Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Goat Spectre in Roscommon

• 18-07-2005 3:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭

I've recently heard of a harrowing experience undergone by three seperate people on two seperate ocassions involving some kind of spectral goat on a farm in roscommon.
    Apparently the creature, a bizarre manifestation with the body, more or less, of a man and the facial features, apparently, of a goat, can zip from one end of the field to another and moves upright and on all fours.

Just wanted to ask, has anyone ever heard of anything like this? Or is there any place, say online perhaps, that I can look it up?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭solas

not sure..maybe check out pooka stories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Sapien

I've recently heard of a harrowing experience undergone by three seperate people on two seperate ocassions involving some kind of spectral goat on a farm in roscommon.
    Apparently the creature, a bizarre manifestation with the body, more or less, of a man and the facial features, apparently, of a goat, can zip from one end of the field to another and moves upright and on all fours.

Just wanted to ask, has anyone ever heard of anything like this? Or is there any place, say online perhaps, that I can look it up?
    Whatever about phantasmagorical remnants of the departed, paranormalists have no business dealing with an entity that manifests as theriomorphic.

If this thing exists outside of the pareidolic hysteria of agrarian perambulists, and if there is any reason whatsoever to interfere with it beyond amateur curiosity, I advise that a magickian or demonologist be sought.

pareidolic hysteria of agrarian perambulists
    could you use words that are in the dictionary for ease of reference.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭seabee

Are you from Roscommon Carpocrates? Where about did these incidents occur?

solas wrote:
    could you use words that are in the dictionary for ease of reference.
    Thanks.

"... pareidolic hysteria of agrarian perambulists..."

• Advertisement

you bored today sapien?

Variants: phouka, puca

No fairy is more feared in Ireland than the pooka. This may be because it is always out and about after nightfall, creating harm and mischief, and because it can assume a variety of terrifying forms.

The guise in which it most often appears, however, is that of a sleek, dark horse with sulphurous yellow eyes and a long wild mane. In this form, it roams large areas of countryside at night, tearing down fences and gates, scattering livestock in terror, trampling crops and generally doing damage around remote farms.

In remote areas of County Down, the pooka becomes a small, deformed goblin who demands a share of the crop at the end of the harvest: for this reason several strands, known as the 'pooka's share', are left behind by the reapers. In parts of County Laois, the pooka becomes a huge, hairy bogeyman who terrifies those abroad at night; in Waterford and Wexford, it appears as an eagle with a massive wingspan; and in Roscommon, as a black goat with curling horns.

from here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭carpocrates

I'm not from Roscommon and I don't want to give any names or exact locations etc...

Sapien, if the translation of what you're saying is: leave this the hell alone, then you're too right and I'm not one to go poking around. I have been struck by a morbid curiosity though.

The pooka thing seems reasonable actually from what I've read. Fairies though?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

You actually believe in these things?

Sapien, if the translation of what you're saying is: leave this the hell alone, then you're too right and I'm not one to go poking around. I have been struck by a morbid curiosity though.
    Not really, merely that there are certain people more equipped to deal with these things than others, even eager to do so at times. Certainly, people with no experience of the supernatural should stay well away, and even paranormalists, accustomed to other kinds of "disturbance", should seek out the aid of an adept before an encounter with an entity that demonstrates demonic characteristics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

Do these things really exist? I assume they are quite rare then, because reports of them are not common these days.

Dagon wrote:
    Do these things really exist? I assume they are quite rare then, because reports of them are not common these days.
    Yes, these things do exist, though in most cases they can only be encountered through deliberate and difficult procedures. It is rare for them to present themselves spontaneously and to the uninitiated or psychically unendowed, and it is a cause for concern when they do. The word one uses to describe them depends on the paradigm in which one interprets them - spirits, demons, thoughtforms, egrigores, faeries - but all can be understood as being effectively equivalent beyond the limitations of cultural reference or dogmatic baggage. It is anomalous for them to be perceived by anyone other than those you actively seek them out, and potentially dangerous to any who expose themselves unwisely.

I've never seen a fairy so I can't say that they exist but it seems that there are a whole lot of farmers out there with similar stories. I've heard of tales where a farmer goes into a field and gets lost and ends up spending the night there because he cant find the way out. Farmers are very superstitious when it comes to such things, in particular they won't go near fairy rings or cut down fairy trees so there seems to be a healthy respect for some old customs among that particular culture.
    I always figured that these tales were derivitives of some magic mushroom experience (farmers in fields) and as a result are subjective experiences but for those who believe are very real.
    I guess all these things only exist if you give them permission to (believe in them).

Sapien, if the translation of what you're saying is:leave this the hell alone, then you're too right and I'm not one to go poking around.
    I think for the most part these customs used to serve a purpose by teaching respect for all things that belong to the earth, a very worthwhile tradition among farmers. If you read a little bit about pooka tales the majority of them have some sort of resolution by either leaving a portion of a fields harvest aside for the fairies or by recogising the significance of having such a visit. It could be just to teach a lesson, be it respect or as a messenger of some sort.
    Tallesian might have more to say about it (paganism)

or no doubt other farmers of the locality might have some answers.

Advertisement