Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Babyshambles - F**k Forever

• 18-07-2005 6:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭

Ok first off there is no doubt it's a great tune but is it the classic that it has been hyped up for the past 9 months?

I've heard them play it live twice and it was absolutley f**king outstanding, no doubt that the hype is deserved but after the first couple of times hearing the recorded version I became doubtful about whether it was that good or not, sounded very messy and lack the general brilliance and angst that it had when played live. However after about 6 listens now it has grown on me so much that IMO it's the anthem of the year. Lots of debates are spreading about how good F**k Forever really is. Well is it the classic anthem its been hyped up to be or is it a disapointment?

BTW I don't want to hear one person refer to Drugs or Kate Moss, its about the music we're talking about here which sadly not enough people ever speak about when discussing Pete Doherty.

How good is F**k Forever 13 votes

It's a f**king anthem!
    0% 0 votes
    Good but not as good as it could have been
    100% 13 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

I never really thought it was that good. Certainly no Killamangiro anyway. It's been released I take it...? Many b-sides? / What are they called?

/me opens P2P program.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Pete Doherty

Pete doherty is a ****in legend!!!! and **** forever is a class song!!!! one of babyshambles finest. u ever hear it live? it`s great when u hear all the drunk fans mumbling the words...... and eh, yeh, great song!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭weemcd

might give this a listen. as much as i want to dislike doherty etc. some of the libertines stuff is growing on me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭spiderlegs

Have to say,I frickin' love it. It's very catchy.Video's quite odd though..........It's hard to judge it fairly because Babyshambles have been so hyped up, it's hard to hear it without high expectations.I'm a fan of the song though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Pete doherty is a ****in legend!!!!

Bob Dylan's a legend.
    John Lennon's a legend.
    Jim Morrisson's a legend.

Pete Doherty is not and never will be. Babyshambles are a pretty piss poor band IMO, based more on hype than actual musical achievements. 'F*ck Forever' is interesting but it's by no means a classic and is probably getting more attention than it should due to it's oh-so-provocative title.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 blue meanie

pete doherty is a legend in his own time people need to get of his back for whatever reason whether its the drugs or his social life the man can put some great tunes together nd can write some mean lyrics. ( soory zane for bringing up the taboo's of his personel life). but i just cant get over how so many people judge him before even istening to single song of his. whether its the libertines which where great or if its babyshambles the man just stands out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Sweetness!

I like the song but it's not my fav Babyshambles song!

the song rocks. is there news on the release of the album

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Pete Doherty

PiE wrote:
    Bob Dylan's a legend.
    John Lennon's a legend.

Pete Doherty is not and never will be. Babyshambles are a pretty piss poor band IMO, based more on hype than actual musical achievements.

what?
    look at the amount of awards doherty is getting 4 his music!! did lennon , morrisson, or dylan create an atmosphere around themseleves like pete? no. i really like them, they are great, they are legends, so well done for stating the obvious, but right now doherty IS a legend.he connects with the fans in a way ive never seen anyone do. i seen them play here at the village. he is always on the medias mind, sadly for the wrong reasons some times, purley because people have got an image of him in their heads as being a junky etc. and they are afraid to admit they are wrong about him, any time he makes a mistake, he is blamed with drugs, EVERYTIME, and still makes great music.. so ha.

pete doherty is a legend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

its that ****ty english media, doing what they always do build him up to be there next big thing just to knock him down. just let him and the band be let the music speak for itself which it does and let them get on with taking photos of jordon or some crap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

its a great song IMO, experienced it live on 3 occasions and the atmosphere was amazing, its hard to get that feeling from a cd though and i feel the version to be released doesnt sound as good as some versions available for download (e.g. the zane lowe session version)..the version to be released and the vid can be heard and seen here http://www.nme.com/features/112867.htm

..the title is a reference to the line from the libertines track "what became of the likely lads" in which Barat asks "what became of forever, oh we'll never know" to which doherty is replying "F**K Forever"..........bad news that they have cancelled their upcoming tour to concentrate on finishing the album which many believed was finished, im hoping that it is to record the songs better than for other reasons...

anyway id love to see it go to number one because pete deserves it - but i would have preffered to see him get a number one with the libertines

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭dimerocks

babyshambles are awful why was that not an option in the poll.they are worse than the libertines and they were bad.doherty is an average guitar player and chronic singer.as for the rest of the band its seems as if no one cares.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

PiE wrote:
    Bob Dylan's a legend.
    John Lennon's a legend.

Pete Doherty is not and never will be. Babyshambles are a pretty piss poor band IMO, based more on hype than actual musical achievements.

what?
    look at the amount of awards doherty is getting 4 his music!! did lennon , morrisson, or dylan create an atmosphere around themseleves like pete? no. i really like them, they are great, they are legends, so well done for stating the obvious, but right now doherty IS a legend.he connects with the fans in a way ive never seen anyone do. i seen them play here at the village. he is always on the medias mind, sadly for the wrong reasons some times, purley because people have got an image of him in their heads as being a junky etc. and they are afraid to admit they are wrong about him, any time he makes a mistake, he is blamed with drugs, EVERYTIME, and still makes great music.. so ha.

pete doherty is a legend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats probably the most unintentionally funny posts ive ever read. How one person can be so uninformed is beyond me.
    Pete doherty: Has been 'famous' for all of 5 minutes. Said fame mainly achieved by A) being a drug addict & B) doing a supermodel.

John lennon: Founding member of one of the most influential bands of all time. Fact. (and dont get me wrong, im not even a beatles fan but even i understand how important they were)
    Jim Morrison: Founding memeber of one of the most influential bands of all time. The doors helped shape 70's rock..you can stil hear thier influence today, jim morrison was one of the greatest frontmen of all time, pete doehery could only hope to be as talented as Morrison.

In short: pete doherty, talentless **** up who wouldnt be fit to wipe those mens arses.

To quote Robert DeNiro in Men of Honor

"If he's lucky, he will die young, 200 feet beneath the waves, for that is the closest he'll ever get to being a hero."

I feel the same way about Doherty, if he dies young drug overdose, whatever, he has much more chance of being remembered. Then I can see myself in 10 years time arguing with some young whippersnapper who counted Doherty as his generations Kurt Cobain. Then, Doherty may be considered a ledged since everyone will know about him. Now however, and I hate to break it to you fanboys, when questioned there are alot of people who wouldn't know who Doherty is. There is no way he can be considered a legend, after being in a band with only 2 albums (? I am open to correction on this) and his current band who haven’t even released an album.

To put him down as a legend is total nonsense, despite what music mags like NME hype him up to be.

If he does ever gain genuine stardom instead of his habits or girlfriend. Then he may be considered a legend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭AlienGav

Anyways...

Back on topic! :D

This song is fcukin brilliant! A bit rought round the edges guitar wise, but simply superb!

Doherty is one of the best song writers to come out of Britian since Paul Weller, FACT! :cool:

I hope the Baby Shambles have a looooooooong and successful life. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭dimerocks

there a rumours that they have split already.

A guy once called me a legend for letting him have some of my water after a gig. We all have different ideas as to what a legend is. I would think that to the people who said it, Pete is a legend. Of all the things to be arguing about, wheather he's technically a legend or not is kinda pathetic. If it wasn't for boards I'd have (honestly) heard nothing about him being a drug addict or going out with Kate Moss. I love the Libertines, and what I've heard from Babyshambles so far. I'm only reading this thread to see what people (who like the music) think of the new song, as I haven't heard the studio version of it yet. When a thread isn't about the singer, isn't about the band, but is just about a song, does it really have to come to this kind of ****?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

As much as i hate Pete Doherty,i must say this is a cracking song!wouldnt quite call it anthem tho!As far as Pete Doherty being a legend,well Imo most legends actually turn up to gigs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Its a good song, but I prefer Kilamangiro. Whats the story with him and Carl Barat, does he not like Barat, Barat seems willing to reconcile, I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

Not a legend.

Where's the poll option for 'this song is tripe' or at least a 'Pete Doherty is a talentless mong'?

Sorry, but I really can't see the appeal of him or his band. The tunes just do nothing for me and his tabloid antics get on my nerves.

Anyway back to the point. I don't really like this song. I'd go for 'Average at best'.

• Advertisement

well it got to number 4 in the uk charts - mcfly at number 1!! i know which song i prefer.
    still though i think 4 is a fair reflection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

It's funny. Put someone on TV or in a magazine and every thinks they're important.

Pathetic, really.

this thread is about the song "**** forever" dublindude..... if you wanna slag of pete doherty start a new thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

this thread is about the song "**** forever" dublindude..... if you wanna slag of pete doherty start a new thread.

OK, well I'm listening to **** Forever now and my god, it's terrible. Can he sing? Can anyone play any instruments?? It's sounds like the opening ceromony to the special olympics...being performed by the athletes.

Terrible!

he can sing yeah, as ive said in a previous post i dont like the single version...you can get a download from one of the babyshambles/libertines websites of a zane lowe radio session version - much better - but still not as good as it could have and should have been.

he plays guitar... and a bit on the auld harmonica

feck, theyre number 4 in the charts. Getting a bit too popular, theyre not cool anymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭COCK

The libertines, babyshambles, and pete dougherty especially are so overhyped. Sure Up the bracket is a brilliant album, a modern classic in my view, but after that, they went all ****e and stuff. The second album is not that good, they lost the pub-drunk punk sound they had, and they went all poppy on the second album (ie cant stand me now) and babyshambles is just an extension of the libertines second album, without the coolness of carl barat.

If pete dougherty got his act together (sorry personal stuff), made up with carl barat and got back to that original the jam type sound, then i think they could be really good

and **** forever is a ****e song

is pete doherty bisexual?i heard that he used to shift carl berat onstage at earlier concerts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭moshpit77

This is not a proper poll. I want to register my honest opinion, that the song is rubbish, why can't I?

• Advertisement

moshpit77 wrote:
    This is not a proper poll. I want to register my honest opinion, that the song is rubbish, why can't I?
    You just have. You can't in the poll because that option isn't there, most likely because the OP was looking for the opinions of people who like Babyshambles/Libertines. No point in putting up a "don't like this song" option. Then you'd get a whole host of people who dislike Pete (for whatever personally formed valid reason they might have :rolleyes: ) voting that they hate the song having some of it once, or less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

moshpit77 wrote:

Because IMO it's a fantastic song and I'm looking for honest opinions about really how good the song is. Many people like me think it no doubt a great tune but I wasn't sure about how the finshed version turned out as to whether it was badlt produced/mixed etc. I'm simply looking for opinions from people who like the song and if I did not make this perfectly clear on post 1 I'm sorry. Anytine there has been a thread about Pete is has been full of crap about his personal life and not about the music and for once I want the music to do the talking

Only got around to hearing the song about a week and a half ago. Didn't much like it live, or any live recordings of it, but have to say it's really grown on me recently. I'll go for anthem. Though not as good as Killamangiro. Can't beat that really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

I love it. I prefer the older version than the currently released version too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

It's an alright song, could be better, but hey, that's what I like about Babyshambles and the Libs, none of this, we'll get it perfect even if it takes a million takes crap, there's a great rough and ready feel to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭shuushh

why does he wear that straw hat ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement