Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Thinking of changing car

Options
  • 18-07-2005 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm thinking of selling my wondering 1.0L '99 Seat Arosa and upgrading to a BMW 316 or Audi A4. Bit of a change I suppose. Couple of questions you may have thoughts on:

-The Seat has a book value of approx. €3,500 according to a friend in Allianz. How much can I realistically expect to get for it (just passed NCT). €2,500+?
    -Looking for a '97 or '96 (or even older) 316 or A4. Many around? What would I get for €7,500 or so? I've never bought from a private seller so would be wary of that, though I am sure I'd pay over the odds buying from a dealer, right?
    -I'm currently paying €500 for fully comprehensive with FBD (they are giving me the full 5-years no claims bonus based on my 9-years NCB as a named driver). What could I expect a new policy to cost for the 1.6L cars above? Obviously I'm going to call my insurers but wouldn't mind getting an idea of what's out there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

ionapaul wrote:
    FBD (they are giving me the full 5-years no claims bonus based on my 9-years NCB as a named driver).

do you have any special contacts in FBD? cause i have 4 yrs no claims on a company van and they wont give me squat for it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

I was very puzzled when they offered me the full 5 years NCB - I actually had to call to confirm, no other insurer offered me that! But yes, I got it, and no, I don't know anyone there. I'm 28, BTW, any BMW drivers here around the same age? Premiums?

Just rang FBD - can't believe it, they gave me the following quote:

€831 fully comprehensive for one year insurance on a BMW 316 worth €7000
    €696 3rd party fire & theft on the same

Stunningly low price, considering the lowest on www.123.ie was €1100 and the other 5 were over €2000! I asked the FBD agent to re-check (couldn't believe it could be so low, I know they are giving me 5 years NCB but in reality it is still my first year with my own policy), but she assured me it was correct. Decision made, new car it is :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I'm 22 y/o male with 4 years named experience (currently 1st year on my own name) and i priced an insurance quote on a 01 Audi A4 1.9TDI (115Hp) valued at €17000 and was quoted €3000 that was just with britton insurance didnt check anywhere else. Which is ok isnt it?

Anyway for €7000 - €8000 you can get a 97 Audi A4 with about 70k - 80k on the clock from a dealer
    As for the BMW you can get 96/97 one for the same price but with probably slightly higher milage on it.

This what I concluded after searching for the cars on carzone and autotrader

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

draffodx wrote:
    Anyway for €7000 - €8000 you can get a 97 Audi A4 with about 70k - 80k on the clock from a dealer
    As for the BMW you can get 96/97 one for the same price but with probably slightly higher milage on it.

This what I concluded after searching for the cars on carzone and autotrader

A collegue of mine bought a 1998 A4 TDi 110bhp about 2 months ago for €7k cash from a main dealer. The sticker price was €8,250.

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote:
    A collegue of mine bought a 1998 A4 TDi 110bhp about 2 months ago for €7k cash from a main dealer. The sticker price was €8,250.
    What exactly does 'cash' mean exactly? Pardon my ignorance, only ever bought from parents before! Will cheque do in this circumstance, or does cash actually mean cash?

What are the logistics of buying / selling privately? Ask for payment in cash? I would be fairly worried about getting ripped off, both as a seller and buyer in this instance.

This one looks right up my alley: http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=265847

• Registered Users Posts: 20,057 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

cash just means a straight purchase no trade in etc, doesnt mean u need a brown envelope and notes!!! :D
    I'm 22 y/o male with 4 years named experience (currently 1st year on my own name) and i priced an insurance quote on a 01 Audi A4 1.9TDI (115Hp) valued at €17000 and was quoted €3000 that was just with britton insurance didnt check anywhere else. Which is ok isnt it?

At draffodx, are you joking me? Im 24 first year on my own policy with 6yrs named experience and i pay €1400 on a 1.8ltr 145bhp alfa 156 thats with hibernian, 3k is outrageous

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

ionapaul wrote:
    fully comprehensive with FBD (they are giving me the full 5-years no claims bonus based on my 9-years NCB as a named driver).

I'm astonished. My hearty thanks to you for this info. I'm in roughly the same situation (30years old with 8years named driver) and fbd just quoted me €586 where the previous best via 123.ie was over double that :D

Nice one. :)

Yes I've been with FBD for the last two years and I have shopped around each time and FBD still beat the rest by about €150. I paid €650 last year full comp, 30 year old with full license for 5 years, full NCB driving 2003 Toyota Avensis 1.8. Renewal is due at the end of August so expect it to be close to €500 which is great considering my first car was a 1991 Nissan Sunny 1.4 worth £3,500 paying insurance of £2,000 Third Party Fire & Thieft. :eek:

And now they have moved to a new office about 10 mins drive from my place of work plus they accept payment by credit card. Still will do the usual ringing around, etc to make sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

draffodx wrote:
    i priced an insurance quote on a 01 Audi A4 1.9TDI (115Hp) valued at €17000 and was quoted €3000 that was just with britton insurance didnt check anywhere else. Which is ok isnt it?

yea thats ok seeing your only 22, I'm guessing your in Dublin? If not, I'd expect that quote to be a little high. It cost me €4609 for third party on a 1.4 focus when I was 21... still cant believe I payed that much but live and learn. I'm insured on a 140 bhp 1.9tdi '02 leon for about €1800 fully comp, on 3yrs ncb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

I find it sad that a 22 yo will think €60 pw is good value just to drive a 4 yo A4.

Ando wrote:
    yea thats ok seeing your only 22, I'm guessing your in Dublin? If not, I'd expect that quote to be a little high. It cost me €4609 for third party on a 1.4 focus when I was 21... still cant believe I payed that much but live and learn. I'm insured on a 140 bhp 1.9tdi '02 leon for about €1800 fully comp, on 3yrs ncb

In Meath which is just as bad as Dublin when it comes to insurance, am currently paying €1700 on a 1.4 Focus with quinn direct.
    Cyrus wrote:
    At draffodx, are you joking me? Im 24 first year on my own policy with 6yrs named experience and i pay €1400 on a 1.8ltr 145bhp alfa 156 thats with hibernian, 3k is outrageous

Really? Quinn Direct will only insure me on a SDI 90bhp Golf, I want a TDI 115bhp, Can anybody get insured with FBD these days didnt they used to only take on a limited range of people?
    Dilbert75 wrote:
    I find it sad that a 22 yo will think €60 pw is good value just to drive a 4 yo A4.

It just seems so hard to get any sort of a low quote in any sort of a decent powered car

ionapaul wrote:
    What exactly does 'cash' mean exactly? Pardon my ignorance, only ever bought from parents before! Will cheque do in this circumstance, or does cash actually mean cash?

What are the logistics of buying / selling privately? Ask for payment in cash? I would be fairly worried about getting ripped off, both as a seller and buyer in this instance.

This one looks right up my alley: http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=265847

I have a fear of buying privately too but if you get someone to check the car out and get the proper paperwork sorted out i'm sure it would be ok, depends on whether ya want to pay that bit extra for the security of buying off a dealer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

hey sham

my bmw is on the market.......its on the for sale thread. its perfect, any test welcome, it will pass anything thrown at it. im looking for 5000e. theres no more servicing required on it. loads of parts have been put on!

im not really pushed if i dont sell, as its a fine drive. but........

draffodx wrote:

Can anybody get insured with FBD these days didnt they used to only take on a limited range of people?

Yes, a couple of years ago they were mostly only interested in people who had their farm insured with them. I am with them for 2 years now and since last year have my home insured by them also. Unfortunately they don't quote online but they have a number you can ring at http://www.fbd.ie. Give them a ring.

Advertisement