Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BTCC in Mondello this weekend!

Options
  • 18-07-2005 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭

Well, it's that time of year again! :)

The British Touring Car Championship is on route to mondello this weekend.
    Lots of changes this year from last, should be a great weekend of motorsport :)

More info here: modello.ie and here: btcc.net

If you book now, its a tenner cheaper than if you pay on the days.

Also looks like there's gonna be a cool after-race party in TIME: in Naas on Sunday night.

Anyone else going?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

I've gone to it in 2001, 2002 and last year. Missed it in 2003 and it looks like I'm going to miss it this year as well, unfortunately. Pity as it tends to be some great racing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Funxy

I would love to go but cant make it, im sure it would be a great day! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

i would love to go but it looks like I'll be elsewhere for the weekend :( would love it

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cond0r

Jaysus ye're all gonna be away :/

It looks like it should be very good this year alright.. lots of new cars in it.
    New Astra Sports Hatch, Lexus IS200's, Integra Type R's instead of Civics etc etc

Should be some excellent racing as long as the weather holds up! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

I'm going - both days! Should be excellent :)

With any luck the pesky showers that are forecast for Saturday won't last and will give way to sun.... and some great racing on Sunday!

Not sure about those Astra Sports hatches though :confused:

• Advertisement

Yeah damn straight.. mondello is a very bleak place when its windy & raining :(

I'm not too sure about those Astra sport hatches either, especially judging by the standings of the VX Racing drivers in the championship.. looks like they made a mistake changing to those. Then again they would have been forced to change by Vauxhall, as the Astra Coupe is no more afaik.

On the flipside, Halfords Racing look like they've done everything right this season with the new Integra R's, they're running away with the championship.

Either way it will be a superb weekend of exhaust fumes and burning clutches :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 halman

At Coolock Halfords we have 16 tickets for the touring car championship
    to give away. Call in offer applies to the Coolock store offer applies to members of clubs just show your card, first come first served.

halman wrote:
    At Coolock Halfords we have 16 tickets for the touring car championship
    to give away. Call in offer applies to the Coolock store offer applies to members of clubs just show your card, first come first served.

Ummm.. what kind of "clubs" ?

Too bad I booked my tickets :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

I'll be up in Northern Ireland,probably watching much better racing at a better track.

But i still would like to go

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

My mate lives close by, hopefully I can have his Family Pass, wahoo for free access. Gonna break in the new 512Meg card for the camera too. Excellent.

• Advertisement

Beekay wrote:
    I'll be up in Northern Ireland,probably watching much better racing at a better track.

But i still would like to go
    Would you like to enlighten us about this much better racing at this much better track you speak of?

My mate lives close by, hopefully I can have his Family Pass, wahoo for free access.
    Damn you all with your free tickets, support the motorsport industry! ;)

Cond0r wrote:
    Would you like to enlighten us about this much better racing at this much better track you soeak of?

Its Formula Vee up in Kirkistown on saturday.Very good racing :D

Cond0r wrote:
    Would you like to enlighten us about this much better racing at this much better track you speak of?

I would indeed.
    Its Irish Formula Vee up in Kirkistown.Very Very good racing is to be had :D

Formula Vee? Better than Touring Cars? Hmmm matter of opinion I suppose. I went to see them in Mondello a few months back.. and the porsches were more fun :)

Personally I have to say I find the Formula Vee's extremely boring and would much prefer BTCC.

What date was that?
    Don't get me wrong,BTCC are great.Maybe i just find the Vee's more exciting because im actually supporting someone in them

I'm not too sure what date it was to be honest... I think it was back in april/may time. I can totally understand that it'd be much more exciting if you know one of the drivers alright :)

well i'd definately recommend you give them another chance.They only have one round left at mondello on the 11th of September.
    And if you want a car to support,The all black No.3 car(Kershaw Hydraulics) is a good one.He is on this board actually(Kersh).Im his Bro. :D

Beekay wrote:
    well i'd definately recommend you give them another chance.They only have one round left at mondello on the 11th of September.
    And if you want a car to support,The all black No.3 car(Kershaw Hydraulics) is a good one.He is on this board actually(Kersh).Im his Bro. :D
    I might indeed go along so :)

Looks like there's gonna be some extra fun this weekend, just got this from here:
    As in previous years one of the most popular parts of the weekend will be the Pit Walkabout where the public can meet the BTCC stars and get close to the cars in the pit garages. For fans of modified cars and the growing sport of drifting, a drift demonstration by the HKS / Rampage Drift Car will take place after the pit walkabout and this will be followed by more excitement with an aerobatic display by Irelands top stunt pilot Eddie Goggins.
    The timetable for both days is there also!

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

A stunt pilot? Sure, what more could we ask for?!

It's unlikely that anyone will want to be distracted from the racing on the ground, but a couple of barrel rolls and tailslides might be good for a few skyward glances :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

LOL, I was up with Eddie earlier in the year. I guess he got his plane fixed as the canopy came off and hit the tail recently, during flight!

This good stuff, plane can pull 10G, only attempted a meagre 6 while I was up there :(

• Advertisement

Ya lucky ba$tard, Souper! :D

I wonder did Mondello decide to add the stunt pilot to the line-up as a way of attracting more visitors to Mondello and away from the Red Bull Air Race down in Cashel on the same day? ;) I put off a planned trip to Mondello this weekend in the hope of getting tickets in the draw for the Air Race instead. Needless to say, I missed out and now I won't get to go to either! And now Mondello decides to go and add a stunt pilot to the line-up anyway! Just my feckin' luck, isn't it! :(

lol jaysus aiden that's awful bad luck! I assume yer man is coming up from Cashel for the stunt flying.. or is in the vicinity for that reason..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

All I can say is thank god I didn't pay the €25 admission fee (got a complimentary ticket).....racin was SO boring! Spent most of the day walking around the car parks checkin out the spectators cars (ALOT more interesting).
    Highlight of the day had to be the Nissan Silvia drifting....oh and the new M5!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Ya lucky ba$tard, Souper! :D

I wonder did Mondello decide to add the stunt pilot to the line-up as a way of attracting more visitors to Mondello and away from the Red Bull Air Race down in Cashel on the same day? ;) I put off a planned trip to Mondello this weekend in the hope of getting tickets in the draw for the Air Race instead. Needless to say, I missed out and now I won't get to go to either! And now Mondello decides to go and add a stunt pilot to the line-up anyway! Just my feckin' luck, isn't it! :(

To make things worse, they didnt even check for tickets at the Red Bull event! The traffic was incredible. Ended up going to cork to get home to Dublin, faster and less stressfull.

Red Bull has their own "World" series, Eddie Goggins wasnt in it for whatever reason. Amazing though, most of the pilots in the series are 50 years old or so. That gives me 25 years of experience to catch up ;)

fletch wrote:
    All I can say is thank god I didn't pay the €25 admission fee (got a complimentary ticket).....racin was SO boring! Spent most of the day walking around the car parks checkin out the spectators cars (ALOT more interesting).
    Highlight of the day had to be the Nissan Silvia drifting....oh and the new M5!
    I thought yer man drifting in the Nissan was a pile of sh*t.. he wasn't even drifting properly, and when it started to drizzle he started arsing it up altogether.

The two M5's there were absolutely gorgeous to look at indeed.. as was the Monaro VXR and the 911 GT3 Safety car.

As for the racing, some of the races weren't great.. but the last touring car race was fantastic.. I don't know where you were watching it from! :)

Cond0r wrote:
    I thought yer man drifting in the Nissan was a pile of sh*t.. he wasn't even drifting properly, and when it started to drizzle he started arsing it up altogether.

The two M5's there were absolutely gorgeous to look at indeed.. as was the Monaro VXR and the 911 GT3 Safety car.

As for the racing, some of the races weren't great.. but the last touring car race was fantastic.. I don't know where you were watching it from! :)
    Was watching from the first corner....bored me to tears tbh, Monaro was summit else also.....anyone know, do Mondello own those safety cars or the BTCC association?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

btcc. Mondellos is a Rover 25.... :rolleyes:

Kersh wrote:
    btcc. Mondellos is a Rover 25.... :rolleyes:
    lol now there is a surprise....

fletch wrote:
    Was watching from the first corner....bored me to tears tbh

That's your problem right there. You can't just sit and watch from the one spot all day, you've got to do what I do and walk around the circuit and watch from various corners.

When I go to Mondello, first thing I do is go into the paddock and spend some time looking around at all the various cars and teams' setups and get some pictures. I'll usually watch a practice session or a race or whatever then from inside the paddock at Paddock Corner (second last corner on the track, fastest on the circuit), watch one from inside the paddock at Dunlop (last corner) and maybe watch one from inside the paddock looking towards the first corner, getting pictures all the time.

Then I'll leave the paddock (usually after the pitlane walkabout if there is one) and head out to the back of the circuit and watch at Tarzan 1 and 2 (or 7a and 7b as they usually tend to rename the corners when the BTCC is in town). I think that's usually the best place to watch the racing at, to be honest. The cars come down the long straight and the fastest part of the track, through the kink at Daly's Drift, then have to break hard for the double apex Tarzan 1 and 2 corners before powering out and on up to the Birrane's Bends chicane. Usually you get to see a fair bit of overtaking into Tarzan due to the heavy breaking into the corner. Great spot for pictures, too, as you're really close to the track there. Then, just turn around and you can see the cars coming back through Paddock, rising the crest and turning into Dunlop. Best spot on the (International) track to watch by far, though it does tend to get very breezy and you'll get very wet out there if it starts raining. I often got some right soakings standing out there, unfortunately, but that's the price I'm more than willing to pay to see some good action and to get some great pics.

As I said fletch, your mistake was watching at the first corner. Despite the layout, which you would expect would lead some great overtaking (a tight hairpin after a long striaght), it doesn't seem to happen much there, especially with the BTCC boys. If you want to see some decent action you've got to go take a hike out to the back of the circuit, I'm afraid.

• Advertisement

That's your problem right there. You can't just sit and watch from the one spot all day, .
    Well I know for the next time now I suppose

Advertisement