Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[RIP] Sir Edward Heath

Options
  • 17-07-2005 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2005/0717/heath.html
    For British PM Heath dies at 89
    17 July 2005 22:31

The former British Prime Minister Sir Edward Heath has died. He was 89.

A leader of the Conservative Party, Mr Heath died this evening at his home in Salisbury in Southern England, surrounded by family and friends.

While his greatest achievement was to lead Britain into the EEC - the fore-runner of the European Union, Ted Heath will be remembered in this country for the failed Sunningdale Agreement.

He once said that the Northern troubles were none of Dublin's business.

However, he came to believe that the way forward lay in power-sharing, which was introduced under the Sunningdale Agreement.

The agreement collapsed in the face of Unionist opposition, and a massive strike.

Two years ago Mr Heath denied allegations that he had prior knowledge of the events on Bloody Sunday in 1972, when British paratroopers shot dead 13 unarmed civilians.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭hill16

He was also responsible for internment in 1971. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

He locked up some terrorists? How dreadful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭tomMK1

pity he missed most of the 'terrorists' and abused and locked up a lot of innocent people instead then.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I could put this diplomatically but I'll put it bluntly instead. You idiots have enough relevant threads to pop your one-liners into without tearing this one there as well. If that means there aren't any more posts in this thread I can live with that. If anyone has anything to post that I'm likely to class as relatively intelligent, they can feel free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭pdh

No loss, just need that butcher Thatcher off the face of the Earth, but I guess the Devil does not have a hot enough place for her yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

pdh wrote:
    No loss, just need that butcher Thatcher off the face of the Earth, but I guess the Devil does not have a hot enough place for her yet
    I really have to assume that you didn't miss the warning I put in the thread before you posted. Take a week outside the tent for soundly ignoring it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement