Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

i get 4.91mb/s on a 512k line how is this possible?

• 13-08-2001 8:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭

i got 4.91mbs/s on the 512k/s powernet service from chorus how is this possible?
    p.s i have screen shots 4 any 1 who doesnt belive me just cant figure out how 2 upload them.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭hudson806

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by irishguy:
    i got 4.91mbs/s on the 512k/s powernet service from chorus how is this possible?
    p.s i have screen shots 4 any 1 who doesnt belive me just cant figure out how 2 upload them.
    </font>

Powernet probably doesn't do bog all traffic shaping, as its only ATM to the base station. In short, you can pretty much take about as much bandwidth as there is available right now at your local base station.

Its all well and good now(in fact with so few peolpe using the service it would be pretty pointless to use traffic shaping), but if they don't start soon, you'll find your connection will suddenly slow down significantly every time aomeone else starts a download, the slowly pick up again (ie: it will be slightly erratic)

Thats all assuming it is traffic shaping related - it may well not be...

[This message has been edited by hudson806 (edited 13-08-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

What client software were you using when you experienced this rappid transfter rate. If for example you were downloading something, it could have had something to do with your cache on your machine. So that would result in a false reading.

I have a 56k dialup. But downloaded something there recently and the transfter rate was exponetially greater than what my service provided. It turned out that some of the stuff I was downloaded was still sitting in my browser cache and while it was retrieving that, it stated a massive transfer rate. This rate persisted until new binaries started to append to the original download fragment.

I wouldn't get your hopes up, unfortunately frown.gif

;-phobos-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

nope it wasnt in any cahce or proxy server i tryed 2 downloaded the same file 20secs later and i was only getting 40kb/s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

is 512k standard speed for Powernet?
    Also is it avaible widely? smile.gif

yup it is the standard.u can get it in limerick and cork [dublin soon] its wireless 40 quid a month 3gig d/l limit

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

ATM it is just available in limerick and I SOOOOO want it, cus its cheaper for a person like me who speends alot of time on the internet when at home, uer talking £30 a week on 1p a min dial up for me. BUT, and yes theres all ways a ****ing BUT, but atm irishguy and yankin are having problems with Chorus powernet and that is when they both join the same gaming server e.g baybridge CS server, one gets nice 60 ping and the other is complete lagged out, there is a topic down there further with loads of info no powernet. But for me atm it would be a waste getting this service if i was playing cs and another power user came on and it becomes unplayable. However if you dont play games, and just download then 512kbs is standard afaik for powernet and may prove very use full.

i have only played cs once so i cant comment on the slow down on it.and powernet is avalible in cork and i have had few probs in the last few months wit it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Has the Cork quadrant been opened? Seeing as you say

powernet is avalible in cork

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

No. I talked to them last week, and they said Dublin would be first.

adam

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dahamsta:
    No. I talked to them last week, and they said Dublin would be first.

adam
    </font>

typical.. thanks for the update anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭yankinlk

irish guy,
    what program were you using to tell you you had that huge download rate? I don't doubt you get a high one, as do I. but im curious if you are using a program to aid you in faster downloads such as get right or gozilla?

please please tell me you are not. the service is fast enough that we dont need to use these programs to open up maximum download by taking the same file three and four times (not sure how program works) at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

They split the file into n equally sized sections and one connection downloads each section. I'd still use a download manager as they give desirable functions such as stop and resume and protection against accidental stoppages.

Nice to see that powernet is coming on line too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by leeroybrown:
    Nice to see that powernet is coming on line too.</font>

*>FFffsfssssstttTTttttttt<*

[That's the ever-so pleasant sound of adam holding his breath for Powernet and DSL, and, well, dying.]

adam

i heard it was avalible in cork but i could b wrong.i was just using the windows download application.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by irishguy:
    i heard it was avalible in cork but i could b wrong.</font>

I'm sure if it was operational in Cork now we would have heard the excited screams from dahamsta's house long ago smile.gif

And when I do hear those screams, I'm off to harass some chorus engineers! smile.gif

Advertisement