Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help moving to new home

• 17-07-2005 11:03pm
    Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭
    byte

Hi, I'll be moving to Letterkenny very soon hopefully, so I need a bit of advice.

I HOPE to be able to get broadband.
    The house I intend to rent has a phoneline, but it was set up by a previous resident, not the landlady, and she doesn't know the number. Will Eircom give me the number?

Of course, I have to enable the line to find out if it'll pass DSL test (I already tried the line of the guy next door, and his passed).

Once I sign up with Eircom for line rental, do I need to sign paperwork first or whatever? Or can they activate the line immediately?

After line is active, I need to test, and assuming it passes, I intend to use BT Broadband with line rental for €49 or whatever it is. How long would it take for me to port over to BT and have broadband up and running? I need as little downtime as humanly possible!

Finally, does anyone know how much it costs to disable ISDN at the moment, as I will be moving?

Thanks in advance for any help! ;)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

plug a phone in over there and dial 199000 to get the old number 'spoken back' and then check the line database for it.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Sponge Bob wrote:
    plug a phone in over there and dial 199000 to get the old number 'spoken back' and then check the line database for it.
    Yes, but the line is currently inactive so a DSL test is not gonna work :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

is it silent or does it have soft dialtone , did you plug a phone in to it and listen ?

byte

Sponge Bob wrote:
    is it silent or does it have soft dialtone , did you plug a phone in to it and listen ?
    I'm not sure tbh. We only were viewing the house, and the landlady said the line was inactive. There were no phones, just the sockets. Maybe I'll try 1901 tomorrow and see what they say. I'll not be viewing that house again until possibly Wednesday when I hope to get the keys.

byte

Just to update:
    I rang 1901 and after that annoying voice recognition thing that said "Sorry I am afraid I don't understand you" after I coughed, I got through to a CSR, told her the address, and she asked my name. That was it! She then gave me the phone number, but told me it'd take 10 days to get my Eircom account number (she also tested my line for BB and said it passed, it also passed when I tried online though she said no BB for at least a week)

I can't switch to BT until I get my Eircom account number, and after that, BT rep said it'd take up to 15 working days to get all up and running, though I see people on this board waiting up to 6 weeks! By that time, my line will probably be pairgained! :(

Why must everything run so slowly? I took a quick notion that maybe it'd be handier and quicker to go with Eircom's BB offering, but at 54.95EUR excluding Line rental, I decided against.

So, I'll have to buy a 56k modem to tide me over.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Yeah eircoms 2Mbit at €54 is an absolute joke.
    Add line rental and you get just under €80 a month compared to BT2Mbit+Line Rental of €50!!!
    Lets not even talk of the CAP difference!!!

Insanity!!!

byte

Heh, yeah. I was thinking the same.

All I need to worry about now is cancelling my IOL No Limits (I must be near the last of few people still using that service!). :)

Advertisement