Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

home wireless question ( signal strength )

• 18-07-2005 3:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭

hi - i recently attempted to change the setup in my house from a simple crossover cable network between the main pc and a laptop to system based on a 4 port wired router which also had wireless capabilities. - both time and money were in short supply so i ended up buying a us robotics "kit" from compustore for E109 without really researching anything else on the market. the router part of the kit seemed to work fine but the usb wireless pen part of the setup wouldnt install properly - it took ages to get a network up and running and even at that it crashed the pc( laptop ) all the time ( win98se) and had a bad signal strength- so i got in deeper and bought a pcmcia wireless card instead of the pen which installed a good bit quicker than the pen ( which was also practically impossible to uninstall - had to do it in safe mode ???!!!) - but now my problem is that the signal strength doesnt seem to be strong enough to suit my house - the network often cuts out when i go out to the extremeties of the house and the whole thing doesnt seem very stable -

my question is this - how would i determine which part of the setup i need to replace and with what - ie the belkin pcmcia card ( E39.99 from argos ) or the us robotics router ( 109 for the kit from compustore - i think argos do the same one for 115 incase anyones looking at the catalog ) - or both

if i have to spend a lot more money then i will but i dont want to waste any more money so i would really appreciate a bit of basic advice.

my house is a 2500sqr ft dormer bungalow and i have 2 decks at the back and end of the house where i would like the signal to be strong so i can access music there using my laptop - also it would be good to be able to get a signal in the shed which is maybe 80 ft away from the signal point ( which by the way is a more or less central location in the house )

ultimately i will have wireless broadband coming into the house and will have it distributed to about 4 points ( wired ) throughout the house and also to a wireless laptop or two ( the part that i am setting up at the moment ) - and also i want to have file and print sharing available throught the network

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

TBH the best way to start is with a floor plan of the property and work from there. Post it up here if you like. Mark out the areas that will be used most. Walls, wall thickness, material, doorways, metal beams etc etc.

with that amount of area, you really have little choice but to use a few AP's for good, even coverage. This of course means getting cat 5 to the AP's!

You can use repeaters, but they can be problematic and are a far from ideal solution.

Advertisement