Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Homenetworking

• 01-08-2001 7:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

I am planning on makeing a lil ol network of my own at home,3 computer,1 windows nt one on (I havnt decided yet,going for linux) and a laptop on nt.My question araises when I want to connect to the net,Which machine shall I use as the net port.I wanna use linux,but can I hook up a isdn line to that and use the currant tcp connection between them and use this on the nt box as well?

[This message has been edited by AzReAl (edited 01-08-2001).]

[This message has been edited by AzReAl (edited 01-08-2001).]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Yes.

Hail To The King, Baby.

Jaden.
    Mail: jaden@eircom.net

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Renton

You can and probably should use the linux box for it, I know that its DEFO possible, however I have no idea how. Ask logic1 on the unix board mabye

RentZ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Aye, using linux as you firewall/router is the best bet. Basicaly you install linux on the machine, get it connecting to the internet with the ISDN Terminal Adaptor, then enable either a proxy, NAT, or both on the linux machine.

NAT basicly will allow all your machines on the LAN to connect to the internet. Have a look at netsoc.ucd.ie/LDP . Go to the howtos section and look in the networking category, you should see everything you need there.
    NAT is also know as IP masquerading by linux.

Ask around on the unix board for more info about linux. You will need to pick a distribution, unless you already have. I use redhat at home and debian in work. Just get a copy of the one most easily available. When you get used to it you can start messing around with the diffierent ones.

Gav

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 AzReAl

I got mandrake but I hate it.I dislike the tacky gui's.I am trying to get used to the windows sys,But never used command line b4.I have been thinking of puting on unix but its a big step for a win kiddy like me

Well, obviously enough, the only way to learn is to do it, but if you aren't to interested in the whole linux route, then have you can use winNT on one of the machines as the gateway.

NT doesn't have built in NAT, but you can get programs to do it. Nat32 is one someone keeps mentioning here, search on google for it. Also NT has basic port blocking on it, so that should be sufficient for security.

Gav

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 AzReAl

Well I got the network running,now to realise I wasted money because I already had two ethernet cars running around my pci sockets.*hangs head* Got to config linux now and verb I didnt mean to say I hated mandrake,I ment knome and kde,the worst gui's.Ewwwww.Would it be possable to network in linux if it has been partinioned on one of the hard drives?I want to get all 3 oses running in sync,and oh,I cant get the second computer to access the net through the other,what to do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Chaos-Engine

To avoid problems of all kinds
    Security and Compatability and the fact u got to have the ISDN machine on to access the net. I would suggest u get a Router/Hub compo in your network..

goto netgear.com and search product RT314... that is an excellent value for money router... it is reasonably secure to script kiddies also. The only problem w/ that router is alot of games can't make it pasted teh router... if u want to be able to play games get there RT311 router but u need a hub for that also... Good luck...

P.S. I want to run Win 98, Win 2000 and Linux on the one machine... what Linux should i use and how do i do it?

"Information is Ammunition"
    Choas Engine
    Email: choas@netshop.ie

If you are running Linux dual boot on your machine, then yeah you can network all your machines.

Configuring the network from the commandline isn't very hard, only slightly complicated part is compiling support for your network card into the kernel but most out of the box distributions have support for the most common cards.

as i said above
    http://netsoc.ucd.ue/LDP is the place to look. Oooodles of information and lots of help.

As for the GUI, any distribution you get, you can install a different window manager on it. Afterstep, Windowmaker, Ice Windowmaker are a couple. Afterstep is pretty much the same as windowmaker as I recall. But they are nice.

Chaos, have a look at the howtos website as well. I think that there is a mini howto on installing win 95, nt and Linux which should be what u want.

Gav

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭Chief

Sort of on the same topic guys, im on a network of about 20 machines, but i only want 3 machines to access the net, 2 machines are win98 and one machine is win2k, the win2k machine is hooked to an isdn line. basically i want the win2k machine to act as a proxy server and the other 2 win98 machines to use it for its net connect. Also if the net is not connected, when one of the win98 trys to get a web page, the win2k machine will dial the connection automatically for it. I dont want to allow other machines on the network access so is it possible to make it IP specific for the use of the net? Any ideas of what software to use for these purposes?
    All help greatly appreciated laeds!

cheers! smile.gif

"LOSE me.. Hate me.. SMASH me..
    ERASE me.. KILL me.."

nine inch nails - eraser

|Chief|...

What software are you using as a proxy ?
    Wingate is the only windows proxy I have used, and it has the option to ban/allow certain ip's.

I don't have win2000 near me at the mo, but there might be an option to block access from certain ips to certain ports. So you could just ban all ip's except the 2 win98 machines access to the port the proxy is running on.

Gav

• Advertisement

The thing about it is that i dont have proxy software yet, suggestions is what i need, basically something that will allow mail, ftp and http access, and will dial a connection when one of the win98 machines needs it. Will wingate do all that?
    cheers for the help! smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭stu_69

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Verb:

as i said above
    http://netsoc.ucd.ue/LDP is the place to look. Oooodles of information and lots of help.
    Gav
    </font>

Whats the proper url for this as it does not seem to be working smile.gif
    Cheers

I am Jacks complete lack of surprise

http://www.netsoc.ucd.ie/LDP/ smile.gif

ERASE me.. KILL me.."

nine inch nails - eraser

|Chief|...

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Chief:
    The thing about it is that i dont have proxy software yet, suggestions is what i need, basically something that will allow mail, ftp and http access, and will dial a connection when one of the win98 machines needs it. Will wingate do all that?
    cheers for the help! smile.gif

</font>

Wingate has support for all that yeah, though i didn't get email working when i last used it. But it has support for it, it was just me that couldn't get it working smile.gif

I'm sure there are freeware solutions around though, Wingate is expensive enough. What about this connection sharing lark in win 2000 ? I've never used it, but it might do the trick.

Thanks for correcting the link btw smile.gif

Gav

_|4D3N m8!
    Perfect! That Sambar did the trick smile.gif
    Cheers for all the help laeds! STARS! smile.gif

ERASE me.. KILL me.."

nine inch nails - eraser

|Chief|...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭stu_69

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Chief:
    http://www.netsoc.ucd.ie/LDP/ smile.gif

</font>
    Thanks for that biggrin.gif

Try:
    www.sambar.com

Tried and trusted.

Hail To The King, Baby.

Jaden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I'm trying to share my measily 28.8 connection between this PC and my other one.
    The LAN works perfectly.
    I've installed the ICS "protocall" (kinda is tho) on this one
    I've set the other one to connect to the internet using the LAN and this machine's (the one connected to the modem) IP as the gateway. I have not used the ICS disk.
    I'm connecting using Oceanfree.
    This thing is not working at all.
    I've used Winroute before and its ******.
    I don't use DCHP or any other crap, just straight TCP/IP and IPX.
    This is really wreacking my head.

Use Sambar, see post above.

Hail To The King, Baby.

Jaden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I had a look at the site but couldn't make head nor tale of it.
    I don't think I need a proxy server.

Beware the power of a well trained mob
    Hobbes - Ooohh Shinji ;) I would accuse you of Equestrian necrophilia but I would just be flogging a dead horse

• Advertisement
Advertisement