Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EuroSkynet?

• 18-07-2005 6:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭

considering getting satellite broadband with thier company www.euroskynet.com
    and have been reading up a bit about them on here but i just have a few questions:

- is the installation easy to do?
    - will i need to hire someone to do it for me?
    - how does uploading work? freephone number? is it via isdn or 56k modem?
    - reliability?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

bump

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Someone here from Kerry got it....search for euroskynet.com....I'll do it for you then.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/search.php?searchid=892677

Give "netwhizkid" a PM for more info!
    Have fun!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

that search is broken that you supplied

also if uploading is 1800 number i might just do it but i cant understansd why cant ya just upload to the satellite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Where are you based?
    Have you exhausted all the Fixed Wireless options??

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭SparkyLarks

I haven't uses euroskyDSl but I've used similar servies with the same hardware. There probably reselling someone elses stuff. I can't remember who at the moment but I've seen that pricing structure before.The satelite servie comes from EutlSat who are a well established reputable company so no major worries there.

What they are offering is one way satellite broadband. you download over the satellite but upload over the phone. It's great compared to a dial up alone (with a few limitations, high pings( 300-500ms) but if you can get wireless or Fixed line then do.

To use a two way satellite communication, the equipment is much more expensive. It also has an even higher ping time( because the signal has to travel to the satelltite and back twice.

The one way system uses a sky dish, and a Indoor unit( Don't get the USB IDU it's a mess) The PCI card is better. There is better equipment out there for one way satellite but it's not used that much in Germany.

Setting up the System is resonably straight forward most of the time, can get messy with older PC's, due to USB conflicts mainly. I'll PM you details if you want, but there's loads of info out there.You might want to get a satellite installer to put up and point the dish,costs about 100 euro. or you can do it yourself it you can get a satellite meter.

So basicially 1 way satellite gives you fast downloads and pretty fast browsing, but it's no good for gaming. What do you want to use the internet for??

Also you have to provide the upload so you need a dialup account ( form eircom or Someon else) and the costs associated with it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Most 1 way sat cards are of the Technisat Skystar series and cost about €50 + delivery and you can use your PC to record BBC TV programs as well :)

http://www.dvbshop.net/index.php?cPath=1_10&osCsid=c5f33415e59500669906ceef4417aca7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭jamesd

Anyone using this service - Im very interested in it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

see cpsat or silvermead as well

www.cpsat.co.uk or www.silvermead.co.uk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Originally posted by Sponge Bob
    see cpsat or silvermead as well

www.cpsat.co.uk or www.silvermead.co.uk

Bah ! forget them half the service twice the price, Skydsl from Euroskynet is the way to go, i'm on classic skydsl 1 for €6.90 per month check this out. Before you go and get this ask around local Sky installer to see if they can install the 80cm dish to Telecom 2D at 8 ° degrees west. I couldn't get this done so i had to buy a satellite alignment meter off e-bay and do it myself. If you were to get it, i'd advise you sign up now as they are giving the equipment and start up costs for free this will save you nearly €200 all you'll have to do is get the dish www.satellite.ie should be able to help or tony on the satellite forum. It is a great service Pm me if you need any help/info.

Advertisement