Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bought new PC - what games now?

Options
  • 18-07-2005 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Finally bought a new PC (from Dell)... should be coming in a week or so.
    It's a P4 3.0Mhz, 1024MB RAM with a 256MB nVidia GeForce 6800.

It's replacing a P3 500MHZ - and I've been out of the PC Games world for a few years now as nowt works on it.

I loved the Rainbow 6 series - and had the orignal games on it.
    Whats the current crop like? What are the main / best style games like this out there? I think the PC is still amazing for these style games due to the mouse method of view / control (so much accuracy than controller) and lots more keyboard options.
    Also - I loved Grand Prix 3 (bought GP4 bought wouldnt work) - whats a good f1 game?

(BTW... I'm expecting a 2MB Broadband from BT soon... any of the above work well online here?
    Sorry for sounding like such a noob, but my gaming has been soley on the PS2 the past few years with a diet of GTA and PES! :))
    ta

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Doom 3
    Half life 2
    Battlefield 2

You dont need anything else, trust me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I take it you haven't played Half-life 2 yet then? Get it! It can be got fairly cheap now and you get Counter-Strike Source with it, which you can put to use on your 2Mb connection :)

GTA san andreas is good too, but you've probably already got that on your Playstation.
    Another game I loved, which should be really dirt cheap now, is Max Payne 2 -- again, you might have played this on the playstation.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Deadwing wrote:
    Doom 3
    Half life 2
    Battlefield 2

You dont need anything else, trust me :D

haha, cheers!
    Had a quick look at a review for Battlefield 2....... gotta admit I'm drooling at that one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Sgtshaft

As above except for Doom3, I bloody hated that game.

Far Cry (one of the best)
    Rainbow Six Raven Shield
    Swat 4
    Rome Total War
    Silient Hunter 3 (A fantastic subsim)
    IL2 Sturmovik & Pacific Fighters (Fantastic WW2 Flight Sims)
    Lock On (modern flight sim)
    Call Of Duty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

As Above, Especially Doom3, I Bloody Loved That Game.

medal of honour pacific assault,
    Civilisation(1 2 or 3) personally i loved the first one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

If you liked Rainbow 6 then you might wanna try SWAT 4. It's a pretty good tactical shooter, but can be a bit frustrating when you keep getting penalised for 'unauthorized use of dealy force'. Download the demo and give it a try.

As for Doom 3 though, if you want to marvel at how far PC gfx have advanced then you should definitely get it. If you want a game that's enjoyable for more than a week then get something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭DamoKen

whiskeyman wrote:
    haha, cheers!
    Had a quick look at a review for Battlefield 2....... gotta admit I'm drooling at that one!
    If you like FPS style games I would advise as well as those already mentioned Far Cry, set some new benchmarks as far as graphics were concerned, damn good game too!
    If you're in any way into RPG's definitely get Rome Total War, insanely addictive, also though a few years older, get Medieval Total war which was the previous title in the total war series. The graphics might not be a patch on the later Rome total war, but for actual campaign gameplay and AI during battles I find it far superior.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Chronicles of Riddick seems fairly cool.
    Well worth the €15 they're charging on play.com anyway.

I'd recommend FarCry over Doom3 - far superior game

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Yeah, Chronicles of Riddick is great.
    HL2, BF2 (online).

Don't get Doom 3, just borrow it off a friend, it seriously is not worth buying.

Are you looking for any types of games, or just FPS? There are some good RPG and Strategy games out there aswell, like Rome Total War, Dawn of War, Neverwinter Nights, Knights of the Old Republic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I thought i would hate Doom 3 but did enjoy it. However I have to say it isn't worth the full asking price.

Someone recommended Call of Duty already. Get the expansion pack as well. It's almost as good as the original.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

koneko wrote:

Don't get Doom 3, just borrow it off a friend, it seriously is not worth buying.
    Ah, koneko, my old nemesis. we meet again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

fps

Halflife 2
    Farcry
    call of duty (plus expansion)

RPG
    Never winter nights + expansions
    knights of the old republic 1&2
    (check massivly multiplayer forum if thats what yer in to)

RTS
    Command and Conquer Generals + zero hour
    Rome total war
    empire earth 2
    Homeworld 2

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Odd that nobodies mentioned World Of Warcraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

We're not looking to ruin his life.

thanks for all these titles!
    Now, wheres the best place to get most of them?
    There's a Game down the road, but prices there are usually crazy.
    Where the cheapest generally for PC games online?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

www.play.com is a good place to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭smokingman

If you really want to push your new hardware :

GTR - The best Racing game on ANY platform!

I recommend a force feedback steering wheel for the even more amazing feel!

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Kare Bear

Theres a few coming out at the end of the year.Keep an eye out.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Diss

Can't go wrong with GTA:SA, in fact might as well get the rest of the GTAs as they can be picked up cheaply by now.

DOOM3 isn't really as good as everyone wants it to be, if you get FarCry stick with it and you'll learn to love it, HL2 is a no brainer. Fantastic game.

Civilisation 3 will suck in your free time like a black hole. But so worth it.
    Generals isn't that good. Horribly unbalanced. If you want a C&C game RA2 is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

whiskeyman wrote:
    thanks for all these titles!
    Now, wheres the best place to get most of them?
    There's a Game down the road, but prices there are usually crazy.
    Where the cheapest generally for PC games online?

i bought battlefield of www.cdwow.ie was only €35.99 with a 2 Euro voucher ([linkd=this thread]http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=260732[/linkd]), €8 cheaper than play.com. Was delivered in a week.

• Advertisement

MrPinK wrote:
    If you liked Rainbow 6 then you might wanna try SWAT 4. It's a pretty good tactical shooter, but can be a bit frustrating when you keep getting penalised for 'unauthorized use of dealy force'. Download the demo and give it a try.

As for Doom 3 though, if you want to marvel at how far PC gfx have advanced then you should definitely get it. If you want a game that's enjoyable for more than a week then get something else.

Just got SWAT 4 - wow!! Brilliant!!!
    Waiting for Rainbow 6 Raven Shield, but this really has won me over so far.
    Gameplay and graphics really something else.

Advertisement