Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Women Drivers..Sorry mental drivers

Options
  • 18-07-2005 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

This is going to go down a treat but its something that can be laughed at...well not really.

While driving through Dundalk Town on Saturday two cars nearly crashed into me. I couldnt believe it.

The first was a Vectra approaching what it was for her was a T junction, I had her in the corner of my eye thinking that she was approachin very fast, i braked hard when i noticed she was looking at another woman walking along the footpath, then she braked as well, near miss number one.

No more than 100 yards down the road, another woman in a Avenius pulled straight out of a parking place right infront of me no indicators or nothing and nearly hitting me and the car coming towards her as she put the nose of the car to far out.

Arrived into work Sunday morning to hear of the news that my managers new VW Golf had been totaled in the rear by a woman driving a Jeep who rear ended my boss as she was turning into her house. The ole sun in my eyes excuse.

A couple of weeks ago on the East link bypass in dundalk i saw a Fiesta in the back of a 206, guess what another woman driver.

All i ever see women drivers do while driving is talk to their phones, look at themselves in the mirror.

Dont get me wrong there's lads out there that are just as bad but i wonder how many women out there actually drive under their own insurance policy. I think it times for men drivers premiums to come down to meet the womens, If in theory we drive as well as they do then Insurance Premiums should be the same.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

kluivert wrote:
    If in theory we drive as well as they do then Insurance Premiums should be the same.
    Apparantly men have less accidents but more serious ones; i.e. bigger payouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that in general women's ability to anticipate the movement of other drivers is about half that of men, in general. For example, more often than not, a woman will slow down and stop when a driver in front of them indicates right, and will leave themselves in a position that they are unable to undertake and are left waiting. A man however, will usually spot the right indication, slow down, and almost immediately prepare to undertake. Women in general are also atrocious at observation, which is probably part of the poor anticipation problem.

I will say though that men's anticipation is probably part of the reason why their accidents are more serious, as they are probably more prone to rash decisions, whereas poor observation/anticipation is more likely to just lead to minor accidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,041 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Well nuts to youz cos i get cheaper insurance!!!!.....and I think I'm a pretty good bike driver too - no accidents etc but I don't think that counts cos you're talking abt cars!! The amount of times I've had some bimbo cut me off and then wave at me to say thanks?!?!?!? I think some women think they have a certain amount of grace on the roads because they're women...if that makes any sense....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Before this turns into an all out argument, I have to say I agree with what you lot are saying. Women drivers seem to be more interested in whats going on around the car instead of concentrating on whats in front of them.
    Its really annoying to see this behaviour but more importantly, extremely dangerous.

Women drivers spatial awareness is also bordering on riduclous sometimes.
    Seen a women driver trying to park a micra the other, you'd swear she was driving a double decker bus.

Before the lambasting begins, I'm not saying men are perfect drivers, just making a point.

tk123 wrote:
    Well nuts to youz cos i get cheaper insurance!!!!.....and I think I'm a pretty good bike driver too - no accidents etc but I don't think that counts cos you're talking abt cars!! The amount of times I've had some bimbo cut me off and then wave at me to say thanks?!?!?!? I think some women think they have a certain amount of grace on the roads because they're women...if that makes any sense....
    If you're a woman who can survive on a bike, then we're definitely not talking about you :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,041 ✭✭✭✭tk123

seamus wrote:
    If you're a woman who can survive on a bike, then we're definitely not talking about you :)

YAaaaaaaaaaY!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

Oh I love threads like this. Yea women drivers are awful, especially middle aged ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭thatkindofgirl

Guess it really burns you that my insurance is about 700/year for my first year EVER insured on a provisional licence in my own car.

Men are reckless and cocky drivers, and almost every person I see on their phones in their cars are men. Texting, talking, whatever -- because they think they can and drive at the same time.

...and the uninsured a--hole that screwed up my back forever by driving into the back of my stopped car at 60mph? Yes, a man.

There's a reason you pay loads in insurance lads, and it's no secret.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

One of these days we'll get a chick in here that can discuss the subject logically, instead of getting all emotional...

...f*ck, what am I talking about...

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 neilCC

There are lots of terrible drivers out there and gender has nothing to do with it.

There are lots of young men out there who think they're great drivers. Maybe they are, but the streets are not the place to demonstate their terrific skills. And the car they're driving most likely isn't a super performance vehicle that can handle high speeds and fast cornering like cars in some video games can.

The main problem I've experienced with women drivers is often that their spatial awareness is lacking compared to that of men. It has been said here already, a woman trying to park a mini in a space the size of a bus, slowing and stopping instead of taking the opportunity to proceed that was clearly there. Moving two car widths out to the right to overtake a parked car. And similar problems related to speed and speed assesment - like how fast is that car coming towards me, do I have time to pull out saftely?

Obviously, all this is only general and there are lots of men out there who aren't stupid speed freaks taking crazy risks at every chance and there are lots of women out there who are more skilled than the average male driver.

In my own experience of Dublin roads, I've had more close calls and near misses with women that I have with men, although the person who broke my leg was a male :) I know girls who cheerfully admit that they're terrible drivers who shouldn't be on the road, but with a giggle and a smile off they go on their merry way.

It is all down to training. Provisional drivers shouldn't be let loose on the streets. The test itself is a joke that proves nothing. If the Gov is serious about reducing the number of collisions and specifically Fatal collisions, then they should invest heavily once and for all in the driving test system here to bring in extensive training and testing for all road users. Independantly operated speed cameras and speed bumps etc are all useful in their own way, but none of that is actually going to make anyone a better driver with better road awareness and the skills to be able to handle difficult driving situations or conditions.

The last poster mentioned mobiles. I'm a biker and I control my vehicle with two hands. Every day I see dozens of car drivers on their phones and I see it equally with men and women. I regularly see women attempting to apply some eye makeup while moving! I saw one guy the other day, on the phone, while gesticulating with his other hand - no hands on any car control!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Boggle

I have a theory...(not a good theory but...)

many of the older ladies I see driving started driving later on in their lives (based on my own family and friends) and I would imagine that this would be why some things like their anticipation, spatial awareness is relatively poor (harder to learn things when you get older). It would explain why they drive slower too - cos they are more afraid of their car.

These problems do not seem to apply to any larger degree to women who learn at a younger age though and what I do notice is that they tend to be a "nutty" as any bloke behind a wheel - and appear to be getting even nuttier as they develop a culture of self reliance(i.e. drive themselves rather than getting a lift).

Basically, what I am saying is that given a few(10 or 20) years you'll see things even out...

(removing tin-foil hat now)

Don't forget the test amnesty. My mother got her licence that way and she's still on the road, there's probably plenty more.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭thatkindofgirl

dahamsta wrote:
    One of these days we'll get a chick in here that can discuss the subject logically, instead of getting all emotional...

adam

Christ, you thought this was a logical discussion before I joined? Are you crazy? Did you even read the comments these guys are passing off as some sort of established fact?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

dahamsta wrote:

adam

I think the problem is that anyone that would be interested in discussing it logically isn't going to come on this board, especially with attitudes like yours. It'll go round in circles all day, doesn't go anywhere. There are some very negative attitudes from some people towards women and women drivers off the bat, that doesn't make for a very good "logical" discussion IMHO.

A lot of women are bad drivers, but a lot of men are bad drivers too. I don't think it's limited to one gender or another. I think I'm a good driver (people that have been in the car with me agree), and I have been in cars with men that I would consider very unsafe drivers (tailgating, accelerating and breaking too sharply, not indicating, driving too fast/aggressively). That does not mean I would brand all men as unsafe drivers.

Christ, you thought this was a logical discussion before I joined? Are you crazy? Did you even read the comments these guys are passing off as some sort of established fact?
    Rather, people are using words like "it seems" and "I think", and you're hopping on them as if they're passing it off as actual fact.

How about you counter, instead of using the misnomer that lower insurance for women = better drivers?

koneko wrote:
    I think the problem is that anyone that would be interested in discussing it logically isn't going to come on this board, especially with attitudes like yours.
    You've been a member here almost as long as I have koneko, if you can't recognise a dog-obvious troll intended as humour, you should just give up now.
    You mean like when seamus said "in general"? Twice in the same sentence, belt and braces, because he knew he'd need the extra support?

Turn down the gain darlings, you're embarassing yourselves.

adam

dahamsta wrote:
    You've been a member here almost as long as I have koneko, if you can't recognise a dog-obvious troll intended as humour, you should just give up now.

Hard to tell with you sometimes adam, because you're just so damn angry all the time :p (and it wasn't very funny)

thatkindofgirl didn't make a very good point, but there's no need to be patronising towards her.
    Oh gee sorry didn't spot the edit, both of us then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

seamus wrote:
    Rather, people are using words like "it seems" and "I think", and you're hopping on them as if they're passing it off as actual fact.

How about you counter, instead of using the misnomer that lower insurance for women = better drivers?

Well said.

koneko wrote:
    Hard to tell with you sometimes adam, because you're just so damn angry all the time
    Common misperception koneko. Forthright != Angry.
    (and it wasn't very funny)
    True, it wasn't up to my usual standard.
    thatkindofgirl didn't make a very good point, but there's no need to be patronising towards her.
    Well, logic didn't seem to be paying off.
    Oh gee sorry didn't spot the edit, both of us then.
    In all seriousness, you don't believe that you both jumped on without considering the previous discussion adequately? I could say all in fact: You don't have to do it, but try this: Look over the thread again and tell me where it goes awry. I'd argue the first sentence of post 4.

I'm not saying women are the only ones prone to jump into arguments willy-nilly, but when it comes to this particular subject, in my experience it's defense first, and damn the logic.

adam

dahamsta wrote:
    Common misperception koneko. Forthright != Angry.
    Oh, I dunno. In your case I'd say a little from col A...etc :p

• Advertisement

dahamsta wrote:
    In all seriousness, you don't believe that you both jumped on without considering the previous discussion adequately?

I don't intend to speak for anyone else, but no, I don't believe that. Even if that were true, I don't believe that patronising towards other people makes for a very good discussion, or a logical one for that. It isn't needed, it isn't big or clever, just leave it aside.
    I expressed my opinion as I have done before, but I don't intend on getting involved in this discussion heavily as it ends up with the same result (and can't be on boards for the rest of today, which would hamper being able to post, heh).

These discussions are the same each time. I don't believe you can judge an entire gender based on a few bad experiences. I think overall some men have this opinion of female drivers, and when they have a bad experience with a female driver it reinforces that opinion and they post about it here or tell their friends. If they have a bad experience with a male driver, they'll forget about it. The stories are always "Guess what I saw a woman driver doing", never "what I saw a male driver doing". Of course that isn't fact, just an observation/opinion, but I believe it adds to the myth or stereotype.

Without facts or real independent research we won't know, but people will always continue to say women are bad drivers, and this isn't based on logic or facts. Would I be allowed to say "black people are awful drivers"? People are people. Some will be bad some will be great, but I really don't think it's restricted to a particular gender, race, whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Billy Kovachy

My friend was on the dual carriage in Galway last saturday,only to find a woman driver coming towards him on the wrong side. He was talking to me on the phone as it was happening (hands free set). He couldn't stop laughing it was the must insane thing he has seen by a woman driver yet. Anyone else see it?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I know a couple of women drivers who refuse to reverse full stop and or refuse to take right turns. How the hell are youy supposed to learn anythoing if you refuse to do these things. Two of them are in their first year of driving on provisionals, one is older and one younger than me and both pay less for insurance than me with two years ncb and a full licence 6 years. One of them has to get her sister to reverse the car out onto the main road and then gets in and drives off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I think women are more prone to silly mistakes that will do damage to cars. A lot of women are poor at observing things, and some are atrocious at parking, but some men take stupid chances and cause serious accidents which result in fatalities or very serious injury. I think men are usually better at avoiding hazards. I think women are more sensible when it comes to drink driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Funxy

If a woman or a man cant reverse then they shouldnt be driving. Thats ignorence by anybody, as far as im concerned people who arent confident with their driving really shouldnt be on the road in the first place. Im a woman driver and im not going to say i think im better/worse then a man because it all depends on which man ;) I have been driving since i was 17 which was 7 years ago and have never had an accident.

Ive also been fortunate enough to have done some training in car skills on tracks etc so do believe ive prepared myself for road driving a little bit more then the average driver. However im not going to say i think women drivers are better because there is some bad ones. Theres also some bad guy drivers too. As someone else said it does seem to fall into the boy racer/girl slower catagory but it would be nice to say in your posts 'most' women drivers instead of using the blanket statment of all women drivers :p

Actually I should add, I was pretty sure I wrote this before but I must have accidentally deleted it or imaged things, but I don't believe insurance prices should be different. Gender shouldn't make a difference in the price of insurance.

But for that to charge, I think the insurance in this country for MEN needs to come *down* to a more realistic rate, rather than up the prices for insurance for women.

koneko wrote:
    These discussions are the same each time. I don't believe you can judge an entire gender based on a few bad experiences. I think overall some men have this opinion of female drivers, and when they have a bad experience with a female driver it reinforces that opinion and they post about it here or tell their friends. If they have a bad experience with a male driver, they'll forget about it. The stories are always "Guess what I saw a woman driver doing", never "what I saw a male driver doing". Of course that isn't fact, just an observation/opinion, but I believe it adds to the myth or stereotype.
    In my defence, I've a pretty poor opinion of all drivers in general. It's just when I see certain types of idiocy, I'm not surprised to see a woman behind the wheel. Again, there are other types of idiocy that I'm not surprised to see a man behind the wheel.
    If someone overtook me at 150km/h within 3 feet of me, I'd expect to see a man behind the wheel. If I saw a woman pulling this manouver, I'd be surprised. However, if I saw someone pull out in front of me without even looking at me, I'd immediately assume that it was a woman. If I saw a man behind the wheel, again, I'd be surprised.

I think it all stems from the "How the hell can you do something so idiotic?" remark. Men and women, being different creatures, with different strengths and weaknesses, make different mistakes. Collectively, woman will tend to make similar mistakes to eachother, and collectively men will also make mistakes similar to most other men, but different to most women.

So, when a man sees a woman doing something that he can't for the life of him comprehend how in God's name you can do, instead of realising that it's a womanly foible, he adds it to his catalogue of further proof that women can't drive nearly as well as men. The more of these "impossible" mistakes that he sees, the bigger the catalogue grows.
    Women, too see men doing things that they would never do, and think men are awful drivers. They drive too quickly, they say. Of course, there is one major difference. Women are much more likely to admit failure/inability than men are, therefore are much less likely to go off on rants about the inability of men to drive. Coupled with traditional sexism re: women drivers, you see men more often than not ranting about women drivers.

So there you go ladies. When these threads appear, just take to high ground, remember that everyone is an awful driver, and these threads are nothing more than a machismo-fuelled release coupled with frustration at the incomprehensible.

Don't take it personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

L men drivers are muppets.
    L women drivers should be kept off the road.

One the L goes, women take the law to the letter in alot of the cases, doing excatly what it says, and not using common sense. Men, seem to think they own the road.

=-=

Finally, you only notice the screw-ups. 1000 men, and 2 boy racers, you'll hate male drivers.

And currently, I'd say there are a lot more male drivers. That'll change in about 5 years, maybe, but who'll care at that stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

As has been said, there are good and bad in both genders, and you can't group a gender based on isolated incidents (insurance companies take note).

As for the spatial awareness comments, this is evolution at work. Back in the good aul days...i.e. a long long time ago when we were "hunter gathers" it was typicaly the men who hunted, resulting in an improved spatial awareness (more like to hit the animal you are hunting with whatever you are throwing). As apposed to the women in the clan who's job was to nurture the young, which meant staying at the camp, therefore not developing an improved spatial awareness.

• Advertisement

I agree, the standard of driving is pretty poor allround here, the whole testing system could do with an overhaul. There was actually someone in my area that has been spotted TWICE driving the wrong way round the roundabout (ie to take the third exit, instead of going all the way around and then pulling off, just going right and taking the "quick" route). Boggles the mind.

Advertisement