Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boy hangs himself over a playstation

Options
  • 18-07-2005 11:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭

This kind of stuff seems to be getting more and more common
    GARY, 12, HANGS HIMSELF AFTER MUM CONFISCATES HIS PLAYSTATION
    By Jan Disley
    A BOY aged 12 who was sent to his room and banned from using the PlayStation hanged himself.
    Gary Lloyd had been told off by mum Gillian after having a detention at school, an inquest heard yesterday.
    She later went to look in on him because no noise was coming from the room and found him hanging by his school tie from the top of a bunk bed.
    Recording an accidental death verdict, deputy coroner Christopher Welton told the hearing in Stockport, Greater Manchester, he believed Gary was playing an attention-seeking prank that went "disastrously wrong".
    The inquest heard Gary, who went to Werneth Secondary in Stockport, had been smiling when he left school.
    Teacher Pradeep De, who supervised his detention given for not doing his homework and being late to school, said Gary was happy after seeing a former teacher.
    But when he got home late Gary argued with his mum.
    She went to look in on him after making tea and found him hanging. She and partner Leon Ball lifted him down and she tried to resuscitate him while Leon dialled 999.
    Gary was declared dead later at hospital.
    The inquest heard Mr Ball had once attempted suicide and Mr Welton said Gary saw it as a good way to attract attention.
    Describing the boy as a "loveable rogue", he said, "he'd had his PlayStation taken away and he'd been chastised for being naughty.
    "He'd seen a situation with his mother's partner that had attracted attention to him after he'd had a bit of a problem.
    "He knew his mother would be coming up soon to find him.
    "Sometimes it can be very easy to kill yourself with a ligature, if it's tied in a certain way it can happen very quickly and unexpectedly.""
    After the inquest, Mrs Lloyd, from Stockport, said Gary, the eldest of her three children, was a very happy boy.
    His death on October 13 last year was "a bolt from the blue".
    Werneth Secondary said his death was met with "great sadness and disbelief".

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Pretty shocking stuff, although I'd say the headline is a bit misleading, it's more that he hung himself to gain attention/sympathy after an argument with his mother than over a playstation. The real story here is that a boy hung himself to get attention and sadly it went wrong.
    Very tragic stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Yeah, not really anything to do with playstations etc.

Still, very sad..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Yeah. The Playstation is completely irrelevant to the news story. 15/20 years ago and it would have been his TV that was taken away from him.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,405 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yet again the Daily Mail uses another tragedy for another 'shocking' death by playstation article.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

One of these days im gonna beat someone to death with a ps2..just to see the headlines :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Deadwing wrote:
    One of these days im gonna beat someone to death with a ps2..just to see the headlines :D

now i'd buy a paper to read that!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

use an xbox instead deadwing. your motive could be "i needed somethin heavier and chunky."
    then that would be all three consoles causing deaths :rolleyes:

evad_lhorg wrote:
    use an xbox instead deadwing. your motive could be "i needed somethin heavier and chunky."
    then that would be all three consoles causing deaths :rolleyes:

why what/who was killed by the Gamecube???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

danniemcq wrote:
    why what/who was killed by the Gamecube???
    Well personally I'd opt for the 2 gamecube approach. They offer fexibility, along with the ease of use (handles) so that you can attack with speed, ferocity and acuracy to ensure a quick and victorious fight. Xbox, I think, would be too bulky, although would last the test of time. Imo the playstation would be the weakest of them all.

Right.....I have my 2 gamecubes. Come and have a go...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

You see, I needed something to shove into his eye sockets....

After unsuccessfully trying both X-Box and Ps2 disc's, I found those of the Gamecube a perfect fit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,405 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Have to agree about using 2 Gamecubes rather than an xbox. Despite the small size the Gamecube is a heavy console comparable to the xbox. The handles also give extra mobility, flexibility and speed. I'm surprised ninjas haven't taken to this deadly weapon.

The advantage on the xbox is that you could pin somebody down by just placing it on their body and giving the a good proper shoeing. Also after bludgeoning somebody to death with your xbox it would still probably work. I sneezed in the general direction of my last PS2 while in another room and it stopped working.

However the slimline PS2 has some vicious corners.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

ive always said if you sharpened the edge of the GC discs they would make killer weapons. now THATS video game violence!

what about an old retro approach and using the edges of the old N64 cartridges (oh my god i can't believe i called the N64 retro /shudders) or even the master system of mega grive had nice pointy edges. mind you so did the master system contoller so maybe if you swung it over your head while holding the wire......

Totally forgot about the slim line ps2. thats the type of weapon you keep hidden in you sock so when your frisked or asked to throw over your weapons you can still pack a surprise, like in all those great cop movies of old when they had the small PS2 in its holster under their sock.

The xbox, for me just wouldn't cut the mustard. Large, clumsy, awkward to weild. I think the cube offers the best mobility and as Retro has already pondered, I can't believe that it is not being utilised in the same way the Katana or ninja stars are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Don't forget the slab known as the PSP!

Or the jewellery box DS... Add a wrist strap to those and you got a fierce weapon!

If you left the controller plugged into the cube and held it by the handle you could make a fairly good whipping device with it i reckon. Tho for sheer brutality i reckon pegging an xbox at someones head is really gonna do maximum damage

if we are bringing controllers in to this then id say the atari jaguar's controllers would make the best flail/mace type weapon :P

jaggeh wrote:
    if we are bringing controllers in to this then id say the atari jaguar's controllers would make the best flail/mace type weapon :P
    Are you forgetting the dreamcasts controllers?? With those horrible pointy bits at the end?? imagine getting one of those rammed into your crotch :eek:
    Or you could use the pointy bits to take someones eyes out, depending on the situation i guess

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

The power adapter for the Amiga 500 was a weighty beast but compact. You could probably swing it around, bola like, and use it to club someone from a distance.

funkyflea wrote:
    Don't forget the slab known as the PSP!

Or the jewellery box DS... Add a wrist strap to those and you got a fierce weapon!

get the screens to smash for added lacerations!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Gamecube. It's got that handle.
    You know.
    Handles are probably quite handy when you're trying to hit someone over the head, extra grip.

Another thing the xbox and cube have is the 4 controller slots allowing you to weild 4 of the blighters, with out the need for the extra baggage of a multitap. Although the multitap can be thrown in time of desperation, but everyone knows that if the time has come that your resorting to throwing your multitap then the game is up, lie down and die like a man.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

THIS is why I love boards.ie

(I'd probably take ixoys' initiative and go with an amiga 500 power block in one hand and a gamecube in the other, that way I can make some long distance hits because of the cable and then slide in for a quick temple shot once the target is weak. The xbox could destroy a foe in one good blow, but it's too much to get a good build up with)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

I'd use the defective X-box cables as a taser.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

You can't really swing the Xbox and have the controller swing with it, the controllers will disconnect because there's that feature on the cable, the controllers will just come off and fly off into the distance. An Xbox to the back of the head will surely hurt though.

Two Gamecubes though. Both have handles. Like square purple boxing gloves.

Jesus, what's wrong with you people?!

i really hope his mother doesn't read this thread! on the other hand 4 fingers and a thumb

Your right! What is wrong with us?? We're fogetting the gameboy. Origional and best. Heavy enough to stun you assailant while you move in for the fatal blow with what ever console you deem worthy. The Saturn was a nice chunky console, worth a look and can be picked up fairly cheap for those of you looking to equip yourselves on a budget.

Maybe with accurate swinging you could use the failsafe mechanism of the xbox and gamecube controllers to your advantage. Swing them corrently and let them detach at the percise moment to fly into you opponents face with pace. These weren't made for gaming at all. They're deadly weapons!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Whilst the Amiga powerblock would be quite suitable I would suggest going even more old school and opting for a C64 powerblock. It was about 1/2 the size of the A500 but heavier therefore making for a more powerful projectile. Plus its irregular shape meant it had 10 edges as opposed to the rectangular A500s 8 making for an increased probabilitiy of impacting the target in question with an edge.

if you used the 2 gamecubes swinging one at either side of his head you'd get a geeky conchairdo (WWE, edge and christian, few years back, come on you all know)

• Advertisement

then of course for retr0 we have this
    NES%20Max%20Robot.jpg

Advertisement