Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The phrase 'Spelling Bee'.

• 17-07-2005 9:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭

Does anybody know the origins of the phrase 'spelling bee'? It's has been slowly killing me all day and I'm reaching out to you for help. Google has shed no light on my problem as of yet. It's become such an issue that I may have to repost in personal issues before the day is out. :D

Thanking you in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

If you search in google groups - particularly alt.usage.english - it seems "bee" meant a meeting of a group of people, such as - in this case - to spell out items.

Or it seems it may be down to the fact that, when learning how to spell words, children had to sound out the word to figure its spelling - "bee" being the sounding out for the letter 'B'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Thank you very much Ixoy. That site is new to me and very useful. Thank you again for the reply.

Advertisement