Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT To Revamp their own ADSL (40 exchanges) to serve to 6KM

Options
  • 18-07-2005 12:24pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

BT To Revamp their ADSL Gear.

It will soon service out to 6km according to Silicon Republic

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭SparkyLarks

Great move, hopefully it will now put pressure on Eircom to do the same.

Though will upgrading existing enabled exchanges mean less new exchanges being enabled , as in only so much money to go round.

Which is preferable??( Both obviously but if you had to choose only one). Which will benifit more people??

I assume exchanges in Dublin City center don;t have connections further than 4 k away. How rural do you have to go i.e suburbs? satellite towns, rural towns??. How many people will this effect??

By the way, the 99% figure that is quoted in regards to the UK does that include 256k??? I read once that it does.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

while reading that article i saw some others and eircom are claiming they are under pressure to bring in a new eircom lite 256k service soon.

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/news.nv?storyid=single5108

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

Gonzo wrote:
    while reading that article i saw some others and eircom are claiming they are under pressure to bring in a new eircom lite 256k service soon.

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/news.nv?storyid=single5108

What a load of bull McRedmond is coming up with. The trouble is journalists are still willing to print it and some gullible guys in gov and ComReg are still buying into these utter nonsense "arguments".
    “There has been a lot of criticism of Eircom on this subject, but a lot of it is wrong. We have pulled out all the stops. We are making announcements every month, we are moving fast and hard on this one. We have a good set of products, fair prices and they are widely available. What the Irish market needs is stimulation in terms of good reasons to adopt PCs and broadband.”

Our relatively low PC penetration is caused by being hampered from the start with accessing the Internet, be it with dial-up or broadband by the incumbent for short-term greedy profiteering, "helped" by an unfit regulator.
    PC penetration growth in the rest of the EU is a consequence of good Internet and Broadband access.

90% bb coverage my arse. Why is none of the journos challenging such false claims? Why is ComReg supporting such false claims in its publications?

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

In Sweden they had tax-incentives to get people to buy PC's. It was talked about here as well some five years ago. Not by the government obviously.

You can tell that Eircom are trying through their advertising to sell broadband in terms of what people might find useful. Booking holidays, essentially. This implies that in Ireland a lot of people don't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Blaster99 wrote:
    In Sweden they had tax-incentives to get people to buy PC's. It was talked about here as well some five years ago. Not by the government obviously.

That existed until relatively recently. Revenue scapped it. I bought 4 PCs under it through my former employers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Why did silicon Republic print such utter dribble from McRedmond???

I must say 256k Vs 1Mbit timed....I would pick 256K.

At least then Eircom wont be allowed to bull about having one of the fastest standard packages in the EU(1Mbit)...but one of the slowest(256k)...which more accurately resembles eircoms achievements!!

Why eircom didnt do a deal with Dell giving people PC's for €400-€500 I really dont know!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭DonegalMan

Blaster99 wrote:
    You can tell that Eircom are trying through their advertising to sell broadband in terms of what people might find useful.
    It might be more useful if they'd make it available to the 40%+ people who can't get it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

That's probably because it is Eircom's wholesale bitstream product that BT resells at a competitive price. You'll know if you have an LLU'd BT product as you would be paying about twice as much as you would for a similar bitstream product. Or as BT would say "We’ve been very aggressively selling bitstream products and we want to migrate as many customers over to LLU so we can give them better benefits and features". What these benefits are beats me. I presume this announcement is that BT are going to do ADSL2+ in their exchanges. It would be nice to see some decent products coming out of that as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

When will the new 13 exchanges go live? Also where are the exchanges?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Praetorian wrote:

The exchanges will all be in Dublin or within 2 miles of a Railway Line !

Live end 2005 or early 2006

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Well here is hoping, I live 1/2 a mile from the railway line ;)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Praetorian wrote:

I'd assume Dublin North Main will be one, as it is an obvious big hole in BT's coverage.

Dublin North Main is one of the largest exchanges in the country, covers much of the North side of Dublin city and even has Smart now, but strangely no BT LLU.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

zuma wrote:
    Why did silicon Republic print such utter dribble from McRedmond???

I must say 256k Vs 1Mbit timed....I would pick 256K.

At least then Eircom wont be allowed to bull about having one of the fastest standard packages in the EU(1Mbit)...but one of the slowest(256k)...which more accurately resembles eircoms achievements!!

Why eircom didnt do a deal with Dell giving people PC's for €400-€500 I really dont know!!!!

Actually BT in the UK have now increased the speed of their standard package (entry level) to 2mb for £17.99 (~€26) per month (however it does have a strict 1GB cap).

So no Eircom doesn't have the fastest entry level package anymore.

BTW Dell actually sells PC's for €400 - €500 now.

bk wrote:
    Actually BT in the UK have now increased the speed of their standard package (entry level) to 2mb for £17.99 (~€26) per month (however it does have a strict 1GB cap).

So no Eircom doesn't have the fastest entry level package anymore.

BTW Dell actually sells PC's for €400 - €500 now.

And thats why I said they should do a deal with Dell....how many people know that Dell sell PC's that cheaply???...not a lot!

When will eircom give us our next speed increase???.....BT now have everyone at 2MB as they will be introducing 8Mbit as their new high end product by November......what will eircom bitstream be offering as their premium account??.....yeah 2Mb and we better get used to it as they wont be changeing for a while!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

This is brilliant news! For me anyway... :D I'm connected to the Drogheda exchange with BT LLU inside it. Too far away for eircom. The one serious concern is the extra 500 metres the line length is. Would BT enable a line that close to the limits? Mabye I shouldn't be hopeful after all:( I'm suprised they took that option, it would've made more sense to enable more exchanges. Mabye the upgrade was nothing more than a frmware upgrade which should cost little?

funny how BT gear works to 10km in the UK but to only 6Km in Ireland :(

PPPoA = UK
    PPPoE = Ireland

And a little thing called line quality and lack of maintenace...hahaha!!!!

I thought ESAT Business DSL products were PPP over ATM as well so its not that Zuma :)

The implication is certainly there that UK telephone lines are 66% better quality than Irish ones :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

On my travels I have seen many examples of decrepit wiring on poles across Ireland but most of the wiring to me is underground so would that mean it's better quality as underground wiring was newer? And less prone to car accidents, the weather etc? I have noticed that BT has far more wiring underground up the North than eircom do here. Is that the reason for the poorer wiring in Ireland?

The main reason for poor eircom wiring is because its investors are sucking it dry of as much cash as they can get away with.
    With the highest line rental in Europe we should have far far higher line quality with even Fibre being rolled out in more areas.

Alas we have one of the worst!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

zuma wrote:
    The main reason for poor eircom wiring is because its investors are sucking it dry of as much cash as they can get away with.
    With the highest line rental in Europe we should have far far higher line quality with even Fibre being rolled out in more areas.

Alas we have one of the worst!!!

yeah tell me about it in my nana's gaff i changed the phone socket cause it was cracked and the jack wouldnt fit to my horror the wires where all mouldy well i suppose the house is 70 year old :o but only has a phone the last 30 and its brand new coming from the pole outside prob a rip in the insulation bloody eircon

Advertisement