Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

chorus update...don't laugh

• 20-07-2001 12:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭

Thats an odd one alright. Sorry to say it but ure best bet is to contact chorus. Unless the CS server doesnt like the chorus network or something, but thats unlikely.

This is a bad report when many in cork are waiting for the quadrant to be opened...

Looks quite likely that theres something dodgy going on with the relationship between the servers and chorus. Get the 'boffins' (and I use the term loosely) at chorus to sort it out, or tell them u'll bomb their building }:>

Just as a matter of interest, what kinda speeds are u getting on pnet? I know its up to 512k but whats a typical speed?

Thanks and sorry I am absolutely no help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭yankinlk

after enjoying 2 months of bliss on chorus' powernet i must sadly post it appears to be over...

for some reason, when my m8 (Dazza) and i try and play CS at the same time (not even the same server) we get this awful me lag, then you lag, then me lag...back and forth.

pings around 100 on irish servers untill he joins then its pings of 1000+. (it literally trades off back and forth the whole time.)

i'd love if someone could explain this to me so ill give you the run down on specs:

me intel, him amd, around a 1ghz each
    plenty o ram at 256 each
    windows 2000 both
    nice fast hds both
    fine and dandy nics both
    latest drivers for video cards 2 x gts'
    ip's from chorus are 1 digit apart
    played with rate settings: from 3500 to 10000, no joy.

If he is playing and im downloading a giant file of some sort i get grand dl speed and he sees no lag, but whenever we play CS at same time from our respective houses forget it!

and the **** off is i got ICS running and tested his machine and mine from same house/connect and it was perfect!

aye. i have a call in to support and they are being very helpful i must admit. im told a tech "is on it" and the lovely lady on the phone admits " it sounds like a problem on our side"...must admit it's nice to talk details like dropped packets and not get a silent pause. if shes faking knowledge shes doing it well. hope that what they changed during the week is at fault and can be corrected.

ill let yall know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Just a stab in the dark here, but it's possible that whatever service being used behind the wireless connection ( dsl is it ? ) isn't very capable of sharing bandwidth. The reason that you won't notice it when downloading files is because they will download in bursts anyway.

I suppose try and find some network analysis tools and run them on your network when yee are both downloading something and see what happens.. ?

Gav

Cheers verb thats a good idea. Its not DSL it's cable running from an antenna (wireless) on my roof.

Myself and Dazza plan to do testing tonight.
    1. Play CS at same time on Irish and UK servers.
    2. Play another online game (to eliminate a dodgy cs patch/install)
    3. Maybe use some network testing software to see what that tells us.

any other suggestions....(u reading this moist?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Aye, I was thinkig that it coul be DSL down chorus's end of the connection. I don't actually know, just remember someone mentioning it.

Though if you think about it, there would be no good reason to have dsl down the other end....

Anyway... have fun smile.gif

Gav

• Advertisement

Right so...after doing a little testing with Dazza...I have a few screen shots for you to examine.

yanklag.jpg
    this shows my high ping and his low one.

yanklag2.jpg
    this shows what my net_graph looked like in game...obviously it's supposed to be a nice straight green line, and it ain't.

http://www.geocities.com/yankinlk/index.html

This link has all five shots of Dazza lagging and me perfect, me lagging and Dazza perfect, back and forth. These were taken on NGUK's server #1 when it was virtually empty, we tried an Irish server first but it was the same story. English server's are always better anyway as (moist told me) chorus hasn't an INEX connection sorted yet so everything has to go to the UK and back again.

Now, as soon as either one of us stopped playing the other's ping and lag would return to normalacy.

We also tried the same thing with Unreal Tournament to see if it was a dodgy install of Half Life: Counter Strike, but no, same exact story. I don't know how to do screen shots there so I didnt try.

This has only started in the last week, it was always perfect when myself and DAzza played at same time before that. It's as if we are leaching from each other the connection.

[This message has been edited by yankinlk (edited 20-07-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Just a complete guess, but could it possibly be UDP routing at one of chorus's routers? It sounds suspicously like a UDP problem... as games use UDP for internet play, but not many other programs use this protcol, prefering TCP? Just a thought...

Moriarty
    mrmoriarty@eircom.net

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭moist

****AAARRRGGHHH*****

Just went and wrote a big reply and then the sodding spell checker killed IE frown.gif
    Ye'll just have to suffer my spelling from now on.

Eh, yeah, so, lets try this again...

What sort of IP did they give you ?
    Is it a real one, or an rfc1918 (i.e. 10.x.x.x or 192.168.x.x)
    If its a private address they probably have some sort of NAT/PAT in front of it so
    you appear to be comming from a real IP.
    If yourself and Dazza seem to be comming from the same address, the server may get confused about which of you its talking to,
    depending on how the NAT/PAT is implememted(sp?).
    Bayridge logs should tell you if you are.

You may be able to get around it by running one of your clients on a different port by
    passing the -port 27050 option to hl.exe
    If not you may be able to contact chorus and get them to assign you a real IP.

This of course is assuming you are on an private IP.

cheers for showing up here moist, ur a sound lad!

we both have different private ip's.

Last night myself and dazza played for around 10 minutes on bayridge, nguk1 (uk server) and barrysworld and it was fine. interestingly enough i was downloading service pack 2 for 2000 at the exact same time and as it should be there was absolutely zero lag.

so cross my fingers, maybe it's been sorted? or is it possible that it will only happen when some other unknown force is using abusing the connection and untill they enforc the download limit i could be suffering? im probably the only person besides dazza that actually WANTS them to cap users download limit!

Grrrr. Appears that the same things are happening again this week for myself and Darren. It is abysmal trying to use the connection unless like now (8:30 am) it is early morning and no one is awake but me wink.gif

Running a ping to the server I was playing on at the same time see below:

Ping statistics for 212.120.138.69:
    Packets: Sent = 614, Received = 324, Lost = 290 (47% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 50ms, Maximum = 1392ms, Average = 129ms

47% loss is clearly unacceptable for any network connection. and "Maximum = 1392ms" was the norm when I was in game trying to play.

At 9:30 last night I lost all connections to the internet and Darren was fine so I installed Chorus Powernet Diags software to check modem. The icon went red whenever I did a ping and read "INconsistent UpStream State PM_IDLE" then the icon would turn white and read "Cable Modem in Power Calibration Mode". If I stopped pinging the server on the internet the icon would turn green again and read "Upstream Connectivity OK". Untill I tried to ping again and it would repeat this process.

At midnight I played with Darren for 25 minutes but my connection dropped completley once again, ie i couldnt ping anything but the modem anymore untill this morning. Darren however was fine at his house in Raheen.

any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by moist:
    ****AAARRRGGHHH*****

Just went and wrote a big reply and then the sodding spell checker killed IE frown.gif
    Ye'll just have to suffer my spelling from now on.

Eh, yeah, so, lets try this again...

What sort of IP did they give you ?
    Is it a real one, or an rfc1918 (i.e. 10.x.x.x or 192.168.x.x)
    If its a private address they probably have some sort of NAT/PAT in front of it so
    you appear to be comming from a real IP.
    If yourself and Dazza seem to be comming from the same address, the server may get confused about which of you its talking to,
    depending on how the NAT/PAT is implememted(sp?).
    Bayridge logs should tell you if you are.

You may be able to get around it by running one of your clients on a different port by
    passing the -port 27050 option to hl.exe
    If not you may be able to contact chorus and get them to assign you a real IP.

This of course is assuming you are on an private IP.

</font>

I think this guy is right on the money!

[This message has been edited by SickBoy (edited 24-07-2001).]

as he said, "This of course is assuming you are on an private IP."

I am not on a private ip and neither is DAzza, we both have different public ip address' ie i can ping my modem when it's on from work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭BlueDrax

Could it have something to do with the fact that the Internet Cafe that opened in Limerick two weeks ago uses Chorus Powernet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by yankinlk:
    cheers for showing up here moist, ur a sound lad!

we both have different private ip's.B]</font>
    That comment led me to believe that you were using a private IP address..... I should have known really.... biggrin.gif

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Moriarty:
    Just a complete guess, but could it possibly be UDP routing at one of chorus's routers? It sounds suspicously like a UDP problem... as games use UDP for internet play, but not many other programs use this protcol, prefering TCP? Just a thought...

</font>

OK MOriarty, its your turn at bat. Problem is still happening 20 days in and Im beginning to suspect you may be right...

Just waiting for someone from Chorus to contact me to run some testing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭[Preacher]

I know this is totally off topic but I was just wondering about the powernet service itself:
    1. How much was the installation and hardware?

2.Is the access (excluding this problem) a constant speed?

3. Do you easily go over 3Gb and if so what do they charge you for it?

If you could answer these I'd greatly appreciate it. And I hope your problem gets sorted yank.

-Preacher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

its £195 for the total instalation.its not at a constant speed but it is fast but not as fast as xdsl and cable its a good bit faster than 128k isdn and satilite.i do around about 6gigs a month but most of it is crap its 3p a meg after the 3gig d/l limit

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

This is the latest pricing I've received (this week in fact). I still find it difficult to understand how it costs twice as much to install the "High speed modem" in a business than it does in a residence. Odd that, isn't it? Same modems, same computers...

adam

Chorus PowerNet
    Wireless Service Pricing Structure

Residential

High speed modem Installation IRP 150.00 inc. VAT
    Monthly Rental IRP 40.00 inc. VAT
    Monthly Flat rate Download limit 3Gb
    Volume charge above limit 2p per MB

Subject to a min. twelve month contract

Option of self install or using a recommended IT install company
    Payable directly to the authorised IT install company

Software Install IRP 48.00 inc. VAT
    Software/ Ethernet card Install IRP 99.00 inc. VAT (to include a specified d-link ethernet card)
    Software/ USB to Ethernet adapter IRP TBA

NB Above amounts are payable COD directly to authorized install partner

Business Services

High speed modem installation IRP 299.00 exc. VAT

Single PC connection
    Monthly rental IRP 79.00 exc. VAT
    Monthly Flat rate Download limit 6Gb
    Volume charge above limit 2p per MB

Network LAN connection

Customer must have less than 20 computers on the network.

Zyxel 312 Broadband IP router TBA
    Monthly rental IRP 150.00 exc. VAT
    Flat rate download limit 10Gb
    Volume charge above limit 1p per MB

Subject to a min. twelve-month contract

Payable directly to the authorised IT install company

Single PC install
    Software Install IRP 48.00 exc. VAT
    Software/ Ethernet card Install IRP 99.00 exc. VAT (to include a specified d-link ethernet card)
    Software/ USB to Ethernet adapter IRP TBA

LAN installation IRP 65.00 exc. VAT per hour subject to site survey
    By authorised IT install company

NB Above amounts are payable COD or by account directly to the authorized install partner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dahamsta:
    I still find it difficult to understand how it costs twice as much to install the "High speed modem" in a business than it does in a residence. Odd that, isn't it? Same modems, same computers...</font>

its called scamming! and no wonder the economy is doing so bad.

adnans

kent brockman: "... and while we're speaking of well educated manner they tend to use low brow expressions like 'oh Yeah' and 'come here a minute'.
    homer: "oh yeah!, they think they're better then us. bart, come here a minute!"
    bart: "you come here a minute"
    homer yeahhh!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

Any luck yankin? so far?

• Advertisement

nothing to report.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

Is this PowerNet avaible everywhere?

£40 is alright for flat rate connection with good speed. Don't think i'd go over the 3gb limit. don't really play games that much.

Whazzzzzz ya think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

The download limit?
    Is there a way of logging how much data you're bringing down over the connection?

or is that part of the powernet software?

I'm back in limerick in a few weeks and I'd love to get this in (just don't tell the gf) smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

3gb download limit.

There loads of freeware/shareware software that tracks the amount you download. Usin it anyway now with my crappy modem, haddy for pridicting the phone bill and running away just in the nick of time smile.gif

Netbuddy is the one i'm usin now by the way.

Gideon.

Yankinlk: You said the service uses a public ip ie you can ping it from work. is it a fixed ip?

or does it use dhcp, and if so any idea how long the leases are for?

John

not 100 percent sure how it works. I know it's not fixed because I have asked before, however mine hasn't changed for a while. And I've asked how much to buy my ip and been told that it isn't for sale.

Hmmmmm,

So the burning question.....

Is it worth it?

I'll be moving into a house in curragh birin for fourth year and I'm ****ed if I'm giving eircom a bloody penny

John

Curragh birin eh? I ahve a m8 living there that has been wanting to get it...drop us an email if you get a tech out to you. very interested to find out if line of site is ok for that area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

lo yankin, i was talkin to Dazza there in a server yesterday i think it was and he said u had the problem sorted, with u and him going on at the same time?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement