Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disabled Person Getting NO HELP/GRANTS

• 18-07-2005 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭

Hi,
    I am posting this on behalf of a friend who is 40 odd (wont say her age haha) and has Fibromyalgia which im sure most people here would know is a degenerative disease of all the joints in the body. And she also has ME and Chronic arthritis.

So working is next to impossible. She is getting less and less mobile and now has to use her wheel chair if she is going further then the local shops and it will get worse. She has a spinal cord stimulator which took 7 years on a waiting list cause she couldn’t afford private.

She is currently working in a Fás course and loves it cause its close to home and there VERY understanding to her needs and understand that sometimes she’s in hospital for weeks without any notice. But her contract is up in 2 weeks and the rules state that they cant keep her on (wither she was 100% mobile or not)

So ive been searching around and notice that she was allowed a grant for an extension to build a downstairs toilet etc so ive gotten them forms and filling them out for her at the moment. But what else is she allowed? wage wise its not a problem her husband is on a fas course as well. I heard something about getting tax back on a car or something but it has to be a new car.

Can people PLEASE post or PM me any information they have about what she is eligible for and even what she is not and ill give it a shot :) i know people who are alot less sick and dont need the financial help as much and are getting alot more then she is.

Thank you in advance.
    Paul

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Disabled people do not have to pay vrt on a new car 1.4l or under, also they do not have to pay motor tax.

Is she inreceipt of the disability pension oe entitled to it(sounds like she would be but have to ask anyway)?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭paulthelegend

Hi moonbeam, Im getting her to apply for the certs first cause i think you have to be on them 4 months till u can get the pension. Shes meeting the doctor tomorrow to get something you need to go on certs.

yea she would be able to get anything like cause the household wage is low and she isnt able to walk more then 2 minutes without the wheel chair so im guessing disabled wise she would be suitable.

Im sorry if in using wrong words here and insulting some people so please excuse my ignorance but i havn't a clue and im just trying to help a friend.

Who would i go to , to find out about the vrt thing and motor tax? and does that only apply to brand new cars? like 05 cars? cause if she could afford a 05 car even without the VRT then she wouldnt need pensions and grants haha :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Start with logging on to: www.oasis.gov.ie/
    ;) P.

p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,474 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Hi moonbeam, Im getting her to apply for the certs first cause i think you have to be on them 4 months till u can get the pension. Shes meeting the doctor tomorrow to get something you need to go on certs.
    Disability benefit is payable after the third day, I'm not sure of the rules for disability allowance, but check http://www.welfare.ie/schemes/ill/index.html

Advertisement