Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grafenwalder: Lidl alcohol query

Options
  • 17-07-2005 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭

Today while shopping in lidl in Germany I stumbled across GrafenWalder pils beer for sale. This is the same 500ml can of beer that they sell in Ireland.It costs €0.19 cent here, €1.15 in Ireland.What a difference!

A 700ml bottle of generic Vodka costs €4.99 in all the supermarkets here.The same costs around €16 ? in Ireland.

Is this profiteering in Ireland or can alcohol tax really account for so much ? Anyone have any idea ? I realise that the German market is 80 million strong compared to the Irish 4 million and alcohol taxes in Ireland are much higher but can they really be this high ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Alcohol tax would be a lot of it, but then think how much rents are for Lidl in Ireland, probably a hell of a lot more than in Germany.

Then there's the cost of exporting all their produce to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

DannyD wrote:
    Is this profiteering in Ireland or can alcohol tax really account for so much ?
    It doesn't account for that much of a difference.

A regular 330ml bottle of 4.3% beer carries excise of about 29 cents.

Assuming it's strong 6% beer you've got there in your 500ml can, it carries excise of about 60 cents.

I've little idea of German rates. I believe their rates are about a tenth of ours on beer.

There's a VAT percentage difference of 5 percentage points which accounts for an additional 4.2% price difference (121/116)

Doesn't make up your difference.

You can read all about our rates here. There's a separate document for microbreweries as they got a rate cut this year.

I'm too lazy to work out the difference for vodka so the document linked will help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

When I was in Germany a year ago I did a lot of my shopping in a WallMart(not as cheap as Lidl) and was able to pick up 8x500ml cans of Becks for around €4.....probable 3 times that here....mabye 4 times!!!
    Now that was Bremen where Becks is produced.....why is it then that Murphys/Guinness isnt cheapish in Ireland?....because we are blind idiots when it comes to paying....we just pull the notes out/get our change/bitch and moan about getting ripped off but never do anything about it!

I realise that the taxes are differnt and such....but pure greed drives up the prices in Ireland.
    Once the shop is greedy...rents rise....etc leading to far more expensive products.
    A friend of mine was in Portugal recently and he nearly cried when comparing prices!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

A supermarket beside the hotel I stayed in in Munich was selling cases of 20 half litres of weis bier for....8.50!!! Yes, Eight Euro Fifty Cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

If every one in Ireland was to stop drinking tomorrow our economy would colapse! But that will never happen so the Goverment know they are on a safe bet taxing alco as high as they like.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

My girlfreind brough home a car from Germany a month ago and filled it full of drink. Including 4 crate's of beer (good stuff) , cost about E40 for 80 500ml bottles. It will keep us going for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

Totally true, you can get other beer for 25 cent in Germany for a 500ml can... But these days you have to pay for "Pfand" as well, which costs 25cent per can or bottle. You get that money back when you return the can or bottle to where you bought it from...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Totally true, you can get other beer for 25 cent in Germany for a 500ml can... But these days you have to pay for "Pfand" as well, which costs 25cent per can or bottle. You get that money back when you return the can or bottle to where you bought it from...

If that was brought in here we would have alot less broken bottles littering our common area's on a monday morning and alot more glass for the county council to recycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Between tax and transport it makes up the difference in the price. A friend of mine looked into exporting cheap austrian beer (about 8€ for a slab of 24) to Ireland. After tax, which was something like 7€ a slab, and transport (calculated as a full artic load - couple of thousand slabs) it worked out at 22€ a slab. That's before any profit gets added on by publican/off-licence. Makes you wonder how much it costs to buy/produce Dutch Gold! :D

Advertisement