Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Women Drivers..Sorry mental drivers

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I know a bloke who used to drive home drunk from the pub on a regular basis.
    another bloke tried to run me off the road once cos he got pissed off at me driving my bike to the top of the lights and he was left queueing like every other car driver

men drivers :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭thatkindofgirl

koneko wrote:

These discussions are the same each time. I don't believe you can judge an entire gender based on a few bad experiences. ...
    Without facts or real independent research we won't know, but people will always continue to say women are bad drivers, and this isn't based on logic or facts. Would I be allowed to say "black people are awful drivers"?

Of course you could, provided you said "In general, black people are, in general (twice cos you'll need the extra support), awful drivers".

Like I'm perfectly allowed to say that "In general, Irish people are drunk, lying, lay-abouts who couldn't drive a tricycle, in general".

"In general" is a universal disclaimer that removes any impetus to be fair or even sensible in your statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Of course you could, provided you said "In general, black people are, in general (twice cos you'll need the extra support), awful drivers".

Like I'm perfectly allowed to say that "In general, Irish people are drunk, lying, lay-abouts who couldn't drive a tricycle, in general".

"In general" is a universal disclaimer that removes any impetus to be fair or even sensible in your statements.

In general, you would be perceived as a complete gob****e if you made statements like that.... In general of course....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Funxy

Damn i actually fit that blanket statment, apart from the lying bit :p

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Sounds reasonable to me. Of course, you would still be required to defend your opinion when pressed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 neilCC

tk123 wrote:
    ...and I think I'm a pretty good bike driver too...

Hi tk123,
    What sort of bike have you got?
    There aren't enough women bikers around (I'm Male btw).

I've got a Honda Hornet 900.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,873 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Watch out tk123, first he asks what bike you have, next he wants to know what you're doing Saturday night... :D

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

seamus wrote:
    ..... Women in general are also atrocious at observation, which is probably part of the poor anticipation problem.

I will say though that men's anticipation is probably part of the reason why their accidents are more serious, as they are probably more prone to rash decisions, whereas poor observation/anticipation is more likely to just lead to minor accidents.

goes both ways, however, my wife has (according to herself and the kids) missed being hit by being observant. one recent event, where seh did not like the wandering of the car behind here decided to switch a few lanes. good job, at teh next intersedtion the car accelerated (not braked) into the back of whatever was stopped ahead.

I'd be inclined to agree they get into more dingers, than major events.

Still, cannot help muttering, "I't not the QEII you'r parking, .... get on with it." from time to time.
    And about here I think they are the worst cell phone culprits. ie, get in car, start conversation, then start car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭A$$A$$IN

Why is it when women are involved in a close call or even an accident they throw their hands to their face rather than holding the wheel. This has happend to me on two occasions when a woman has pulled out in front of me at a junction or round-a-bout completely in the wrong and just throw their hands to their face in horror rather than trying to avoid me or swerve aside. It doesnt make sense :confused: ? Luckily i didnt crash into either but plz keep your hands on the wheel

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

A$$A$$IN wrote:
    Why is it when women are involved in a close call or even an accident they throw their hands to their face rather than holding the wheel.
    Too many episodes of Friends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

A$$A$$IN wrote:
    Why is it when women are involved in a close call or even an accident they throw their hands to their face rather than holding the wheel. This has happend to me on two occasions when a woman has pulled out in front of me at a junction or round-a-bout completely in the wrong and just throw their hands to their face in horror rather than trying to avoid me or swerve aside. It doesnt make sense :confused: ? Luckily i didnt crash into either but plz keep your hands on the wheel

Do you have any idea how long it would take them to re-do their makeup after a crash? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

Yea Women drivers because we all fit into the one category :rolleyes: Thats it.
    Im a fairly dodger driver myself but Sunday afternoon coming home from a drive i see the traffic lights ahead have just changed , Im goin down through me gears an stop bla bla , next thing some f*cker in a corsa nearly in me bloody boot , came flying up behind me and nearly takes the boot off me car!

I think we can safely say each category of Sex has its fair share of bad drivers and to be fair , the insurance companies obviously think woman are the better drivers if the quotes are cheaper for women .

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

OLDYELLAR wrote:
    the insurance companies obviously think woman are the better drivers if the quotes are cheaper for women .
    'Fraid not dear. In reality it doesn't make any kind of indication of women's "safeness"*

*The very definition of a "safe driver" can be disputed anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

MOST OF YOU ARE MISSING THE POINT

I STARTED THE THREAD TO SEE IF PEOPLE AGREE THAT WOMEN DRIVERS SHOULD PAY THE SAME PREMIUMS AS MEN, ON THE BASIS THAT IF YOU ARE IN AGREEMENT THAT BOTH SEXES ARE AS THICK AS EACH OTHER

ALL I HAVE READ IS...I SAW THIS I SAW THAT... BUT FROM READING THE ABOVE IT SEEMS THAT PEOPLE ARE IN AGREEMENT THAT WOMEN ARE AS BAD AS MEN WHEN IT COMES TO DRIVING. THEREFORE THE MEN'S INSURANCE PREMIUM SHOULD BE THE SAME AS THE WOMENS I.E. RIP OF IRELAND.

HOW MANY OF YOU HAVE DROVE ON THE CONTINENT. IRISH DRIVERS ARE CRAP COMPARED TO OUR EUROPEAN COUNTERPARTS.

I HAVE TAKEN THE IGNITION ADVANCED DRIVING COURSE NOT TO GET CHEAPER INSURANCE BUT TO IMPROVE MY DRIVING SKILLS. MY GF TOOK IT AS WELL AND WE AGREED IT IS SOMETHING THAT EVERYONE SHOULD DO.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

And now you're shouting it to the world? :D

I don't think women are safer drivers than men, certainly not to the extent the difference in insurance premiums would have you believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 neilCC

Yes, it is all down to training. The whole driving test system in this country is pathetic and I'm surprised that there aren't more collisions.

If everyone had to complete extensive driver training and testing before given a license it would change the situation dramatically.
    And, of course, those people who haven't successfully completed such training, ie Provisional drivers, shouldn't be allowed to drive a car unaccompanied.

The insurance industry is nothing but a scam imo. The Gov insist we have 3rdP minimum, so the insurance companies have a totally captive market - anyone who wants to drive must pay them. Crazy. The Gov should provide a cheap 3rdP cover and let people go elsehwere if they want higher cover.
    I believe in New Zealand, the cost of insurance is included with your petrol costs, so when you fill up your tank, you are paying for your insurance. Drive more = pay more. That makes a lot of sense and it can't discriminate against anyone on the basis of their age or gender.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

My friend was on the dual carriage in Galway last saturday,only to find a woman driver coming towards him on the wrong side. He was talking to me on the phone as it was happening (hands free set). He couldn't stop laughing it was the must insane thing he has seen by a woman driver yet. Anyone else see it?

It's weird, because if you saw a male doing that you'd automatically assume he was a scumbag/wacko

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

was she good looking?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

OLDYELLAR wrote:
    YI think we can safely say each category of Sex has its fair share of bad drivers and to be fair , the insurance companies obviously think woman are the better drivers if the quotes are cheaper for women .
    No, it just means they expect to pay out less on them.
    On average
    Women have lower milage
    I don't have a link but I've not seen anything to contradict that women have more accidents than men but they are usually "fender benders" whereas a man is more likely to write off the car.

If anyone has stats on numbers of accidents per mile driver or the average cost of an accident by gender it might shed some light on this.

My big annoyance is women (frequently in african dress) driving small cars with kids unbuckled in the back, with L plates (or behaving like they need them), doing maybe 20-25 mph, not indicating properly, AND looking confused. If you don't know how to drive or aren't confident then you should have a competant driver in the passenger seat. I'm also suspicious of middle aged women in big cars. And don't get me started on women driving in the overtaking lane at 10 mph less than traffic in the left lane on the Blegard road becuse they want to turn right TWO Junctions later.
    Oddly enough female taxi/hackney drivers seem to be better than the male ones - like that lad who pulled across three lanes at 40mph in to the path of a Merc speeding in a 60mph zone ( the Merc had to pass him on the inside )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 el_guapo

Now now, people, can't we all just get along? :D

I came across a great piece somewhere a while back, that might be a bit more accurate than the ole Male vs Female arguments:

There's only two types of drivers: lunatics and morons. Lunatics drive really fast and aggressively and overtake everyone in sight. Morons drive really slowly and shyly and hold everyone up. But... To lunatics, you're a moron, and to morons you're a Lunatic!

QED :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

el_guapo wrote:
    Now now, people, can't we all just get along? :D

I came across a great piece somewhere a while back, that might be a bit more accurate than the ole Male vs Female arguments:

There's only two types of drivers: lunatics and morons. Lunatics drive really fast and aggressively and overtake everyone in sight. Morons drive really slowly and shyly and hold everyone up. But... To lunatics, you're a moron, and to morons you're a Lunatic!

QED :)
    Its funny because its true!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

A$$A$$IN wrote:

Dunno about that. All too regularly I am saved by my motoring mantra "Expect the worst of people and you'll rarely be disappointed". Most frequently at the mini roundabouts in Superquinn Lucan I'll be "on" the roundabout and a woman will drive straight accross my path. I'm usually expecting it these days but I'll give them a blast of the horn anyway to wake them up. 9 times out of 10 they get all aggressive and start shouting obscenities to the effect that I just tried to kill them and their children.
    If you didn't laugh you'd cry!

I have to agree with the posts about foresight and observation too. How many times have I been trying to turn right onto a main road and had my path accross the left lane blocked by a woman in a mad rush to get to the next red light or just yapping on the phone, eyes locked straight ahead. :mad:

Advertisement