Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oh Dear God........!

• 17-07-2005 11:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

The Dubliner has the "favoutite Irish film of all time" as voted by thier readers, some 10,000 apparently.

The top filum is...."The Bleedin' Commitments!

Me sighs....I can't locate the top 10 on the web but I think My Left Foot was No 2 and Name of the Father no 3, with stuff like Michael Collins, In America and Intermission also in the mix I think.

The Commitments....I cant belive it.

Mike.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

Oh god , that film was terrible!I absolutely hated it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

1. The Commitments
    2. My Left Foot
    3. In the Name of the Father
    4. The Quiet Man
    5. The Snapper
    6. Michael Collins
    7. The Field
    8. Intermission
    9. Veronica Guerin
    10. Inside I'm Dancing
    Source

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,066 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Irish films in general are so terribley depressing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

What!? No mention of I Went Down? Possibly the only Irish movie that you can really call great.

Ireland has been exporting some amazingly talented actors for ages now, so why the hell can't we make a decent movie!? It's pitifull.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

spin the bottle was savage craic... the actors that are any use want to go to america or the uk or whatever to make money rather than the only perk bein people mutterin on the side of the street 'dats ur maan frum tha bledin filum..whas 'is face'...i'd rather not be know

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Well, first off, I loved The Commitments. Thought Parker did a really good job translating it to the big screen. But...

Having Michael Collins, Veronica Guerin and InterMission in the Top10 ahead of films like I Went Down is criminal. Although having said that I can't think of another choice other than I Went Down, so I guess that explains the relative paucity of classics in the Top10. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

1. My Left Foot
    2. The Commitments
    3. In the Name of the Father
    4. I went down
    5. Michael Collins
    6. The Snapper

for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

Butcher Boy.....Butcher Boy......Butcher Boy!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭garred

The Snapper...."Good girl Shardon, that wasy A1"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I like 'The Actors'

It's not much of a film... as it has a pretty stupid plot... but it's very funny.

Too bad about the horrible child actress in it.. she really ruined alot of the film for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭bullrunner

What about 'Man about Dog'? I thought that was one of the funniest Irish films of the past god knows how long!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Fortunately I've never seen the committments, I hated those damn songs on the radio so much when it was out so I have no intention of ever seeing it.

My top Irish movies would be:
    Michael Collins - 'cause he's da man
    Intermission - Colin Farrell as a scumbag? Not much acting required there then ;)
    The Snapper - Colm Meaney, brilliant.
    Veronica Guerin - I just liked this film.

Was About Adam an Irish film or just set in Ireland and with Irish actors? I thought that was pretty funny. "You shag my girlfriend and turn me into a homosexual you b*stard" :D I'd put that next in the list I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭reece

I liked the snapper, spin the bottle, this is my father, intermission.

the thing that bugs me though is when some Irish magazine or newspaper runs an article

'The committments where are they now'. It was a film damn-it ...they're
    actors !!!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭StonedParadoX

wow i havent replied to this topic yet i must be slacking

inside im dancing is wow i went in high which wasnt a good idea but HEY! ****in brilliant man my mates hated it

The butcher boy ..! stupid extra vision and not having it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

I thought intermission and veronica gueiran were diabolical films. But I have to agree with tusky, for some reason I find Irish films terribly depressing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Darby O'Gill And The Little People tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭StonedParadoX

heh depressing as in sad or bad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Intermission was terrible and unoriginal.
    The Commitments was good though. That's a little depressing though, with everyone being so poor back then and on the dole.
    Well, it's not that depressing, really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

jor el wrote:
    Was About Adam an Irish film or just set in Ireland and with Irish actors? I thought that was pretty funny. "You shag my girlfriend and turn me into a homosexual you b*stard" :D I'd put that next in the list I guess.

Well, my mate :) Gerry Stembridge directed it, so I'm guessin it's an Irish film! And he's an Irish director, ya can't say that about Alan "Commitments" Parker, who is from North London. About Adam is a pretty good film though, I'll grant you. Yeah, maybe it should be on the list.

Advertisement