Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed on getting a DVD recorder...

Options
  • 18-07-2005 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭

I have a Sky+ box, which I upgraded with a 120 Gb disk last christmas. It works fine, but the number of film's we are hanging onto is growing, leaving less space to play with. We'll soon be back to the situation we had with the original 40 Gb disk, of making sure we watch series we recorded within a day or so of recording, so we can make room for other stuff we plan to record...

So I think we're getting to the point where we get a DVD recorder to archive the films we want to keep.

But is now a good time?

Looked into it last christmas, at the time cheapest recorder was around €200, and the mainstream brands were closer to €300. So we bypassed it by putting the larger disk in the Sky+ Box.

Prices dont seem to have dropped very much in the meantime. You can get a cheap recorder in Power City for around €190, and the mainstream brands seem to have come down into the €270+ bracket, but from what I can see (in Ireland anyway), the range has not really changed, and has not really dropped in price.

So should I wait a while (maybe til oct/Nov) in the hope that something happens price/range wise, or just jump in now with the best I can find for price/features...

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

No matter when you buy it will be cheaper a few weeks/months/years later.

Make sure that whatever you buy will do what you probably want it to do :
    record via RGB from your Sky+ box
    record discs that will play on other players
    If you're happy that at 200 euro or 300 euro (or whatever) that the equipment does what you want it to do and does it well then jump in and get your feet wet :D

If you don't mind spending the extra I'd suggest getting a recorder with a harddrive. It allows you to edit out adverts and generally clean up programmes before you put them onto DVD-R. If you've got home videos (family stuff etc) you'll value the HD for sure. Yes, it can be done on the PC but frankly it's a p.i.t.a.

If the recorder is cheap then there's a reason why... you get's what you pays for.

Advertisement