Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Connecting a camcorder to a PC

• 18-07-2005 11:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    I was wondering if its possible to connect a camcorder to a PC? Ive got a few videos I wanna put up on the net but they are on a camcorder. what kind of cables would I need?Do i need a certain kind of video card?(Radeon 9800 Pro)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

GaRtH_V wrote:
    Hey,
    I was wondering if its possible to connect a camcorder to a PC? Ive got a few videos I wanna put up on the net but they are on a camcorder. what kind of cables would I need?Do i need a certain kind of video card?(Radeon 9800 Pro)

If your camcorder has fireware and your pc doesn't.

Get a firewire card and cable.

Personally I think firewire is the only way to go when transfering stuff off a camcorder, and use something like adobe permier to capture if off the camcorder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Well you could buy an analogue capture care if the camera doesn't have firewire.... but go with a firewire card if it's available.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Hmm firewire aint available. Theres an svideo connector on the camera and an svideo connector on my graphics card. Svideo lead somewhere too, Can I do it this way?What program could I use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Cosmonaut

whats the name/model number of the camera.

If its just an anologue camera, youll have to get a TV card to S-Video the footage through to a capture programme. It can be pretty clunky, but if theres no alternative...

You can pick up Internal TV Cards here:
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/kl.asp?bn=10419

And theyve also got sum USB ones, bit more expensive, but handy if u have a laptop.
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=302293&cks=PRL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

GaRtH_V wrote:
    Theres an svideo connector on the camera and an svideo connector on my graphics card. Svideo lead somewhere too, Can I do it this way?
    The odds are that this s-video port on your gfx card is for output only. (ie. TV-out)
    That's the case most of the time anyway.
    Certain cards will have a ViVo ("video in video out") feature, but usually you'll know if you have this or not. (should say on the box or the manual)
    For example my 6600GT has ViVo, and to look at it you wouldn't really know, since the port looks like your average s-video out... except for the cable that comes with it... has connectors for s-video and composite (in & out).
    So it's pretty unlikely that you could use that port on your gfx card, but there are exceptions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bamboozled

GaRtH_V wrote:
    Hmm firewire aint available. Theres an svideo connector on the camera and an svideo connector on my graphics card. Svideo lead somewhere too, Can I do it this way?What program could I use?
    Thats the same as my set up was. I bought hauppage win tv and use the s-video cable to connect the camera to the winTV thing, then the winTV plugs on via usb. It came with software so i was able to transfer stuff over. I dont know how much the winTV thing was or is. There's probably an easier/cheaper way but that was the only route i found when i was doing it ages ago.

Advertisement