Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Christianity and Muhammad

• 17-07-2005 7:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭

What is the teachings of the Christian Church on the Islamic Prophet Mohammad?

I understand that Islam recognises Jesus Christ as a prophet, as a teacher, but they do not accept the holy trinity or his resurrection. Read from here

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Ania

Jesus is very respected in the Muslim religion.
    But the Christian trinity has brought the muslims in a great confusion and misunderstanding:
    Muslims despise nothing more than polytheism or paganism and the Christian religion has elements of polytheism/ paganism, for instance:
    Muslims understand the holy trinity of God as the worship of 3 gods.
    Also the worship of the saints in Christian Catholic and Christian Orthodox religion makes the muslims think that Christians believe in polytheism.
    The Islam calls polytheists/ (and) paganists 'the nonbelievers' and as they see Christianity being very close to paganism, many of them unfortunally see the reason for Jihad against the Christians, i.e. the holy war against the nonbelievers but they ignore the fact that their holy book, the Koran, strongly admires the founder of Christianity, Jesus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

thanks for ignoring my question

thanks for ignoring my question
    You're welcome.
    Muhammad lived 600 years after Christ, so there is no basic answer to your question.

Contraceptive Pills came out 2000 years after Christ's Death, does the Christian Church not have a view on contraception?

Not only contraception pills, contraception in general, which exist since the Roman times... leather condoms!

• Advertisement

so you still maintain that anything that happened within the last 1800 years is outside the realm of Christian teaching?
    Catechisms?
    Canon law?
    Declaration of the Vatican council.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

1. The is no such thing as the Christian Church. I presume you mean the Roman Catholic Church or the Christian community in general.

2. Many Christians have studied the Qur'an and Sunnah. Some study them so they can debunk them and others study them to see if they can find truth in them or connect christianity to them.

3. As far as Mohammed being a prophet of the God of the bible ... The RCC reject him as a prophet. If they accepted him as a prophet of some kind then you would been exposed to his story or message in some way by the RCC. (That is if you are a catholic ofc)

The is no such thing as the Christian Church.

Yeah whatever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Yeah whatever.

such a constructive post ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Contraceptive Pills came out 2000 years after Christ's Death, does the Christian Church not have a view on contraception?

You're assuming there's an entity called "the Christian Church". There isn't. If you mean the Catholic Church, I'm moderately certain Muhammad is not recognised as a prophet; same as Judaism. If you mean some other Christian church, their views are very probably similar; Islam emerged long before the major schisms.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭punka

Bit pointless replying to this seeing as Kev's now banned, but I had the Catechism to hand so I figured I'd quote the relevant passage for anyone who's interested:
    841 The Church's relationship with the Muslims The plan of salvation also includes those who acknowledge the Creator, in the first place amongst whom are the Muslims; these profess to hold the faith of Abraham, and together with us they adore the one, merciful God, mankind's judge on the last day.
    So now you know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

rsynnott wrote:
    I'm moderately certain Muhammad is not recognised as a prophet.
    How are you certian of this?

What Islam says:

That Allah (arabic for God) is one and that Muhammad is His messenger.

one is where Christianity and Islam differ.. christianity says that god is 3.

Belief in Islam means

Belief in One God
    belief in all of God's messengers
    belief in all the books sent down to prophets of God. These books include Torah and Gospel. Only the Holy Quran exists in its original form, however.
    belief in the existence of angels
    belief in the Day of Judgement, Life after Death, Heaven and Hell.
    belief in the Divine Decree or Predestination, its good and its bad.

Thank you.

Shrimp wrote:
    How are you certian of this?

Sorry, I meant by the Roman Catholic Church. Obviously he is recognised as a prophet by Islam, and also Bahá'í, among others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭madfistbt

As a Christian I endevour to rejoice with the messengers and gods of all faiths, now ok Ill agree this isnt the churchs teachings for which one IS A SIN, but fair enough to say break one rule to live a more enriched life. I also think that women should be allowed to be priests as it doesnt matter what sex you are, and I really think that gay marriages should not be allowed in front of children. Why? The chuch disagrees with it and I will listen to the path Jesus wants me to take

madfistbt wrote:
    I also think that women should be allowed to be priests as it doesnt matter what sex you are, and I really think that gay marriages should not be allowed in front of children. Why? The chuch disagrees with it and I will listen to the path Jesus wants me to take

Gay marriages in front of children? Why not? In case it causes gayness in the children? Because the concept of one man loving another man or one woman loving another woman is somehow inherently obscene? How odd. You realise that this would be civil marriage, and not church marriage, right? Churches would be free to marry gay people (at least the Unitarians and some Jewish Reform branches are happy enough about this) but they certainly wouldn't be compelled to do so. And why do you believe the church is wrong about women but right about gay people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭madfistbt

rsynnott wrote:
    Gay marriages in front of children? Why not? In case it causes gayness in the children? Because the concept of one man loving another man or one woman loving another woman is somehow inherently obscene? How odd. You realise that this would be civil marriage, and not church marriage, right? Churches would be free to marry gay people (at least the Unitarians and some Jewish Reform branches are happy enough about this) but they certainly wouldn't be compelled to do so. And why do you believe the church is wrong about women but right about gay people?

Ye, actually you changed my mind, but I still have a feeling in the back of my mind that it is not right mainly because I am totally new to the idea. As a christian I feel it is essential to listen to the views of people like you and digest then in a workmanship way to give me a better sence of peace with ones slf. I am wholeheartdly sorry If I as a person have offended you my fellow guardian

madfistbt wrote:
    Ye, actually you changed my mind, but I still have a feeling in the back of my mind that it is not right mainly because I am totally new to the idea. As a christian I feel it is essential to listen to the views of people like you and digest then in a workmanship way to give me a better sence of peace with ones slf. I am wholeheartdly sorry If I as a person have offended you my fellow guardian

No, I'm not offended, or a left-wing newspaper. It is essential, and your duty as a thinking human, to think rationally rather than emotionally about such issues.

Advertisement