Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The New Joker

• 18-07-2005 6:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭

Ok me and a couple of m8's have been racking our brains trying to figure out who would be cast as the Joker in the next installment of the Batman series. We couldn’t come up with anyone really suitable but then I heard that Sean Penn might be attached to the project now. I would never have thought of casting him as the Joker but tbh now that I think about it I think he is the perfect choice. What do ye guys think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I thought Andrew Koenig in the Batman: Dead End short film was brilliant, and I certainly wouldn't mind seeing him on the big screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

I thought Andrew Koenig in the Batman: Dead End short film was brilliant, and I certainly wouldn't mind seeing him on the big screen.

You are right .. he was pretty amazing but I dont think that they are going to give the role of the Joker to a virtual unknown. Its too much of a selling point for a Big Budget movie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Mark Hamill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Dr Cox from scrubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Maynard.

whoa! hold on, they arent remaking the joker saga are they!? :eek: Surely the joker's card was to lead into the original Batman film..

Link to info? :confused:

• Advertisement

Maynard. wrote:
    whoa! hold on, they arent remaking the joker saga are they!? :eek: Surely the joker's card was to lead into the original Batman film..
    I assume the same... but a remake wouldnt be half bad as long as they captured Nicholsons attitude and face well

"Ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?"

Maynard. wrote:

Link to info? :confused:

No afaik these movies are not to be considered as part of the other Batman series. They are going to be a stand alone series. I thought that this would be quite obvious due to the significantly different approach to the Batman character that Christopher Nolan took.

btw this is where I came across the rumour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Maynard wrote:
    Surely the joker's card was to lead into the original Batman film..
    Slept through the scene showing the Wayne's deaths, did we?
    Rhyme wrote:
    as long as they captured Nicholsons attitude and face well
    No, no, no, no, no. Different Joker for a different movie. I want a Batman movie with an actor putting out his version of the Joker, not a guy trying to be Nicholson being the Joker. I already have Burton's Batman for Nicholson being the Joker. Let someone else do it their way.
    Rhyme wrote:
    Mark Hamill
    Too old. Did a great job on the animated series, but that was 10 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Well whoever it is will have big boots to fill. My first thought was Hamill as well, he has the perfect voice, but maybe he is a little old. Johnny Depp is eccentric enough to be the Joker but I don't think he has the look about him.
    A couple of fan-favourites seem to be Adrien Brody and Crispin Glover

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

they are going to do the joker how he should have been. a manic freak!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,539 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Nicholson was 51 when he did it, and Hamill is only 54! :)

I think they need a much younger actor, though....

ofc they need a younger actor .. the movies are covering the earlier period of batmans life.

i have heard a lot about paul bettany doing it.

I agrre with what IGN said. Alan cumming would fit the role brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

evad_lhorg wrote:
    Alan cumming would fit the role brilliant.
    He has the face, and can certainly do the OTT, but I haven't seen him in anything that might convince me he could carry the role's dark side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭K!LL!@N

Alan Cumming is too camp for the role.

I don't know about Sean Penn, he didn't seem like a bad choice at first but i think Adrien Brody would be great.
    He showed a kind of dark/manic side in The Jacket and he definitely has the look for it.
    The slightly gaunt face, the nose, the smile, the slicked back hair.
    In my mind the Joker was always thin and gaunt, almost frail looking but still carried an air of menace.
    The guy from batman: dead end was perfect but i don't think he'd get the nod for the big screen.
    But i think Brody could play the role in same vein.

Nicholson's performance, while enjoyable, was too over the top for me.

I'm really looking forward to the next film.
    Hopefully they'll get the ball rolling soon.

Killian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

evad_lhorg wrote:

Yes! Bettany would be perfect. He's tall and skinny, a fantastic actor and I could easily see him playing the psychotic Joker.

+ he's British and Chris Nolan seems to like to surround himself with lots of Brits.

Adrien Brody would, similarly, be a good choice too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Danger_Dave

Love to See mark hammil even if hes a tad to old but doubt it will happen. No comes to mind that could take on the roll. Just on the fact i love the cartoon id mark hammil, its not like they'll do a sequel with the joker

Yes! Perfect Joker right there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

MC FLY!!!! ^^^^^ yes good choice

Adrien Brody couldnt do justice to the part at all.

Also Denis Quaid, Nick Nolte??? what about Hayden Christenson Church(<sp?) or is he playing The Scarecrow?

OR>>>>>>..........

Benico Del Toro??????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭David Stewart

Well whoever it is will have big boots to fill. My first thought was Hamill as well, he has the perfect voice, but maybe he is a little old. Johnny Depp is eccentric enough to be the Joker but I don't think he has the look about him.
    Johnny Depp would be perfect as The Riddler.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

What about the guy in the movie thats out now?
    The one who killed his parents
    Why not keep the same actor? Is that character not who the joker was? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

He was shot when leaving the court room. I assume he died.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

Oh yeah, i remember that...but i thought he would've been the joker...

Makaveli wrote:
    He was shot when leaving the court room. I assume he died.
    But in Burtons wasnt the
    killer
    the Joker? hence my quote "Ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Well I haven't read Legends of the Dark Knight but
    I'm guessing the Joker wasn't the murderer in the series

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

2 superb choices.
    In my mind, Crispin Glover seems to have been born to play that role (feature wise anyway... i'm not entirely convinced of his acting talents)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭weemcd

Id probably give del toro or johnny depp the role.

Might be onto something with Adrien Brody.

Could Edward Norton pull off the role? He's probably not excentric enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

del toro? can't picture that at all. wouldn't like to see depp in the role either tbh. plus he's probably busy enough with two pirates.. films on the way.

Adrian Brody or Crispin Glover seem like good choices alright. But can either of these two guys play crazy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭weemcd

actually after reading the wiki page on the joker here

Willem Dafoe would make an absolutly savage older joker:

HarleyqLG.jpg

I dont really see why the joker would have to be someone younger, when you consider the age Jack Nicholson was for the original.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

I can't remember where I read it, but someone suggested Prince Vince - Vincent Cassel - and that's stuck with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Joeface

i will prob get linched for sugesting this, but the Angel guy ... David Boreneaz(not sure of spelling) , with how dark Begins was , i kind think the joker will be more sinister and evil than , Jack Nick's brillant crazy insane power mad joker. and David can kind pull that stuff of pretty well , i dont think they will go the make up root either (clown paint)

Joeface wrote:
    i will prob get linched for sugesting this, but the Angel guy ... David Boreneaz(not sure of spelling) , with how dark Begins was , i kind think the joker will be more sinister and evil than , Jack Nick's brillant crazy insane power mad joker. and David can kind pull that stuff of pretty well , i dont think they will go the make up root either (clown paint)
    I can see where you are coming from but ill have to disagree, i dont think he could pull of any kind of manic character... too calm.

Kevin Bacon

why does everyone keep going on about the original films and the fact that it wouldnt play into Burtons films.

THESE FILMS ARE NOTHING TO DO WITH ANY OF THE OTHER FILMS!!! THIS IS A NEW STORY! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭dearg_doom

ObeyGiant wrote:
    I can't remember where I read it, but someone suggested Prince Vince - Vincent Cassel - and that's stuck with me.
    Vinz Cassel would be class for the role!

ObeyGiant wrote:

I can see him in the role, but I can't hear him in the role. He has a very thick accent, and I'm not sure he can disguise it. Fantastic actor mind you, but I just think that Crispin Glover is far more suited to the role.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Joeface wrote:
    It's not make up. The Jokers skin is actually white and his hair green from the chemicals.

It wouldn't be the joker if he didn't have the white skin.

I read that they won't be killing the Joker off either, which is good. And the third film will be him being brought to trial by district attourney Harvey Dent who will subsquently get scared in the court room by the Joker and become Two-face as the villian in the third film.

evad_lhorg wrote:
    why does everyone keep going on about the original films and the fact that it wouldnt play into Burtons films.

THESE FILMS ARE NOTHING TO DO WITH ANY OF THE OTHER FILMS!!! THIS IS A NEW STORY! :rolleyes:

In fact, Burton's take on things was new.
    As far as i know, the Joker/Jack Napier didn't kill Bruce's parents.
    It was Joe Chill, from the current film.
    There are a number of variations on the theme, but it's pretty much agreed that Joe Chill was the killer of the Waynes.

Killian

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

evad_lhorg wrote:

Ah no Joker was evil not camp remember what campness did to the last two films.
    Campness = Bad Batman Movies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭mwnger

There's only one man for the role in my view. And that's Steve Buscemi - he's got the teeth, the googly eyes and most importantly he's a superb actor.

And let's hope they give the Joker some funny gags in this one. His one-liners in Burton's were terrible, though Jack managed to gain a few laughs on the strength of his delivery alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Good call mwnger. Steve Buscemi would be perfect for the joker. He's got the look and he's good at playing the ould manic, crazy, borderline schizo kinda character.

• Advertisement

weemcd wrote:

Willem Dafoe would make an absolutly savage older joker

Rhyme wrote:

Kevin Bacon
    mwnger wrote:
    Steve Buscemi

There's 3 great choices I never thought of. Also....what about Stephen Dorf? He was great as a kind of humorous psycho in the first Blade.

Also....what about Stephen Dorf? He was great as a kind of humorous psycho in the first Blade.

He's a pathetic actor though.

There's 3 great choices I never thought of. Also....what about Stephen Dorf? He was great as a kind of humorous psycho in the first Blade.

wtf .. he would suck sooooooo bad .. one of the worst actors around (there is a reason he never is in a decent movie anymore and has resorted to doing britany spears music vids)

William Defeo is too old.

Kevin Bacon isnt manic enough (I cant see him laughing hysterically)

Steve Buscemi isnt scary enough

Adrian Brody isnt scary enough either

Paul Bettany is just wrong!

Mark Hamill has the voice but looks all wrong.

Imo Sean Penn and Crispin Glover are defo the best suggestions so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Forgetting about "the Joker look" why do people think Crispin Glover would be any good in the role?

I mean, is he particularly good acting-wise?

Anything ive seen him (not much admittedly) he hasn't really stood out to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

I was discussing this with a mate a few weeks ago. We decided upon Jason Lee, as he is tall and thin, a good actor and he was great as the voice of Syndrome in the Incredibles. With hindsight though, I'd probably go with Adrien Brody.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

the joker isnt supposed to be scary, he's supposed to be sinister. I think Penn would be good, Bushemi, maybe. Brody, maybe. Vince Cassell looks perfect but I don't know what kind of an actor he is.
    I hope they don't go with Cummings, I don't think he can act as anything other than a super-camp villain in a kids film.

I wonder what The Joker will look like, as in will he have the white skin and green hair, and how will it be explained? Will it be like in the original Batman, will he just be a freak, or will he just wear the make up as a disguise and memorable image (the whole dramatic flair thing).
    What's the reason in the original comics?

flogen wrote:
    the joker isnt supposed to be scary, he's supposed to be sinister. I think Penn would be good, Bushemi, maybe. Brody, maybe. Vince Cassell looks perfect but I don't know what kind of an actor he is.
    I hope they don't go with Cummings, I don't think he can act as anything other than a super-camp villain in a kids film.

I wonder what The Joker will look like, as in will he have the white skin and green hair, and how will it be explained? Will it be like in the original Batman, will he just be a freak, or will he just wear the make up as a disguise and memorable image (the whole dramatic flair thing).

The Joker will always have white skin and green hair, regardless of what else he wears.
    It's not make up.
    He's not a clown.
    The skin and hair change is caused by chemicals/toxic waste.
    He's either pushed into it or jumps in, in order to make an escape, depending on which story you read.

Originally he was a murderous maniac, killing for the fun of it.
    Later on he was toned down so much so that he rarely actually killed anymore, that was left up to his henchmen.
    He became more of a comedic figure as portrayed in the early Batman tv show.
    A master thief with a wicked sense of humour.

People really need to disregard Nicholson's portrayal, that was Burton's own take on it and not particularly true to his origins.

For me, in no particular order, i think Adrien Brody, Sean Penn and, one that i don't think has been mentioned, Tim Roth would all be pretty good choices.

Killian

flogen wrote:

ofc he is supposed to be scary .. he is a homicdal maniac and a sadist. If that isnt scary then I dont know what is. Maybe you are not familiar with the more modern view of him in many of the graphic novels and comic books.

Forgetting about "the Joker look" why do people think Crispin Glover would be any good in the role?

I mean, is he particularly good acting-wise?

Anything ive seen him (not much admittedly) he hasn't really stood out to be honest.

If you want to see Crispin Glover in action, then you could try Willard. Not an amazing film by any stretch of the imaginationary glands, but it'll give you a decent idea of what a good actor Glover is and just how creepy he can be.

In fact, looking over other websites, he really does seem to be a fan favorite for the role of The Joker, so much so that someone photoshopped a fantastic mock poster of Crispin as the Joker from an image in Willard:

joker22fy4jd.jpg

Nothing short of utterly maniacle, creepy and fantastic!
    Playboy wrote:
    If that isnt scary then I dont know what is.

june_brown.jpg

*Shudder*

That's really well done!

• Advertisement
Advertisement