Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help please!

Options
  • 18-07-2005 8:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭

I need help. I've just discovered soul music. At least what I think is soul (i was never too good at classifying music). A friend played a cd he burned of some of the stuff he likes and holy crap it was good.
    I've got a few songs: A few Otis Redding, Billie Holiday(strange fruit - Wow!), Smokey Robinson, and i remembered in the film The Commitments were calling themselves 'The saviours of soul' so I got a few of their songs and thought they were pretty good.

So my question is where do I go from here? Any suggestions on Artists or even just particular songs would be very welcome. And are soul and mowotn the same or similar or what? cos my mam has some motown CDs and some of the songs are what i thought are soul. So I would have access to a lot if it's the same.

So any help woul be appreciated very much. Thanx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Sam Cooke, Marvin Gaye, Aretha Franklin - take your pick. Raid those Motown records

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭PunyHuman

Motown is a record label based in Detroit that has put out a bunch of the best soul artists over the years. So, all Motown is soul, but all soul is not Motown.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motown

Just look around, there are plenty of sites offering detailed info on soul/jazz/funk music. You are in for a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭fuse

Get a double CD compilation called "Blues Brother, Soul Sister"
    It's a great collection of some of the best soul tunes made.

Definatly a good place to start from as they're all the most popular & famous tunes, then you can dig deeper into whichever artists you like most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭vibez

Try AL green, legend :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭BogOak

i'm actually kind of jealous of someone who's just discovering such a wealth of brilliant music. a few more names: stevie wonder, the temptations, curtis mayfield, lee dorsey. and why not try a bit of modern soul while you're at it: the brand new heavies, erykah badu.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭StevieG

Yup added to the soul legends mentioned other modern soul worth checking includes anything by Dwele, D'Angelo, John Legend, Alicia Keyes, Angie Stone, Jill Scott etc etc

Advertisement