Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick question

• 18-07-2005 12:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Hey,
    How can I get broadband even if eircom says my line is unsuitable?
    And what do they mean by unsuitable?
    This seems weird because my neighbours have eircom broadband, and if i'm in the same area shouldn't I be able to get it too??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

No you cant.
    Eircom wont give it to you. Try ringing up Esat and getting them to test your line. It doesnt matter if your neighbours have broadband its all to do with the copper wiring in your house

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

GaRtH_V wrote:
    No you cant.
    Eircom wont give it to you. Try ringing up Esat and getting them to test your line. It doesnt matter if your neighbours have broadband its all to do with the copper wiring in your house
    And if your really desperate get IBB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 lamella

Are you kidding? What about satellite broadband? Could that work?

lamella wrote:
    Are you kidding? What about satellite broadband? Could that work?

Keep away from Satalite Broadband !!

1. Try BT
    2. NTL
    3. Then try SMART

and if all fails try Irish Broadband !!

good luck

Ok, thanks for the help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

GaRtH_V wrote:
    No you cant.
    technically it has to do with the quality of the line between your local exchange and your house, not the wiring IN your house, but thats just me being pedantic.

Drapper wrote:
    And if your really desperate get IBB

Out of curiousity, whats wrong with IBB?
    vibe666 wrote:
    technically it has to do with the quality of the line between your local exchange and your house, not the wiring IN your house, but thats just me being pedantic.

Is there a way to improve the line? Does it cost a lot?

lamella wrote:
    Out of curiousity, whats wrong with IBB?

Is there a way to improve the line? Does it cost a lot?

IBB:- Guess I'm being harsh but if you want it for gaming or conistent DL/UL its a little unreliable, read all the other threads, but its fine other than that.........

DSL:- no its up to Eircom to imporve your line, and to be honest they wont! as there is a million reason why you did not pass for Broadband !

1. Distance from exchange
    2. Splitters on the line
    3. Your rack in the exchange no upgraded
    4. Poor copper in the ground
    5. If your in a multi tenanted building (same as point 2)

These are only a few of the reasons !

If your anxiuos to get Eircom only ask them to do a physical test, where an engineer can call out ! and check ! but they dont like doing this ! BTW there is 1000's like you who cant get ADSL, try a fwe of the others !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭Daemonic

If your neighbour can get broadband then the problem may be the wiring in your house or devices currently hooked up to your line. If there are internal phone extensions then thats a likey culprit, as are digital handsets etc.
    Disconnect any DIY phone extensions and plug a basic handset in. Leave this setup for a month and check availability again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

afaik, eircom is doing free ISDN installs and removals these days

Get ISDN installed as you'd have to have a reasonable clean line to get ISDN so they'd put the extra effort into doing so.

And before the offer runs out cancel it.

Then try for DSL, in theory you should come out with a better line then you already have. Maybe its eircoms way of doing their amber program. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement