one lan and the other , works sweet. its a 2mbit soloution and we get about 100k/s out of it. and its 2.4ghz so microwaves and car stereo's dont interfere with it. mad **** altogether

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Wapprofit swear its secure:

http://www.enn.ie/news.html?code=2433010

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 785 ✭✭✭zenith

Well, as long as Wapprofit say it is.

Plus, the hardware on their companion wireless networking site is a huge ripoff.

Advertisement